ECM to begin reissues

Aggie87

Any way to contact ECM directly to suggest titles?  I'm still waiting for Dewey Redman's The Struggle Continues...

Bertrand.

This title looks very interesting, "who on it?" I've enjoyed Dewey's playing

with both Ornette Coleman and Keith Jarrett also his other solo recordings.

Any way to contact ECM directly to suggest titles?  I'm still waiting for Dewey Redman's The Struggle Continues...

Bertrand.

This title looks very interesting, "who on it?" I've enjoyed Dewey's playing

with both Ornette Coleman and Keith Jarrett also his other solo recordings.

This Ed Blackwell discography says:

Dewey Redman Quartet-The Struggle Continues

ECM 1225 USA rec NYC, Columbia Recording Studios 1/15/82

Dewey Redman-ts Charles Eubanks-p Mark Helias-b Ed Blackwell-d

Haven't heard it, but the combination of Red & Black is usually a good sign.

Guy

• 2 months later...

Yes, it looks postponed (or worse). CD Universe still lists it with a release date of September 13, but backordered:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6936496

Edit: On Jazzmatazz, it has been moved to "2006 and beyond":

http://jazzmatazz.home.att.net/upcomingcds.html

Edited by Claude

how about "music from the knee plays" by david byrne.

it's never been on cd, and i would have to think that it would sell enough to make money.

How did this ever end up on ECM anyway? David Byrne on ECM is an interesting thought, but "fits" as well as...say....Norah Jones on Blue Note. :P

Is it an instrumental release, or does he sing?

The album was released as an LP and cassette, on ECM in America and EMI Zonophone elsewhere

http://www.talking-heads.net/kneeplays.html

ECM 1-25022 David Byrne - Music for the Knee Plays (1985)

David Byrne (voice); Chuck Findley, Nolan Smith, Ray Brown, Rich Cooper, Harry Kim (tp); Pete Christlieb, Ernie Watts, Don Myric, Jackie Kelso (sax); Ernie Fields, Bill Green (bartitones); Phil Teil, David Stout, Fred Wesley, Garnett Brown, Dana Huges (tb); Paul Humphrey (dr); Bobbye Hall (perc). Produced by David Byrne. Cover art by Robert Wilson. Recorded in One On One Studios, North Hollywood (engineer: Joel Moss), Studio Sound Recorders, North Hollywood (engineer: Mark Wolfson).

Note: This was produced when ECM was distributed in the USA by Warner Bros. The copyright is held by Sire Records. The tunes are incidental music to Robert Wilson's performance piece "The Civil Wars". According to the notes: "Inspired by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band of New Orleans". (Source: John Barr)

http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~schneide/dis...ecmspecial.html

That makes a CD reissue on ECM rather unlikely.

Edited by Claude

Yes, it looks postponed (or worse). CD Universe still lists it with a release date of September 13, but backordered:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6936496

Edit: On Jazzmatazz, it has been moved to "2006 and beyond":

http://jazzmatazz.home.att.net/upcomingcds.html

Oh bummer! Well...I just have to wait until it's released.

Also overdue is Bennie Maupin's "The Jewel in the Lotus".

I'm curious how the Priester CD will sound - why don't they issue hybrid SACDs?

It sounds excellent, no hint of tape hiss, almost too clean.

Now how about Priester's other ECM LP?

It's a beauty. 'Polarization' is a quintet session of San-Fran based musicians with Priester's trombone much more to the fore - a more introspective session than 'Love, Love'. A couple of the tracks also have a very nice 'fusion' feel - in the best sense.

I have both of the Priesters on the vinyl and the sound is A1.

Edited by sidewinder

But I generally prefer those 70's ECM albums on vinyl.

Got to agree. I ditched most of mine and don't have many left, but I think LP preserves the grain of the sound far better than CD and this is essential for the ECM sound. That said, I have only heard a few ECM CDs so there may be some great masters out there...

• 1 year later...

how about "music from the knee plays" by david byrne.

it's never been on cd, and i would have to think that it would sell enough to make money.

Bumping this thread up for this particular comment.

Nonesuch is finally issuing "Music from the Knee Plays" on CD

David Byrne Unearths The Knee Plays for CD Release

He may be 55 years old now, but except for the dashing gray of his hair, former Talking Heads principal David Byrne looks eerily like he did when he was in his 20s and 30s, tossing off gems like "Once in a Lifetime" and "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)". Thus, we have come to the conclusion that Byrne has simply transcended time.

For further proof, look no further than the fact that Byrne is, according to Billboard.com, issuing The Knee Plays-- his contributions to the soundtrack of Robert Wilson's the CIVIL warS opera (which also features music by Philip Glass)-- on CD for the first time over 20 years after he originally wrote them.

The Plays were originally intended to serve as musical interludes between parts of the mammoth opera, which was never performed in its entirety because of financial and logistical obstacles. However, Byrne adapted parts of his score with Wilson for use in a different piece that had a limited run in the U.S. and Europe in 1985.

Nonesuch will release The Knee Plays on October 30, supplemented with eight previously unreleased instrumentals. Also included is a DVD of the music set to a slideshow of 400 black and white photographs of the opera's production shot at 30-second intervals by JoAnn Verburg.

Digging into Pitchfork's own recent reporting past, we find that Byrne guested on the recently released Baby Elephant (aka Prince Paul and Bernie Worrell) LP Turn My Teeth Up! and that he will host "How New Yorkers Ride Bikes" at the New Yorker Festival on October 6.

Four days later (October 10, not that it matters if time means nothing to you), Byrne will participate in a conversation with evolutionary psychologist Geoffrey Miller at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston. That talk is called "Connections Between Biology and Culture, Sex and Beauty, Genes and Creativity". Of course it is.

The Knee Plays:

01 Tree (Today Is an Important Occasion)

02 In the Upper Room

03 The Sound of Business

04 Social Studies (The Gift of Sound)

05 Where the Sun Never Goes Down

06 Theadora Is Dozing

07 Admiral Perry

08 I Bid You Goodnight

09 Things To Do (I've Tried)

10 Winter

11 Jungle Book

12 In the Future

13 Tree (Reprise) *