Classic Records Money Jungle Reissue

paul secor

Has anyone heard the Classic Records reissue of Money Jungle? I have a Japanese King reissue which is rather dull sounding. I had the first US CD reissue which had extra material and a crisper sound, but it was too bright for my ears.

I'm looking for a better sounding issue. I wonder if the original tapes make this a futile search.

The latest 2002 Blue Note reissue CD may have the best sound possible - the original three-track tapes were newly remixed. If this sounds to bright for you, use the treble controls. In addition you get 8 great bonus tracks.

If they used the United Artists master tape it may sound like the old LP, but that wasn't too good ... I had a French Lp reissue and gladly dispensed of it when the first Blue Note CD came out, and upgraded immediately after listening to the new remix.

Wolff is right. I have the Classic's reissue, I wasn't impressed by the sound at the first listening, but it was the first time I listening to the record, so I was followin the music more than sound quality. At the moment I am listening to records with a crappy and old system borrowed by a friend, because my system is at assistance, so I wouldn't be able to made a review, but as soon I will get my system repaired I will do an analytical listening.

• 5 months later...

Paul, did you pick this one up?

I got it the other day, but I have no other issue to compare it to. Nothing dull or bright about the Classic LP. The Classic is in stereo and it is very left, right and center. The drums and bass are pretty much stuck in the speaker. The piano distorts once in a while. I doubt if this was a great recording to begin with.

Fremer had this to say: "This reissue is a huge step upward from the UA “Douglas Collection” '70's vinyl reissue I have, but nothing can be done about the distortion built into the tape. Don't let that stop you, if you're an Ellington fan. Sound snobs should stay away. " He gave it a 6/10 for sound and another reviewer gave it 2.5/5.

I've heard many poorer sounding LP's, and feel Classic did a real good job with what they had to work with.

I'm kinda missing the added material. This is one short LP, at under 30 minutes.

Too bad the vinyl reissues don't include another LP of unissued tracks like many CD's do.

Quite often, the vinyl issue of new music I buy will have a song or two not included on the CD. Go figure....