Marchel Ivery in Austin this Friday 4/29

Soul Stream

Thanks Lon. It's going to be a real pleasure to play again with Marchel. He's truely one of the greatest jazz sax players alive imho. Also looking forward to Roger Boykin, although I haven't heard him, was a great guitarist in Dallas back in the day. Also, JJ Johnson on drums is my favorite drummer here in Austin, although recently he's been on the road with John Mayer, he's super organic and a great guy too.

Should be a funky good time.

Roger Boykin is an all-around badmuthashutyomouth. Guitarist, pianist, saxophonist, composer, conversationalist, disc jockey, you name it. One of my very most favorite local musicians, by a wide margin. Tell him & Marchel that Gomer says hey (or words to that effect ;) ).

For once I wish I wasn't gigging this Friday. I'd make the trip. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by JSngry

Roger Boykin is an all-around badmuthashutyomouth. Guitarist, pianist, saxophonist, composer, conversationalist, disc jockey, you name it. One of my very most favorite local musicians, by a wide margin. Tell him & Marchel that Gomer says hey (or words to that effect ;) ).

For once I wish I wasn't gigging this Friday. I'd make the trip. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Cool, I will Jim. Looking forward to meeting and playing with Roger. He sounds like one of those rare breeds we don't see anymore.

One piece of friendly advice - get Roger to talking, and listen, no matter where he goes wth it.

Nuff said. ;)

I can vouch for that...

Do you know Roger, Joe?

Not as Jim does, but I have had at least a couple of very enlightening, as well as entertaining, conversations with the man.

And I once bumped into Marchel while coming out of the [super] Kroger on Greenville and Mockingbird...

Edited by Joe

Well?

Yeah, Jim it was cool! How can playing with Marchel not be!? Anyway, it turned out to be more of a R&B ala 60's gig more than anything else. Roger Boykin was pretty much callin' the shots and came in with the set list to lay the funk and blues down for the kids. I tell you one thing, Marchel Ivery must be the only jazz sax player alive who wholeheartedly plays Ram-bunk-shush by Bill Doggett and Giant Steps with EQUAL enjoyment and ferver. Marchel is what you always thought Jazz sax WAS and SHOULD BE....guys who grew up playing stuff like Honky Tonk and then went on to Miles, Monk and Coltrane as a natural progession. It's all the same to guys like that, just good music.

Marchel is just awesome! Period. The best tenor alive imho. That guy's my hero. :tup

Sounds like it was a GREAT show! Wish I could've gotten down there to see that.

Never talked to Roger Boykin, but I did have the pleasure of hearing him play piano a few years back at Sambuca's in Deep Ellum. What a wonderful night THAT was, with Joe & Joe Christmas.

Hear Marchel & Roger play "Cold Duck Time":

zzsouthdallaspopfesti_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/warehouscd5.htm#72707

Believe it or not, he and I work for a few of the same bandleaders - cats who play lounge gigs for older crowds who want to dance to standards & R&B all night long, and don't really care to think about the difference (if they even know that it's supposed to be different, which I seriously doubt :g ). To the JAZZ WORLD, we're as different as we can be - Marchel the virtuoso hard bopper, and me, the freaky "out" player. But when the lights are low and nobody from that world is around (hell, they don't even KNOW about these kind of gigs), our mutual love of old-school R&B cum jazz (or, as I like to call it, "Bluebop") keeps some spending money in the pocket, and everybody is happy.

The roads diverge rather severely further on up, but they begin in the same place. Definitely.

I remember seeing Marchel play at a now-defunct Dallas club called "The Jazz Connection" back in the mid-90's. I think Joey D was on the organ. I bet there were 6 people in there, max. Too bad because they missed a burnin' set that night. I went because of Joey but sat amazed at Ivery. I bought one of his Leaning House Jazz CDs that night.

I also saw him at the Addison Jazz club (Sambuca's?) where the planes take off and the their lights come up behind the stage. First time it happens, it freaks you out. Once again, Ivery was on his game.

There are only a few things I miss from my days on the road... seeing Marchel Ivery down in the Dallas area is one of them.

Kevin

Years ago, he played at the Caravan of Dreams, and the first set was his regular group, playing bebop, and the second set Cornell Dupree came out (otherwise the same group), and they completely switched into playing blues/rhythm and blues. That was one great set.

I wish I had heard that gig in Austin!

Marchel is the man; since James Clay left us, he is the elder statesman of bop tenor in these here parts! (of course, there is Billy Briggs, 77 years old and going strong, but he is more a swing era player). Guys like this who are still at it - and GOOD at it - are my fucking heroes!

I remember in the late 70's, going over the long-defunct Recovery Room and asking Marchel if I could sit in. He'd look at me with barely concealed disdain (a 19 year old trombone player - A WHITE one at that??)

He'd let me play anyway. I learned so many tunes from him that way. And if I was lucky, Red Garland would pop in! Now, I get to do an occasional sextet gig with Marchel, and feeling so blessed to be given the opportunity.

Jim, I know that you hung around the RR too, but somehow we never crossed paths much then.

I remember the Jazz Connection. It was started by the cat who played a supporting doctor role on Doogie Howser. Great club, but an extremely poor choice of location.

Dallas jazz clubs just don't seem to have much of a shelf life.

I asked Marchel how Dallas was and he said "I've been trying to get out of it." ;) It's a shame he isn't exposed to a wider audience. He's just so good and for someone who's 70, he looks and acts like an energetic 50 something. He also has a 2 year old daughter if that tells you something! :D

Yeah, for me.....he's it. For example, we played Honky Tonk and Marchel basically turned into Clifford Scott. He played that solo note-for-note with authenticity like you can't even imagine, said he used to play it with his high school marching band, trumpets played the guitar intro!

Oh well, I could go on. Needless to say it was, and always is, a lesson from the master. The next day Marchel was playing a jazz fest up in Denton killing Cherokee and Laura no doubt.