Matthew Shipp - Equilibrium

Ed S

I just picked this up a couple of days ago. Wow! I am really digging this record. The transition from the opening track - Equilibrium, a very moody, ambient sort of piece - to Vamp to Vibe is stunning. They could play that song for an hour and I'd have been happy with the disc. It's that good. A dark, brooding, intense groove set by the piano with those striking chords and vibes with great drum work. A very effective piece indeed.

The rest of the disc maintains the high standard and takes you through a variety of moods, grooves, textures and soundscapes. There's a haunting, ambient sort of feel to some of the tracks which I dig. I like the bass player using the bow as well to add to that feel. I'm grooving to The Key as I write and am digging the bass and vibes work - a nice walking base line with an angular sort of melody by the vibes. Great stuff.

I know this is probably old hat to those of you who have been digging these guys for some time, but to me it is ear-opening. That's one of the nice things about jazz, isn't it? New spins and directions mixing with old stuff still to discover.

At any rate - recommendations on where to go in this realm appreciated.

I think I am in the minority on this point, but when I first heard this disc earlier in the year the use of electronics/dj did not work for me. This disc without Flam would have been great because Shipp, Jamal, et al play great. The electronics/dj were just a distraction for me and added nothing to the wonderful music they sometimes overshadowed. The musicians involved have made much better music IMO.

That's interesting because I barely notice the electronics. At any rate your opinion that they've made better music means that:

1. Perhaps I am easily impressed and entertained

2. I've got a lot of great listening ahead of me

Guest Chaney

That's interesting because I barely notice the electronics.  At any rate your opinion that they've made better music means that:

1.  Perhaps I am easily impressed and entertained

2.  I've got a lot of great listening ahead of me

Number 2 Ed. Number 2.

VERY highly recommended:

mschipp_strata.jpg

HatOLOGY 522

Shipp with Roy Campbell (trumpet & pocket trumpet); Daniel Carter (saxes, flute & trumpet); and William Parker (doublebass).

If you like electronics (as I do), you should hear the talents of Craig Taborn on Mat Maneri's Sustain (Thirsty Ear Recordings - The Blue Series - THI 57122.2 (CD) 2002). WONDERFUL stuff!

Edited by Chaney

A product of Progressive Rock and having come in to the world of jazz through fusion groups like Weather Report and Return to Forever, I have a fondness for electronics as well.

Thanks for the recs. I'll be bagging them shortly.

I really like Sustain as well. This must be some of Taborn's best.

eQUILIBRIUM definitely has its moments! I look at Shipp's releases in the Blue Series as one ongoing project. Each one seems to advance, however slightly, in increments. Whereas many critics expect musicians of this caliber to break the mould with each release, as they may have done in the past, I have come to expect a certain focus from Shipp's Blue Series project.

I have heard complaints from various sources that these musicians are much better in a free jazz setting. For instance, "All William Parker plays anymore are quarter-notes." To me this is but a small facet of their music.

If you enjoy eQUILIBRIUM, you would do well to check out the rest of the Blue Series under Matthew Shipp's name.

Ed - Check out Matthew Shipp's album "Pastoral Composure", also in the Blue Series. If you dig that, for something a little heavier, try David S. Ware's "Parallels & Corridors". Its got Matthew Shipp playing a synth, along with the same bass player (William Parker) and Guillermo E. Brown on drums.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm REALLY looking forward to checking some of this stuff out. I've been playing Equilibrium in the heavy rotation the last few days and have been bitten by the bug, if you know what I mean.

I'm headed up to Montreal for the week and they always have some great sales at the local stores in conjunction with the festival. Hopefully, I can grab a few titles up there.

Ed,

I've been playing the heck out of this disc as well and was completely blown away by it during the first listen.

You should next check the "Nu Bop" disc. It's definitely the predecessor and lies somewhere in the middle of the 'progressive pack', as impossible makes note, that began with sal's rec on "C&P". Flam is certainly more of an out and out player here.

