No Love for Stanley Turrentine set?

I ordered the Turrentine Mosaic yesterday. 

Had a few beers in me, but I don't think I'll regret the decision. 

:g

Oh boy, I buy too much cold sober. I can't imagine what would happen with a few beers. I'd be clicking every "buy it now" icon I could find!!! :blink:

In any case, I don't have the Mr. T. set, but I have at least half the set on LP. You're going to love it!!!

I've got about 2/3 to 3/4 of the set on cd!

I bought it for two sessions. Got all the Japanese masterings already. I'll probably hang on to them as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Great Mosaic Trilogy. The Horace Parlan, the Stanley Turrentine, and the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams. Get it. Understand it. Appreciate it. Groove to it. Enjoy it.

If I have a few beers tonight (and I just might to drown out that horrible piano playing on the part of my wife! ;) ) I will end up purchasing this holy trinity even though I've got all the individual cds.

If I have a few beers tonight I will end up purchasing this holy trinity even though I've got all the individual cds.

You can't go wrong here. :tup

All three sets blend right together. You can go from one box to the next, listen straight-through, and never hear a bad note. You said it, the fucking Holy Trinity, the Cream of the Cream, the Mosaic trilogy of jazz trilogies. Give Mosaic your money, get the merchandise. Listen to it. Learn about it. Be enlightened by it. Don't leave home without it.

Edited by wesbed

No, I play those at my parents' place in Bay Village, Ohio.  Big Victrola there, about the size of a chest of drawers!

I ordered THIS:

Zbox

zbox1.JPG

To use as a preamp between my DEC 685 modified sony SACD player and my Decware EL 34 Monoblocks.

Hmmm . . . based on aesthetics, only, I think I prefer the Victrola--unless you're into that 2001 Monolith kinda look:

monolith.jpg

:g

But NO. . . I've gone on a different path. . . I want it to sound spectacular, I don't care what it LOOKS like!

Forget THIS

shanlingSP80_L.jpg

I want THIS

se34m.jpg (that is one of my Monoblck amps).

And I'd LOVE one of these for my Ovation Breadwinner!

se84GC.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

My Turrentine Mosaic set has just arrived and so far it's sounding great - a definite :tup for this one. I went straight to disk 5 for the 'Another Story' material and - wow - how come this session is so obscure? Stanley's solo feature on 'Stella By Starlight' is just beautiful, one of his best ever ballad features I think. The front line with Thad is a very compatible pairing.

Another good example of Mosaic taking a logical grouping of undeservedly obscure sessions as a vehicle to feature particular aspects of the artist in question and add new 'focus' to his legacy. Sound quality sounds AOK to me too, although I've yet to check the first couple of disks. The usual great session photos in the booklet too, thanks to the Francis Wolff archive.

So far, so good !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Time to revive this ancient thread as I got my Stanley T box this week, hooray! :D

I must really say that I think the sound on the first disc is downright horrible.

WAAAAAY too trebly. Once again I must note that I'm anything BUT an

audiophile, but this is really hard to listen to (the cymbals really hurt my ears).

On my home stereo I can just turn the treble way down and then it sounds fine

but I can't do this that easily on my discman and my car radio.

Did the original US CD version of Comin' Your Way sound that bad as well?

I fear I'm gonna have to do some doctoring myself (no idea how at this point...)

or just grab a copy of the old version. It really is pretty annoying! :(

Btw, the rest of the set sounds fine to me (yes, even disc two, although it

often gets lumped together with the first when it comes to audio complaints). :)

And the music is excellent, but then that was pretty clear from the start. :D

Edited by Kyo

I listented to disc 1 yesterday. Sounded fine to me. I like lots of treble. Stanley's sound is very deep so the cymbal work is a nice trebbly compliment.

Maybe my ears aren't sophisticated enough.

But then wouldn't the other discs in the set sound dull or "muffled" to you?

I listented to disc 1 yesterday. Sounded fine to me. I like lots of treble. Stanley's sound is very deep so the cymbal work is a nice trebbly compliment.

Will get back to you on that, Chief. Have to pull em out and give them another listen. ;)

Will get back to you on that, Chief. Have to pull em out and give them another listen. ;)

Don't burden yourself with having to listen to Stanley's music on my account. :lol: