Robert Farnon RIP ..

SGUD missile

To those who know me a bit, you'd quickly find out that probably my two biggest influences as a composer/arranger are Bill Holman and Bob Farnon:

I just received this terrible news from a friend in England.

>>Dear Phil

I have just heard that Bob passed away in the early hours of this morning. He was 87.

He was working right up to the end having just completed his Third Symphony,a Concerto for Basson,and a Wind Symphony. Working so hard I\'m sure he must have know time was running out.

We shall never see his like again.

Best

Mal

This is really a terrible loss to the community of composers. As my friend said, they'll never be another of his stature. Farnon was without a doubt the best pop orchestral writer in the world, as well as having jazz projects with JJ Johnson, George Shearing, Dizzy Gillespie, and many fine vocalists like Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra in his 60plus year career ..

RIP Bob ..

Phil Kelly

That's very sad news - thanks for posting this. I'm certainly a fan of the LP with JJ. No news of this on the media that I can see here in the UK but maybe it will feature in the press tomorrow. RIP Bob Farnon.

A terrible week for jazz-related fatalities. It will be good to see the back of this one.

Still uncovering/discovering his legacy, but obviously a talent to be reckoned with, to put it mildly. Hate it such the discoveries are posthumous, but that's how it is sometimes for those of us who are late getting the message.

Oh well, a life is temporary, but a life's work lasts forever, hopefully.

Sorry to hear this, although I must say 87 years is a nice run. Time to return again to these...

Phineas Newborn- While My Lady Sleeps (RCA)

The Complete Sarah Vaughan On Mercury, Vol. 4 "1963-1967"

J. J. Johnson- Tangence (Verve)

George Shearing- How Beautiful Is Night (Telarc)

Joe Williams- Here's To Life (Telarc)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but from listening to Farnon's work on While My Lady Sleeps [my least favorite P. Newborn record] and Tangence I'd say there were dozens of arrangers whose music I prefer to his.

That being said, it's always sad when someone passes, so RIP.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but from listening to Farnon's work on While My Lady Sleeps [my least favorite P. Newborn record] and Tangence I'd say there were dozens of arrangers whose music I prefer to his.

That being said, it's always sad when someone passes, so RIP.

Well, when it comes to that kind of thing, I'm still a Nelseon Riddle/Claus Ogerman guy myself, but they both swore/swear by Farnon, who, it seems was doing the "modern harmony on pop records" thing before either of them. Plus - a few jazz players whose harmonic sense I greatly admire (notably, Herbie Hancock) swear by Farnon as well. And Phil Kelley ain't no slouch as a writer, either, trust me, if you do not already know.

So - I got to accept all that, the opinion of those playing the same game as Farnon played, those whose work I hold in high esteem, and I'm ready to admit that perhaps what I'm lacking is a sense of historical perspective, which can only be cured by research, which is always fun, if sometimes expensive. but hey - that's life!

I hate to be a lone voice of dissent, especially in time of Phil's grieving, but what I hear in Farnon's arranging is some major syrup.

Be that as it may, and with all due respectfor individual taste:

If you took a poll of all the really good pop arrangers all over the world like Andre Previn, John Mandel, Marion Evans, Bob Brookmeyer, Don Sebeskey, Sam Nestico, Jonathan Tunick, Allen Broadbent,John Williams, ( including the ones you've cited Riddle and Ogerman )...

I'll bet you any amount of money ALL of them to a man would cite Bob Farnon as a major influence on the craft of orchestral writing in the 20tht century.

Guest Chaney

April 23, 2005

Composer Robert Farnon Dies at 87

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONDON (AP) -- Robert Farnon, the Canadian-born composer and arranger, has died at the age of 87, his former manager said Saturday.

Farnon, who was regarded as one of the greatest composers of light orchestral music of his era, died at a hospice near his home on the Channel Island of Guernsey on Friday night, Derek Boulton said. He did not give a cause of death.

