Blue's Clues and Thelonious Monk

Hardbopjazz

Children's Book author/illustrator Chris Raschka has created an entire book around Monk's "Mysterioso," called Mysterious Thelonious. It's literally a visual interpretation of "Mysterioso," with a colored grid on the pages standing in for the notes, and the words jumping up and down from tier to tier in emulation of the tune. Should have come with a record, but anyone who buys it for their kid most likely already has the record. Take a look at it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

It's funny, to me at least, because from the very first time I heard it, "Mysterioso" sounded to me like an ultra-hip children's TV show theme, with its odd yoking of the innocent and the sophisticated.

Raschka also has a kid's book based on Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and another called Charlie Parker Played Be Bop.

Only semi-related, but this thread reminded me of it.

It does bear a passing resemblance doesn't it :)

Do you Stateside guys get 'Little Bill' which is based on some books by Bill Cosby? The tunes that accompany the cartoon are all played by Mike Brecker, John Faddis (I think) and some other stars, can't remember who now.

We get a cartoon called 'Kipper' which has some pretty nice 5 piece band playing to the show. My little lad has been a big fan of all these shows luckily....before the Power Rangers bug bit hard.

Blues Clues is a Dye household favorite. I've been diggin the Monk bits for a while.

Have any of you see The Backyardigans? Evan Lurie does the music and it's GREAT. One episode was coppin Ella's A Tisket A Tasket and some others have some CRAZY horn arrangements.

THREE PRESENTS FOR THE SPHINX

I love the introduction to this tune!

Edited by Jim Dye

I noticed that back when my daughter was watching "Blue's Clues." I thought it was pretty cool.

LOVE the music on "Little Bill." Wish she'd watched that more. Now she's into "Teen Titans" and such, which just has frenetic action music (although the theme song is by the great Japanese pop duo Puffy..."When there's trouble you know who to call...TEEN TITANS!").

Now she's into "Teen Titans" and such, which just has frenetic action music (although the theme song is by the great Japanese pop duo Puffy..."When there's trouble you know who to call...TEEN TITANS!").

My girls love that, too ... have you seen the actual Puffy show (Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi)? Very ... interesting.

Don Brown Posted Today, 06:05 AM

Mary Lou first played the Rhythm-a-Ning variant of I Got Rhythm in her solo on Walkin' and Swingin' recorded with Andy Kirk and His Clouds of Joy on March 2, 1936. She also wrote the arrangement.

I remembered being startled by that when I first heard it. But it also sounds like it might have been one of those riffs that had been floating around for a long time before that recording, something that had emerged from the mists of jam-sessions past. And Monk adds his own very Monkian tag to it in his version.

That Andy Kirk stuff is great, in addition to Mary Lou they had the undersung big-toned tenor player Dick Wilson. The Clouds of Joy were supposedly named for marijuana smoke.

Now she's into "Teen Titans" and such, which just has frenetic action music (although the theme song is by the great Japanese pop duo Puffy..."When there's trouble you know who to call...TEEN TITANS!").

My girls love that, too ... have you seen the actual Puffy show (Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi)? Very ... interesting.

Uh huh... Pink Lady for a new generation. Where's Jeff? :crazy: