doubletime question

That's funny, I don't recall seeing either of the Lighthouse records as 2fers.

Other doubletimes I do remember include Blakey at the Jazz Corner of the World (NOT Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World), and KB's Blue Lights.

Did the KD Bohemia records originally come out as a Doubletime?

Orgy in Rhythm was a Connoisseur, and both LPs fit on one CD. I've never spotted copies of the Elvin Lighthouse dates, but it looks like this is also true of the Grant Green sessions.

Edit: I think the Green/Sonny Clark sessions were released as doubletimes, though possibly in a different batch from those mentioned.

Edited by Big Wheel

Looks like this thread is getting off track. The original question referred to BN Doubletime CDs. A specific series. Morganized posted an image of the real thing on his post #7.

Others that have been mentioned are plain double (or triple) BN CDs. Not Doubletime ones!

The Elvin 'Lighthouse' CDs were definitely issued as 2 separate CDs by BN around 1989 (ish). I have Vol 1 of this (now superseded by the Mosaic).

Other 'Doubletimes' include, I think, the Stan Kenton 'Innovations' set ( :tup ). As mentioned previously the McIntyre was also a 2CD Doubletime, probably my favourite of these.

Just recently picked up the Grolnick ( :tup ). Hiding in the shelves in a London store until I spotted it. Two great sessions on that one.

HMV have also been selling some of the 2CD sets at £4.99, including the Dorham, the Burrell and the Green/Clark. Bargain of the century !

Edited by sidewinder

Looks like this thread is getting off track. The original question referred to BN Doubletime CDs. A specific series. Morganized posted an image of the real thing on his post #7.

Others that have been mentioned are plain double (or triple) BN CDs. Not Doubletime ones!

Does this mean I should delete my posts? :rolleyes:

This one may have been forgotten so far since everybody replaced it with the RVG (that had the other colour scheme used as front cover):

B000005H9R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(Btw: am I the only one with non-functioning buttons??? No links, images, bold type etc. works, can only do it by entering the codes by hand!)

Does this mean I should delete my posts? :rolleyes:

Ron, it's all jazz to me :P

Besides if we have to delete posts each time a thread goes offtrack, there would not be much left on a lot of threads...

That depends--if the only ones that can be called "Doubletime" had that awful stripe in the corner like this:

c47022038ua.jpg

Then indeed, it is a short list.

That depends--if the only ones that can be called "Doubletime" had that awful stripe in the corner like this:

c47022038ua.jpg

Then indeed, it is a short list.

The question is--for me, at least--whether "Doubletime" was actually a discrete series of issues for BN (a la RVG or Conn), or was merely the designation they briefly gave to any 2-CD set issued in the mid-90's:

B000005GXA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I had always assumed it was the latter. :huh:

Well, a second "run" of releases had the "Doubletime" thing inside of the traycard - much less ugly... these include the McIntyre, the Byrd/Adams, the Grolnick, the Green/Clark... maybe I forget some.

There were a bunch of non Doubletime 2CD reissues, too, which include:

- KD Bohemia

- Woody Shaw (that 2CD set with Geri Allen)

- Woody Shaw/Fredie Hubbard

- Ben Webster Amsterdam Sessions

- Lester Young Aladdin Recordings

As far as I think, the Innovations Kenton was not a Doubletime release, rather one for this above list.

Again I presumably miss a few that came out in the same timeframe.

The only release with the ugly "Doubletime" in front, in addition to the ones in the previous post, was "State of the Tenor", no?

Edited by king ubu