Audio Graveyard?

jazzbo

One part of a room in my house is sort of an Audio Graveyard. . . . Components that have either died through malfunction or have become dormant with disuse.

I've got a great Philips cassette deck in there that I discovered doesn't QUITE turn at the correct speed. SO I can play tapes I recorded on it, but not other tapes. . . and tapes recorded on it aren't quite right on other tape decks and vice versa. It sounds good and works flawlessly otherwise!

I've got a Proton preamp that has one blown channel. In the midst of figuring out who to get to repair that I bought the 1959 EICO integrated amplifier that I used for a few years. . . .

The EICO amp now resides there too. It has a problem, I've dealt all the tubes out to other uses, it's just an old friend taking a long rest.

The companion Proton power amp (50 watt per channel with "power envelope," really a clean powerful amp) only gets used now and then. It doesn't have the tube magic, that's its major failing, it's a fine amp otherwise.

There is a really heavy well-built pair of Knight Audio speakers that are functionally perfect. . . . Sound a little dry for my tastes and need quite a bit of power to get them up and moving.

These probably sound really good with the Knight Audio early transistor integrated amp they came with, which is probably tubby on other speakers. I've never powered that up; I don't have the right sort of speaker wire terminations to use with it, looks sort of as if they need a banana plug sort of dual set up. Inherited this from my wife's aunt along with a B&O system; put the B&O to use and this Knight Audio amp is in the graveyard.

I've got a really nice Cambridge Audio CD-One transport that is made to clock-slave to the Cambridge Audio Magic One DAC that it sits on. . . . The DAC has one blown channel. I bought the Dynaco cd player I used for some time when that channel blew and I've never fixed it. The transport works really well BUT it seems without the clock connected to the DAC it doesn't put out track information! So it isn't any good for me for use as a transport to feed my HHB Burner.

I have one of the very first one-bit cd players, a Harmon Kardon, that still works though it has become finicky about cdrs. This is such a nice all around smooth and warm player that I just keep it in the graveyard. . . just in case, right?

Also there's a PS Audio CD-1 cd player, "the first audiophile cd player built" if you believe them, that I bought off ebay on a lark. It said it didn't quite work. That's true. If you put in a cd it gives an error message as soon as it reads the contents. Haven't looked in to having that repaired. It's a heavy impressive piece of machinary!

There's a Dual tuner that used to work fine but last time I tried it. . . it didn't! Which just reinforced my opinion that I didn't need a tuner! ;)

There are a few other items as well. I bet I'm not the ONLY one with this "graveyard." Sometimes. . . I hear the pieces wail quietly in the night. . . . B-)

Edited by jazzbo

Off the top of my head....

1) B&O 4002 Turntable

2) B&O Beogram TX-2 Turntable

3) Adcom GDA-535 and GFA-555 amps

4) M&K crossover

5) A couple of Nakamichi cassette decks (700 series and Cassette Deck 1)

6) Fosgate surround sound processor.

All still operational (I think B-) ) except the TX-2.

A number of years ago I had interest in the home theater/multi-channel music thing and I bought a Denon AVR-5803 receiver. I've lost interest in that approach and I'm on a back to basics kick. I can't replace everything at once so I'm making due with the Denon for now. Actually, a pretty nice audio section as far as receivers go.

Yes, I bought my dad a Denon receiver to replace an old Pioneer he was using and he loves it. He has a Denon cd player as well. It's only got about 30 watts, but he has full range EV speakers in a killer stereo cabinet handbuilt by a pro in 1964, and it IS a nice sounding system, fills up the big living room/dining room area with nice sound.

What was originally in that cabinet was a Dynaco pre and power amp and tuner and an AR turntable. That was what I grew up on and I was spoiled!

What was originally in that cabinet was a Dynaco pre and power amp and tuner and an AR turntable. That was what I grew up on and I was spoiled!

No shit!!! You were very lucky.

This thread reminds me to send in my old(1985) Conrad-Johnson pre, that finally quit working. All I have in the closet is a cassette deck and one old, cheap amp.

I usually sell or trade in stuff when it's served it's purpose.

Edited by wolff

_41083241_weeeman_416.jpg

A three-tonne humanoid figure made out of electronic waste is being unveiled on London's South Bank.

To illustrate the size of the e-waste problem, the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) has built the sculpture, which weighs three tonnes and stands seven metres tall.

read more ...

Edited by jazzscriveyn

_41083241_weeeman_416.jpg

A three-tonne humanoid figure made out of electronic waste is being unveiled on London's South Bank.

To illustrate the size of the e-waste problem, the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) has built the sculpture, which weighs three tonnes and stands seven metres tall.

read more ...

Hey, I think I see my ceedee player up there. :D:D

I have three more or less wrecked tape decks (all very cheap or gifts by upgrading firends), and one late 1960's Teleton receiver that needs some fuse and one microchip replaced - I won't dispense it as it has a unique feature - you can seamlessly blend from stereo to mono - wish my current amp had that.

Gave a pair of speakers to a friend who saw his speaker cones turning into black dust ...

Is it possible still to find guys who will repair very old audio equipment?

I have a great 60s(?) Grenadier stereo record deck with a separate chunky speaker with its own controls which I found in Falkirk a few years back for £30.00. A couple of weeks back the motor drive just packed in though everything else is still working. I haven't a clue where to even begin looking in the UK for someone who could fix it but its a lovely piece of kit and I don't want to throw it out.

Mind you I am still using the Trio amp I bought in 1973 (and I have managed to find another two for when this one gives out) on my main system.