Also an accomplished trumpeter, Farnon wrote the music for more than 40 films, including ''Spring In Park Lane,'' ''Maytime in Mayfair'' and ''Captain Horatio Hornblower RN.''

He won four Ivor Novello music awards, including one for Outstanding Services to British Music in 1991, and garnered a Grammy award for achievement in 1995.

Farnon first came to England as conductor of the Canadian Band of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in 1944 and made the country his home at the end of World War II. He has lived in Guernsey for 40 years.

Farnon is survived by his wife, Pat, and four children. Funeral details were not immediately available.

I forgot to mention that in addition to Robert and Dennis, there is a third musician-brother, Brian.

That Robert was a fine jazz-swing arranger/orchestrator 'way back is proven on some CDs compiled by my friend, broadcaster/journalist Glen Woodcock, featuring the Canadian Band of the Allied Expeditionary Force (the Canadian equivalent of the Miller AAF Band; George Melachrino led the British version). Farnon was the director and main orchestrator, and those who have heard the Canadian group almost universally agree that it was equal to Miller's, and swung a hell of a lot more.

If anyone's interested in hearing that group, saved in airchecks of reasonable quality, I'll dig out an eMail address to Woodcock, who may still have a few copies around.

JIm R., and Dmitri, please pay attention:  the orchestrator on the Phineas record is Dennis Farnon, Robert's brother.

Oops.

I maligned the innocent brother.

It was Dennis that I didn't care for.

Thanks for correcting me.

You just keep diggin' the hole deeper ..

Dennis Farnon is a friend of mine!

:tdown:tdown

RE: Dmitry on J.J. Johnson's 'Tangence' , (quote) "I'd say there were dozens of arrangers whose music I prefer to his (Farnon)." Your ignorance on the art of jazz arranging is on full display.

Recording with Farnon in '94 had to be J.J.'s last dream fulfilled.

The Farnon arrangements are devastating in their complexity and voicings.

Dmitry, I can only hope someday you'll 'get it'.

Farnon had also written a suite for Dizzy Gillespie ( who was a big Farnon fan as well ) in the 70s which never got recorded because of some union or contractual hassles at the time.

I really would have loved to have heard that combination!

BTW: According to Dizzy, Bob Farnon was a very respectable jazz trumpet player in his early years..

JIm R., and Dmitri, please pay attention:  the orchestrator on the Phineas record is Dennis Farnon, Robert's brother.

Oops.

I maligned the innocent brother.

It was Dennis that I didn't care for.

Thanks for correcting me.

You just keep diggin' the hole deeper ..

Dennis Farnon is a friend of mine!

:tdown:tdown

Is this supposed to shame me somehow?

If I don't care for Farnon's arranging of When My Lady Sleeps, I'm stepping on some kind of an absolute truth?

We shall pity Dmitry, proceed with the topic thread, and continue to praise Robert Farnon.

He was excellent with a swinging big band but UNRIVALED with an orchestra -- his true medium. I've already posted about the subtle (to the point of) devastating complexity of his arranging. But let me quote from the AMG site:

"In addition to its melodic content, Farnon's music is noted for its deceptively complex internal structure, which makes it as interesting as it is attractive."

Please note the lack of pretense and overt self-attention in Farnon's writing. This sublime talent reduced the pool of top arrangers to a gallery effusive in their praise. "Robert Farnon is the greatest string writier in the world," as Andre Previn said. I've read how Johnny Mandel, Quincy Jones, and John Williams were equally awestruck by Farnon while developing and honing their skills.

Let me recommend some earlier albums (the two on Philips with Quincy as Music Director and Producer):

Philips 600-038 'The Sensuous Strings of Robert Farnon' (1963)

Philips 600-098 'The Captain From Castile' (1964)

MPS/Pausa 7116 George Shearing Trio w/ Farnon Orch. 'On Target' (1979-80)

MPS-22335 Singers Unlimited w/ Farnon Orch. 'Sentimental Journey' (1974)

about which Gene Lees wrote,"It's difficult to imagine how one can improve on perfection. But they've done it."

