question about Coleman Hawkins on Classics

Pete B

Not sure if it´s as performed in the film "The Crimson Canary" (and I don´t have access to my Lord CD-Rom here), but "Hollywood Stampede" is included in the following three CDs, probably the same version (according to track timings):

-Classics 926: Chronogical CH 1945

-Ocium OCM 008: Hollywood Sessions: The entire story of a group

-Capitol 92596: Hollywood Stampede

Not sure if it´s as performed in the film "The Crimson Canary" (and I don´t have access to my Lord CD-Rom here), but "Hollywood Stampede" is included in the following three CDs, probably the same version (according to track timings):

I don't think it's the same. I have a very poor transfer of the film on dvd-r and the tune times out less than 2 minutes. It appears to be performed live on the film (a night-club scene). Being able to watch OP play is very cool, (likewise with Hawk but he's not so rare on film) but the sound on my transfer is lousy.

I don't think it's the same. I have a very poor transfer of the film on dvd-r and the tune times out less than 2 minutes. It appears to be performed live on the film (a night-club scene). Being able to watch OP play is very cool, (likewise with Hawk but he's not so rare on film) but the sound on my transfer is lousy.

Sorry if my post misled you: I was meaning that probably the three tracks I mentioned contained the same version. If your version times out less than 2 minutes, we´re talking about a different one.

OP is Oscar Pettiford?

The 'Hollywood Stampede' that is on the Classics series is the side recorded for Capitol.

The 'Hollywood Stampede' from 'The Silent Canary' was included in the 21-LP 'Bean' box of Coleman Hawkins rare and unissued sides that was published in Italy by the people who also produced the Queen label vinyls.

Never saw that Bean box. I have a flier somewhere announcing the release of it! Quite a number of rare items - which have yet to be issued elsewhere - were included in it. It was a limited edition box. Like the Charlie Parker, Lester Young and Billie Holiday boxes that were issued in Italy at around the same time. Those boxes were limited to 300 copies!

It was a limited edition box. Like the Charlie Parker, Lester Young and Billie Holiday boxes that were issued in Italy at around the same time. Those boxes were limited to 300 copies!

The Parker, Young and Holiday boxes, in any case, have been reissued on Cd. Not the Hawkins one.

Luca

It was a limited edition box. Like the Charlie Parker, Lester Young and Billie Holiday boxes that were issued in Italy at around the same time. Those boxes were limited to 300 copies!

The Parker, Young and Holiday boxes, in any case, have been reissued on Cd. Not the Hawkins one.

Luca

Luca, can you please post a link for these boxes or give a label? I have the Parker on LP, but would like to get the Pres box too.

There was a Japanese 16 cd Lester Young edition of the lp set (I believe it's the same).

Very limited number made and very expensive to find these days! I've only ever seen it on ebay for prices I could not imagine paying. . . .

According to Bruyninckx (& Lord), the film version also appears under the title "Sweet Georgia Brown" on Extreme Rarities 1008 (hoping that it's not as much of an extreme rarity as the Bean box).

Mike

The Extreme raities is one of a series entitled "Rare Jazz on Film" released by film collector Ken Crawford.

Luca

Is this the CD reissue of the Charlie Parker box?

Charlie Parker Live and Private Recordings in Chronological Order (New Sound Planet JUTB 3001/18)

The New Sound reissue of the Bird box is a series of six 3CD sets. The content matches what was included in the original vinyl box.

A CD box replica of the Italian job came out on the Japanese label Sound Hills.

Sound Hills also released replica CD boxes of the Prez and Lady Day vinyl boxes.