Sell or Take?

Things are getting interesting.

I've still not settled on a place yet, but continue with the moving plans. :wacko:

My question to you folks...

I'm going to hire a moving company, and that shit ain't cheap. Do you think I would be better off selling most of my furniture and buying new when I get where I'm going?

I'm thinking I will practically break even after I save the cash in shipping costs.

Thoughts?

If you can or have to ask, sell and buy new at the new destination.

I couldn't even pose the question as 90% of our furniture is handpicked by my wife or from her family. . . and they have been moved before and they will be moved next time we move! I'd ship my bed as well; bought an all latex bed, love it, don't want to replace it, should last for many many more years.

Your current furniture may not fit into your new place. Unless any of it is valuable, why don't you get new furniture for the next place? Strong chance that the new ones will look and fit better there.

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

I like the stuff, but it is big and bulky. As it is I had a hard time fitting it in my palatial bachelor pad after I got divorced. -_-

Just make damn sure it is a reputable company whichever way you go. I am sure you have heard the horror stories of companies holding people's furnishings hostage, til they cough up more money.(Just the type of crime that doesn't interest state governments all that much)

Might want to figure some way to ship/insure cds separately as well.

Just make damn sure it is a reputable company whichever way you go. I am sure you have heard the horror stories of companies holding people's furnishings hostage, til they cough up more money.(Just the type of crime that doesn't interest state governments all that much)

Might want to figure some way to ship/insure cds separately as well.

Audio gear and cds are coming with me.

I'm going to use a major company like North American, Mayflower, or Allied.

They should for the most part only be hauling boxes.

Barb and I have already started debating this. We won't be taking much when we move, but she wants to go with a moving company while I want to go the U-Haul route. I figure anything you don't mind losing or having destroyed, you can give to the moving guys...

Barb and I have already started debating this. We won't be taking much when we move, but she wants to go with a moving company while I want to go the U-Haul route. I figure anything you don't mind losing or having destroyed, you can give to the moving guys...

Did I miss something? Where you goin', Mark?

Mark, if you do decide to rent a truck, try Budget. Better equipment, and probably a better price.

Barb and I have already started debating this.  We won't be taking much when we move, but she wants to go with a moving company while I want to go the U-Haul route.  I figure anything you don't mind losing or having destroyed, you can give to the moving guys...

Mark, if you do decide to rent a truck, try Budget. Better equipment, and probably a better price.

Thanks!