Kenny Burrell

montg

I recently picked up one of the Prestige jam sessions ('Funky' by Gene Ammons) and I've really been enjoying Burrell on it. Other than his date with Coltrane, I don't have any CDs where Burrell is a leader...so I'm pretty wide open for any and all recommendations.

There's a Louis Smith BN with Cannonball that's worthwhile, and he's recorded quite a bit for Steeplechase. He's a solid, if not particularly original trumpeter. Donald Byrd might be a good comparison: usually nice playing, not necessarily the very best though, y'know?

There's a Louis Smith BN with Cannonball that's worthwhile, and he's recorded quite a bit for Steeplechase.  He's a solid, if not particularly original trumpeter.  Donald Byrd might be a good comparison:  usually nice playing, not necessarily the very best though, y'know?

Plus there are so many other greats on "Blue Lights," and the music and sound are terrific.

(and you get the cool Andy Warhol drawing on the cover :rolleyes: )

Edited by Ron S

I've always loved "A Night at the Village Vanguard" on Argo, later reissued as "Man at Work" on Cadet, and most recently under its original title on a Chess CD. THis has been allowed to go out of print, but I gotta think that the geniuses at Universal will dust this one off again soon. It's a great trio album with Richard Davis & Roy Haynes.

Burrell & Jimmy Smith were always a good fit - I especially like Burrell on "Back at the Chicken Shack". "Blue Bash" and "Organ Grinder Swing" are pretty hot as well.

I'll second the recommendation for 12-15-78 Live At VV. It's a very fine album. I probably listen to this album more than any other Burrell title at this point. Not a bad recommendation in the entire bunch IMO. I would add Laid Back to the list though.

P.S. Everyone realizes by the time this thread runs it's course, pretty much every KB title will be listed right? B-)

I've always loved "A Night at the Village Vanguard" on Argo, later reissued as "Man at Work" on Cadet, and most recently under its original title on a Chess CD. THis has been allowed to go out of print, but I gotta think that the geniuses at Universal will dust this one off again soon. It's a great trio album with Richard Davis & Roy Haynes.

Yeah. I would definitely have recommended that as well, if it was in print. As a sidenote, there were two other CD releases of material from that performance, each of which contained two (different) previously unissued tracks. Of course, when Verve reissues it, they'll include everything. :rolleyes:

Burrell & Jimmy Smith were always a good fit - I especially like Burrell on "Back at the Chicken Shack". "Blue Bash" and "Organ Grinder Swing" are pretty hot as well.

:tup O.G.S. is one of my favorites of his collaberations with Jimmy. Also "Softly As A Summer Breeze" and "Six Views Of The Blues".... OH, and "Jimmy Smith At The Organ"!! (BN 1551/52).

I have almost everything Burrell recorded as a leader, but I've never been too fond of "Guitar Forms" (KB has used the flattop guitar on different albums, but I always miss his amplified archtop sound when listening to those pieces).

This may be my top favourite Burrell album of all time. Great how they cooperate in that spare setting. *****

I'd also recommend the two 1980's Blue Note CDs with the Guitar band - the camaraderie between Burrell, Rodney Jones and Bobby Broom is so nice to hear.

Edited by mikeweil