Kenny Burrell

montg

As mentioned ' Solero' and ' Man At Work' on Chess and Argo are really good. Has anyone mentioned the twin set Ellington tribute, ' Ellington Is Forever ' on Fantasy ?

Not a guitar dominated session but a great band effort. I also like the set with Jimmy Raney 'Two Guitars' on OJC. Don't forget the others on OJC, 'Kenny Burrell' and ' Bluesy Burrell' come to mind, there may be others.

One more is 'Ellington A La Carte' on Muse, which is really good.

Edited by kinuta

How about Burrell as co-leader?  John Jenkins & Kenny Burrell on Blue Note.  Just got this and think it's quite good, actually.  Just wish Burrell took the spotlight more, but Jenkins sounds good as does Sonny Clark.

One of my favorite Blue Note sessions. Here is another co-lead:

B0000248DJ.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:tup

How about Burrell as co-leader?  John Jenkins & Kenny Burrell on Blue Note.  Just got this and think it's quite good, actually.  Just wish Burrell took the spotlight more, but Jenkins sounds good as does Sonny Clark.

This is a surprisingly good album. I stumbled upon it used some years ago and got it mainly for Sonny Clark, but everyone shines on it.

Also, another plus about Blue Lights and At the Five Spot is they both have some Tina Brooks on them. :tup to that.

Come to think of it, I have yet to buy a Kenny Burrell album that disappointed at all, and I've got about ten of 'em. You almost can't go wrong with the guy.

I have yet to buy a Kenny Burrell album that disappointed at all, and I've got about ten of 'em.  You almost can't go wrong with the guy.

I have... :unsure: ... hmm, take what you have and multiply by about 8 or 9 (hey, KB has been just about my favorite jazz musician for almost 30 years), and you're right- you can't go wrong. B-)

I'm tellin' ya- check out SOUL CALL, MOTEN SWING, and NIGHT SONG. Three of my alltime favorites that tend to get overlooked due to KB's great and prolific output (especially on Blue Note). His tone on these approaches heavenly perfection on some tracks, IMO. (For example, when I listen to "People will say we're in love" from MOTEN SWING, I crank the volume up and just sit there and dream that someday I might get a sound like that)... (and the ability to phrase like that :wub: ).

I'll second Blue Lights, Midnight Blue, Blue Bash and the Five Spot date

Not familiar with Blue Bash but agree on the others. I would add the 2 cd Conn. Introducing Kenny Burrell to the list.

My least favorite of the well known Burrell's is the date with Coltrane. For some reason that one has never hit me and I love KB.

• 10 months later...

I'm tellin' ya- check out SOUL CALL, MOTEN SWING, and NIGHT SONG. Three of my alltime favorites that tend to get overlooked due to KB's great and prolific output (especially on Blue Note). His tone on these approaches heavenly perfection on some tracks, IMO. (For example, when I listen to "People will say we're in love" from MOTEN SWING, I crank the volume up and just sit there and dream that someday I might get a sound like that)... (and the ability to phrase like that :wub: ).

I have been on a bit of a Burrell kick - I have always loved Soul Call and Moten Swing (back from the lp days). Picked up Night Song a year ago based on one of the threads here.

I agree with you on his tone ... wow :excited::excited:

Here are some Kenny Burrell recordings that I like which have not yet been mentioned.

Introducing Kenny Burrell - Blue Note

Bluesey Burrell - Prestige/Moodsville

Kenny Burrell/Jimmy Raney - Two Guitars - Prestige

Kenny Burrell - Prestige (w. cecil payne, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones)

Three of those actually were mentioned above, but they bear repeating. :cool:

Eric, here's a shot of KB with the Gibson L5 he was using circa '63 / '64, customized with a "Charlie Christian" pickup... what a sound.

kb722a4.jpg

Apparently that guitar was lost or stolen. :(

On "Night Song", and some other recordings from the late '60's, he was using a bigger guitar (an 18" D'Angelico), also with a single-coil pickup (a DeArmond 1100).

Kenny%20Burrel%202.jpg

Luscious sound.

Here are some Kenny Burrell recordings that I like which have not yet been mentioned.

Introducing Kenny Burrell - Blue Note

Bluesey Burrell - Prestige/Moodsville

Kenny Burrell/Jimmy Raney - Two Guitars - Prestige

Kenny Burrell - Prestige (w. cecil payne, Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, Elvin Jones)

Three of those actually were mentioned above, but they bear repeating. :cool:

Eric, here's a shot of KB with the Gibson L5 he was using circa '63 / '64, customized with a "Charlie Christian" pickup... what a sound.

kb722a4.jpg

Apparently that guitar was lost or stolen. :(

On "Night Song", and some other recordings from the late '60's, he was using a bigger guitar (an 18" D'Angelico), also with a single-coil pickup (a DeArmond 1100).

Kenny%20Burrel%202.jpg

Luscious sound.

Beautiful guitars. Wonderful musician.

My favorite Kenny Burrell is "Guiding Spirits" -- a live Quartet date with guitar, vibes, bass and drums.

If you can find it, I'd give it a big :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Who's on it (besides Kenny)?

Jay Hoggard (vib), Marcus McLaurine (b), Yoron Israel (d). Recorded live in 1989.

Just my opinion, but this is one of my least favorite Burrell recordings of all time. I just find it kind of blah, even though I'm normally pretty easy to please when it comes to these types of recordings. His other Contemporary CD, "Sunup To Sundown" (with Cedar Walton, Rufus Reid, Lewis Nash and Ray Mantilla) is better, but still not among his best, imo.