Grill Gear

It doesn't have to be beer, either. I used a can of Coke when I did it and it came out just fine. You could use plain water if you wanted to.

:blink::o

Don't ever say that again or I'll slap you silly. :g

Coke!?

That just doesn't seem right.

Besides, I always have the beer on hand, the Coke though, I would have to go and buy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have any beer in cans on hand at the time, only bottles. Since my choices at the local convenience store were:

1) buy one can of piss - er, Bud Light - at a ridiculously inflated price;

2) buy a whole six-pack of Bud Light that I would never drink; or,

3) coke,

I went with option 3. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference what liquid you use because only the water comes out anyway to keep the chicken moist. AFAIK most of the other substances in beer (except maybe the alcohol) have much higher boiling points. And since you're gonna be drinking half that can before you jam the chicken on it, might as well not make it something that you wouldn't drink otherwise.

And since you're gonna be drinking half that can before you jam the chicken on it, might as well not make it something that you wouldn't drink otherwise.

Not necessarily. You're using the remaining half to soak the wood chips in before adding them (in a nice little foil packet) to the grill half-way through. Down here, if you soak wood chips in coke, there's a penalty to be paid! hanged.gif^_^

Broil King Regal IIRegal20Big.jpg

This is an updated version of what I have. Now going on its 11th summer, direct gas hookup. I bbq year round, just have to clear the snow off the lid. So the paint is peeling, and I have some clogs due to spiders. I just love the grill. :D

I have not yet tried the beer can chicken though I have seen it done. I'd use a crappy beer for sure. The real question is how many beers do you consume while grilling? My rate: 1 per 10/15 minute stretch. So some parties I am cooked when grilling.

Regarding wood chips: I've thrown them right on the coals. I bought a smoker box but then I found the heat distribution gets disturbed where the box is sitting. Can this be avoided?

Anyone used cedar planks for fish? I do that with salmon a lot.

Lots of Vidalia onions lately - I usually dry marinade them with a mix of pepper, dried garlic and basil then drench in olive oil when they get going on the grill.

Also - my dad bought me a bbq apron one summer. It's a little corny but the material is thick. It's not those stupid ones where you'd keep all the utensils in. You don't realize how handy it is until you'vre ruined a few good white shirts due to un-detected grease pops and flying charcoal flakes. Plus it gives you a large area to wipe your dirty hands.

I do like the dual purpose of these spatulas :P

pG01-1097775reg.jpg

Chuck - that's hard to see. Is it a Brinkmann? We don't get them up here. Nice price if it is.

My next choice may be Vermont Castings. Not cheap but I use mine like some people do their ovens, and they ain't cheap nowadays either.

Moose - no "Kiss the Cook". After 3-4 beers my wife won't touch my lips, even if I grill something sweet.

I inherited my folks old gas rig about 8 years ago. I have to admit, it's nice to turn a dial and be on your way. One thing gas doesn't do is prevent me from drinking too much and burning the shit out of everything. Whenever I'm visiting the mother-in-law and volunteer to do the grilling, she and my wife quickly answer in unison, "Oh, that's okay. You just watch the game and have another beer." Honey.

quote=Son-of-a-Weizen,May 28 2005, 07:24 PM]

. One thing gas doesn't do is prevent me from drinking too much and burning the shit out of everything.

Where I'm from, guys who can't drain significant quantities of brewage & properly grill food at the same time are called lightweights! :P:g

atlas01.jpg

Oh yeah?! Says who? :cool:

Weber Genesis Silver B

Gas, somewhat similar to the one Chuck posted. After years and years of charcoal, I took the easier route.

With three kids of my own and neighbor kids streaming in and out of the house, gas is the way to go :tup

Edited by Eric