The complete Paul Desmond RCA Victor recordings

Okay, I can imagine a top 20 saxophonists list that leaves out either Dexter, Newk, or Desmond. But not all three.

Who IS in your top 20?

And calling Desmond, even at his most laid back, "Bachelor Pad Music," is like calling Steely Dan "Soft Rock." Those designations speak to context, perhaps, but not to content.

The subversive genius of both Desmond and Becker & Fagan is that they got over to the general public with little or no compromise, their slick surface manner concealing their thorny matter. Had Desmond played with Tristano rather than Brubeck, say, or Steely Dan eschewed L.A., they'd be revered by the fringe-meisters.

That being said, a lot of later Evans leaves me cold, too. But I don't make a crusade of it. And I'm open to revising my opinion at a later date.

Live and learn, kid. Live and learn.

And I must add that NOBODY except a few odd friends told me to like jazz when I started listening to it in the late 1970s when I was in high school. They mostly told me to like what is now called "Classic Rock." All those mediocre bands that I still have to hear every day where I work: Bachman Turner Overdrive, Boston, latter-day Floyd, Foreigner, Peter fucking Frampton, and KISS for god's sake. This is classic? Give me the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, or The Who any day; or better still, give me Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, or P-Funk. Why don't "Classic Rock" stations play THEM? I guess because they're good and/or black.

Seriously, what DO you like?

(Chuck Nessa, May 9 2005, 09:51 PM) Geez, I'm most attracted to very early and very late Evans. The rest gives me "heebie jeebies". 

By "later Evans" I meant anything after the early-to-mid 1960s. I've heard many speak of a late-life renaiassance for Evans, and I need to investigate that. What are his best late recordings?

(Chuck Nessa, May 9 2005, 09:51 PM) Geez, I'm most attracted to very early and very late Evans. The rest gives me "heebie jeebies". 

By "later Evans" I meant anything after the early-to-mid 1960s. I've heard many speak of a late-life renaiassance for Evans, and I need to investigate that. What are his best late recordings?

Try this one; a favorite of mine:

YOU MUST BELIEVE IN SPRING"

WARNER BROS. RECORDS (Rhino) R2-73719

BILL EVANS- Piano

EDDIE GOMEZ- Bass

ELIOT ZIGMUND- Drums

Recorded August 1977

Produced by Helen Keane and Tommy LiPuma

Try this one; a favorite of mine:

YOU MUST BELIEVE IN SPRING"

WARNER BROS. RECORDS (Rhino) R2-73719

BILL EVANS- Piano

EDDIE GOMEZ- Bass

ELIOT ZIGMUND- Drums

Recorded August 1977

Produced by Helen Keane and Tommy LiPuma

That indeed is a terrific album. :tup

days of wine and roses, for example. a tune that people usually play in a lush, relaxed manner. he rushes through it like he's going to die the next year.

(1) It's problematic that he played it differently than the way it's usually played? :blink:

(2) "...as if he's going to die the next year." Uh... yeah. Irony intentional there?

days of wine and roses, for example. a tune that people usually play in a lush, relaxed manner. he rushes through it like he's going to die the next year.

(1) It's problematic that he played it differently than the way it's usually played? :blink:

I'm so glad Brötzelmeister never tackled that tune! It would be all over in those shopping malls, no escape! Brötzmann is the *worst* in easy listening smooth jazz!

Proof! :P

if only 5% of the people replying to this thread would reply to my 'looking for' items, and be able to supply them, i'd have some cool oop stuff.

I guess over 95% must be turned off by your posting record of being an abrasive dickhead. I know I was when you approached me a couple of years back about some Jaco tapes I had played on the radio.

Edited by Big Wheel