The newest one with the AntiPop Consortium is one for the SACD techno if for only being able to de-kareoke-ize the rapping(?) from some stunning playing. Do look into DJ Spooky's "Optometry"-if only for 'Reactive Switching Strategies' and 'Ibid, Désmarches, Ibid'.

My only downside opinion regarding the more acoustic BS releases, and especially "Pastoral Composure", is that after time it sounds like some very smart Windham Hill (not really a bad thing but it hasn't endured on my ears). Although the choicest 'Visions' is truly a capital K killer romp.

All tasty stuff for some summer heat and you can turn it up real loud when passing by the tweenies at the skate-park. :tup

Sounds like maybe I should give this one another spin. I also have some of the other Blue Series releases by Shipp and completely concur that each succeeding disc buildings upon the discs before. In fact, when Equilibrium was released I think I read and interview somewhere in which Shipp essentially said it was a culmination of the three or four Blue Series recordings before it.

Matthew Shipp vs. Anti-pop Consortium has some of the best playing on it, though if you aren't into Anti-pop's vocals or synth playing, you may have to do some serious programming to skip the majority of the tracks. There is a very cool homage to Miles Davis hidden deep in this disc, complete with heavy backbeat and sublime Matthew Shipp improvising.

Much of what he has been doing on these releases is a comping style, using a set of chords that you will continue to hear from disc to disc. It is great to hear him get away from this, if even for a few minutes! I am hoping the next release will focus more on blending his melodic playing with the new sound they are exploring.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, thanks all for the recommendations. My trip to Montreal put some of my buying on hold as I picked up a bunch of Jazz in Paris titles there. But I've finally gotten around to putting in an order for some of this stuff:

Matthew Shipp - Nu Bop and Pastoral Composure

David S Ware - Parallels and Corridors

Mat Maneri - Sustain

Tony - if you see this - do you know a good source for the Shipp HatOLOGY disc you mentioned?

Oh and by the way, is it a good sign when your wife is digs Equilibrium almost as much as you? I've been playing it like a maniac the past few weeks when she finally breaks down and asks me about it since she really digs it as well.

Guest Chaney

Tony - if you see this - do you know a good source for the Shipp HatOLOGY disc you mentioned?

The best source with the best price on hatOLOGY titles that I've found is THE MUSIC RESOURCE.

Matthew Shipp: Strata

WARNING: You will happily empty your wallet at this place.

Oh and by the way, is it a good sign when your wife is digs Equilibrium almost as much as you? I've been playing it like a maniac the past few weeks when she finally breaks down and asks me about it since she really digs it as well.

Don't even try to figure this out Ed. Just BUILD upon your success.

I envision your wife with her CD shelf containing the entire Thirsty Ear catalogue - starting with the Blue Series.

Ed, glad the recommendations helped! Let us know how you like them. I'm particularly interested in how you like "Sustain", as I have seen that in the store and considered buying it, along with "Blue Decco", Maneri's other Blue Series title. Has any one else heard these? My interest in modern violin "avant-garde" jazz has surged lately with my purchase of "Scrapbook", a great new album with William Parker, Hamid Drake and Billy Bang.

Guest Chaney

Another recommendation Ed:

e64741wo5ff.jpg

Tim Berne: "The Shell Game" (Thirsty Ear Blue Series THI 57099.2)

with Tom Rainey on drums and... CRAIG TABORN on electronics and keyboards. You really MUST hear Taborn on this one. I don't know what your wife will think though as this one gets pretty rough.

