Collecting Miles 1950-1955

bluesbro

I want to start collecting Miles records after the Birth of the Cool sessions and before he joined Columbia. I got all the Relaxin, Cookin, Workin, Steamin, Walkin Prestige albums. So, where should I go next? Any outstanding sessions I should get first?

I want to start collecting Miles records after the Birth of the Cool sessions and before he joined Columbia. I got all the Relaxin, Cookin, Workin, Steamin, Walkin Prestige albums. So, where should I go next? Any outstanding sessions I should get first?

I'd say the best is Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants (which is really a basic staple of post-war jazz), followed by Bags' Groove and Walkin'. I'd put the BN studio studio sessions below those. Other stuff of note off the top of my head -- the Dig session with Art Blakey, Sonny Rollins and Jackie McLean. And the Collector's Items album; this one has both Bird and Sonny Rollins on tenor, as well as a later (excellent) session with Rollins.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Look for these Prestige albums:

- Colector's Items, with Charlie Parker on a borrowed tenor and Sonny Rollins,

- Walkin', a classic!

- Miles Davis All Star Sextet/Quintet (with Milt Jackson and Jackie McLean)

- don't forget 'Miles', the initial album with The Quintet with Coltrane, Garland, Chambers, PJ Jones

also check out the soundtrack to the film 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud'!

B000000Y5M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BLUE HAZE

I don't know why, but this one is typically forgotten, despite the fact that it has John Lewis, Charles Mingus, Percy Heath, Max Roach, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Dave Schildkraut, and Kenny Clarke, and includes "four", "tune up", "when lights are low", "I'll remember april", and more...

Why not just buy the Prestige box. I believe it's got everything there and you'd have it all in one place.

Three reasons: 1) too expensive for me, 2) I already got some of these dates and 3) I want to collect as many of the K2 remasters. I compared a couple with the regular CD's and I heard a big difference. I dont think the box was remastered like the K2.

Why not just buy the Prestige box.  I believe it's got everything there and you'd have it all in one place.

Three reasons: 1) too expensive for me, 2) I already got some of these dates and 3) I want to collect as many of the K2 remasters. I compared a couple with the regular CD's and I heard a big difference. I dont think the box was remastered like the K2.

I have the Japanese version of the box set which is K2 remastered.

Why not just buy the Prestige box.  I believe it's got everything there and you'd have it all in one place.

:excited: Wow!! I did not that exist! I am going to check that out, but I know its going to be expen$ive.

:excited: Wow!! I did not that exist! I am going to check that out, but I know its going to be expen$ive.

Probably. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up, used but mint, for less than $60.