We're talking about the art of arranging at the highest level. Within each tune, the keen listener will continuously be rewarded by Farnon's interfacing sectional music petals which slowly progress to reveal a most beautiful flower.

We shall pity Dmitry, proceed with the topic thread, and continue to praise Robert Farnon.

He was excellent with a swinging big band but UNRIVALED with an orchestra -- his true medium. I've already posted about the subtle (to the point of) devastating complexity of his arranging. But let me quote from the AMG site:

"In addition to its melodic content, Farnon's music is noted for its deceptively complex internal structure, which makes it as interesting as it is attractive."

Please note the lack of pretense and overt self-attention in Farnon's writing. This sublime talent reduced the pool of top arrangers to a gallery effusive in their praise. "Robert Farnon is the greatest string writier in the world," as Andre Previn said. I've read how Johnny Mandel, Quincy Jones, and John Williams were equally awestruck by Farnon while developing and honing their skills.

Let me recommend some earlier albums (the two on Philips with Quincy as Music Director and Producer):

Philips 600-038 'The Sensuous Strings of Robert Farnon' (1963)

Philips 600-098 'The Captain From Castile' (1964)

MPS/Pausa 7116 George Shearing Trio w/ Farnon Orch. 'On Target' (1979-80)

MPS-22335 Singers Unlimited w/ Farnon Orch. 'Sentimental Journey' (1974)

about which Gene Lees wrote,"It's difficult to imagine how one can improve on perfection. But they've done it."

We're talking about the art of arranging at the highest level. Within each tune, the keen listener will continuously be rewarded by Farnon's interfacing sectional music petals which slowly progress to reveal a most beautiful flower.

Thanks Bill:

Your post reinforces why arrangers have been studying his scores for years. The "subtleties " seem to escape our poster Dmitry, but that's his loss .. It wasn't lost on Previn, Mandel, Ogerman, Evans ( Marion ), Jorge Calandrelli, Jeremy Lubbock, Peter Matz, Torrie Zito, Don Costa or any of the other really accomplished arrangers/ Farnonites..

All I know, is I've been intensely studying Bob for 40 years, and he's helped turn me into a pretty good string /orchestral writer ..much more so than any BS I learned in school.

BTW: Check out the "Horatio Hornblower " score .."Lady Barbara " is one of my favorites!

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Phil, how would you contrast/compare Farnon & Riddle in terms of actual techniques? My exposure to Riddle is far greater than to Farnon, but I seem to "hear" Riddle better, perhaps just through familiarity. But I wonder if it might also be a matter of differing techniques.

Assuming that you don't mind giving a free lesson over the internet, that is...

I know what you're talking about, Phil.

Let's tip those who might enjoy Farnon's finest 'classical' recording:

Reference Recordings RR-47CD 'Robert Farnon: Concert Works (1992, DDD)

Robert Farnon with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Recorded August 13-14, 1991 at Watford Town Hall, London, England

featuring the Suite from 'Captain Horatio Hornblower' with 'Lady Barbara'

Of all the arrangers we've mentioned, perhaps Claus Ogerman came the closest to this plateau of achievement in his recording with the London Symphony Orch. performing his 'Preludio & Chant', 'Elegia' and 'Symphonic Dances' (1988, DDD, on MFSL).

On comparing Riddle with Farnon --

The short answer is,"They're not even on the same level."

Not counting Sinatra, I've got 10 Riddle albums. And while they're enjoyable, bouncy, and swinging, NOT ONCE have I lifted the tonearm and place it back down to find the answer to,"How the hell did he do THAT?"

As I'm not a writer or player, I'll have to opt out of the technical explanations.

Phil might well respond with,"Sent you a PM."

As he said,"I've been intensely studying Bob (Farnon) for 40 years."