Here's the AMG review:

Alto saxophonist/composer Tim Berne ventures into the world of EFX thanks to keyboardist Craig Taborn's synth-based textures, ethereal soundscapes, and altogether curiously interesting interplay with the leader and his longtime musical affiliate, drummer Tom Rainey. Consisting of four lengthy pieces, Berne once again demonstrates his laudable chops and easily identifiable musical persona on this rather eclectic yet thoroughly spirited set. And while Berne's cutting-edge "Paraphrase" and "Bloodcount" bands do not utilize digital or analog electronic treatments, they seldom lack impact, resourcefulness, or high-octane-type methodologies. Here, Berne and Rainey go for the proverbial jugular amid Taborn's sound sculpting and contrasting mosaics of layered effects and subtle dynamics. Through it all, the band excels at constructing climactic themes via Berne's brazen attack and Rainey's multifunctional rhythmic developments while Taborn serves as the colorist. Basically, The Shell Game shines forth as a charismatic effort from a preeminent stylist who is willing to take risks. — Glenn Astarita

Anyone heard this yet?!

From AAJ: "Good and Evil Sessions" -The Blue Series Continuum

Upon first listen, this disc might seem a bit lackluster and a step back from the forefront of cutting- edge jazz that Thirsty Ear has recently delved into with great success... then further investigation reveals its emotional depth and simon-pure nature.

The Good and Evil Sessions represents a collaboration between the production team of Good and Evil (Danny Blume and Chris Kelly) and the crew of usual TE suspects in Matthew Shipp, Roy Campell, and William Parker, plus trombonists Alex Lodico and Josh Roseman. Blume and Kelly, who found each other and began making music a few years ago, quickly signed to a label and have done production services on a number of projects since that time, including credits ranging from the B-52s, Roni Size, and Tommy Sunshine to rappers Northern State and Felix Da House Cat. They've also worked in conjunction with many musicians on New York's "Downtown" scene. These guys have big ears and they're not afraid to use them.

William Parker and Matthew Shipp have been on quite a roll in the last few years, and as a result, they have become well known throughout the rich tapestry of modern jazzers on the out music scene. They won their jazz credentials in the time-honored way of taking it to the clubs, laying it down on their own terms, and walking away with the lessons they've learned. They also have big ears and are constantly using them to revitalize the current state of modern jazz.

Groove is a significant element in this music's equation, but certainly not the whole picture--what happens between those grooves contributes another huge part of the vibrancy of this music. Parker's bass playing has never sounded better, and his sense of touch on the instrument grows deeper with the passing of time. The two trombonists are used to great effect to color and add texture, bringing some much-needed elasticity to the groove. Ditto in regards to the general role of the trumpets. Some of these ideas have been explored in the past by Jon Hassell on his '94 record Dressing For Pleasure. The Good and Evil Sessions is an update of that sensibility which works on many musical levels.

Shipp plays the Korg synthesizer with his usual aplomb, and he continues to boil over with new ideas. His return from "retirement" from a few years ago was one of the best things to happen in modern keyboard history! The man is on fire!

Then, after all, there are the aforementioned grooves. Blume and Kelly bring a lot to the table on this project. Check out the stratospheric guitar tucked away in the mix of most cuts and notice the feelings those subtle touches bring out in the music. "Sweetbitter," the last track on the album, is a real standout--the last section will simply floor you.

~ Farrell Lowe AAJ

• 3 weeks later...

Vint,

I saw this on jazzmatazz the other night. I started a wishlist on cduniverse. I hadn't checked jazzmatazz in a LONG time. Now I remember why... I WANT EVERYTHING!

This sounds cool. I am looking forward to hearing it.

Others I saw that I really want to buy (someday) >>

the live Dave Holland Quintet 2CD

the Wadada/Braxton duet (also live)

the Jason Moran trio (also live)

the Marc Ribot film score compilation (Dimly Lit, I believe it is called)

the AEC discs (one on ECM, one on Pi)

the Eddie Gale reissues!

pretty much all of the next batch of RVGs and Conns

I'm really looking forward to hearing Adam's Apple again!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 18 years later...

I have just found this old thread and am filled with nostalgia. Equilibrium and The Sublime And... were probably the two first modern jazz records I bought. I spun them so hard that I can still remember every note. It was a bad era for music in general but a strong era for forward thinking modern jazz.