Happy Birthday Miles!

Free For All

I've seen both May 25th and May 26th listed as Miles' birthday. Not sure which is correct, but we're close, anyway. If I'm doing my math correctly (b. 1926) he would be 79.

Here's a salute to one of the greatest of all time. So many great bands and recordings.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to hear him live a couple times (in the 80s). Wish I could have heard the 60s quintet and/or the sextet w/Cannonball and Trane.

His recordings take up the most room in my collection, and that doesn't even count the box sets!

Thanks Miles! :cool:

(and FWIW, Gil Evans' birthday was on Friday the 13th of this month!)

• 1 year later...

Miles' DOB: May 26th, 1926

My dad's DOB: May 27th, 1927

More weirdness...

Miles' father, and my father's father -- were both dentists by profession, who both worked in East St. Louis, IL.

(OK, I guess not all that weird.)

Happy Birthday Miles!! :party: Happy birthday Dad!! :party:

"If somebody told me I had only one hour to live, I'd spend it choking a white man. I'd do it nice and slow."

that's getting pretty close to what Elvin's wife said at the end of Elvin's final performance.

strange for two reasons.

one, Elvin was glowing with love for everyone in the room (and I believe all of humanity) - even though he could barely stand or even tom the drums.

two, the audience was white by a large majority and mainly was old school , the true faithful from the 60s.

guess there are two kinds of white folk. hope we can tell each other apart.

Lots of good stuff is being broadcast by the BBC Radio 3 this wekend in honour of the great man's 80th.

Last night there was a broadcast of the 'Lost Quintet' Rotterdam performance in 1969 plus interviews with Dave Holland and Chick Corea.

Ian Carr's 6-episode Miles radio documentary is also being re-broadcast.

Other tributes today on 'Jazz Line Up' and 'Jazz Record Requests'.

Nice to see that the 69-75 material is getting increased exposure and the recognition it deserves these days !