Looking for opinions on Les McCann Ltd in New York

Tom in RI

I would recommend it. I like all the players here; this has a nice soulful vibe going. Don't pay a lot though. It will surface again as a reissue I bet . . . or a cheaper copy.

This was not a Connoisseur I don't believe; it was an early label reissue, then deleted, then a Collectors' Choice series reissue of the original cd.

This is a very nice live recording, highly recommended. I picked it up as a 'collectors choice' some years ago when Tower (I think) were doing them at about $6.99 each. There was a whole raft of good stuff on offer, including the Bill Potts, the Babs Gonzales and Kenny Drew 'Undercurrent'.

Very nice, although a little ragged (as the notes explain, it was a thrown-together session). The CD also contains one extra tune from the night which wasn't on the original LP, and 2 more tunes from an earlier and unrelated studio session with Curtis Amy and Bobby Hutcherson.

The same Village Gate engagement also produced McCann's "Plays the Shampoo" trio album, and the Turrentine/McCann Blue Note album is from a couple of days later.

Edited by DMP