Tom Harrell

GA Russell

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to doubt that rumor. He's got a very busy performance schedule for someone dying from cancer. He's supposed to play Iridium Dec. 5-8 w/ Joe Lovano and Jimmy Cobb and has a lot of dates lined up for 2008. Looks like he played a concert in Italy a few nights ago if the posts on his My Space page are accurate.

http://www.myspace.com/tomharrell

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Tom Harrell will be playing at Iridium next week.

From the New York Times jazz listings yesterday:

SHADES OF JAZZ (Wednesday and Thursday) The tenor saxophonist Joe Lovano and the trumpeter Tom Harrell, a well-seasoned front-line pair, team up with the bassist Cameron Brown and the drummer Cindy Blackman, a rhythm section likely to produce some forward tilt. (Through Dec. 9.) At 8 and 10 p.m., Iridium, 1650 Broadway, at 51st Street, (212) 582-2121, iridiumjazzclub.com; cover, $30, with a $10 minimum. (Chinen)

Then the information should have been left where it was.

Very careless to post some unfounded rumor about the death of anybody.

It took me a couple of minutes of googling to find what all this was about!

I recommend fiber.

And lot's of it. You never make mistakes?

Tom Harrell finally has a new recording out, on High Note, Light On. Recorded December 5 and 7, 2006. With Wayne Escoffrey on tenor, Danny Grissett on piano and Fender Rhodes, Egonna Okegwo on bass, Johnathan Blake on drums. Listening for the first time right now and liking it.

Tom Harrell plays as a sideman on many small group CDs that I like. Here are just some of them.

Rein de Graff Quintet - New York Jazz - Timeless

Bill Mays Quintet - Tha's Delight - Trend

Hod O'Brien Quintet - Opalessence - Criss Cross

Mike LeDonne Quintet - 'Bout Time - Criss Cross

Ted Rosenthal - New Tunes, New Traditions - Ken

Mike LeDonne - The Feeling Of Jazz - Criss Cross

Ralph Lalama Quintet - Feelin' And Dealin' - Criss Cross

John Swana And Friends - Criss Cross

and of course on quite a number of Phil Woods CDs.

• 3 years later...

I have heard stuff by him over the years, but I don't have anything by him and need to know more. I've liked everything I heard.

I heard some big band arrangements he did for (at least) one of his albums that I especially dug. Can tell me which album (or albums) focus on his arranging?

TTK, some years ago I got a promo without the booklet of his album Time's Mirror. Perhaps you are thinking of that one. I enjoy it. I don't know who did the arranging.

I have heard stuff by him over the years, but I don't have anything by him and need to know more. I've liked everything I heard.

I heard some big band arrangements he did for (at least) one of his albums that I especially dug. Can tell me which album (or albums) focus on his arranging?

TTK, some years ago I got a promo without the booklet of his album Time's Mirror. Perhaps you are thinking of that one. I enjoy it. I don't know who did the arranging.

Tom Harrell did all the arrangements on Time's Mirror.

Tom Harrell did all the arrangements on Time's Mirror.

I wish that he'd do a follow-up to Time's Mirror. Given that many of the arrangements were quite old at the time of the recording, I wonder if he has done any recent arrangements for a large ensemble. Incidentally, I recently purchased David Berkman's Handmade, with Harrell, Steve Wilson, Ugonna Okegwo and Brian Blade.

Harrell's 2010 album "Roman Nights" is tremendous. His chops aren't as consistent as they once were, but his improvisations are still remarkably pure and melodic, and the compositions are much the same. Interestingly, most of his recent tunes favor even-8th note rhythms and grooves rather than 4/4 swing. What's most impressive to me, however, is how complete Harrell's sound world is and how his band has become such an expressive extension of his own aesthetic. I think that the guys in his quintet -- Wayne Escoffery, Danny Grissett, Ugonna Okegwo, Johnathan Blake -- never sound better than when they're working with Harrell. I'd encourage anyone who has the chance to see this group in person to do so, especially if you're someone who has given up on mainstream post-bop and its offshoots.

On a more personal note, the title track of "Roman Nights" practically brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. It's just a simple ballad played by Harrell and Grissett on piano, but there's an unaffected lyricism that really gets to me. It's the way the melody interlocks with the descending harmonic sequence -- it reminds me of some of Freddie Redd's tunes, which get to me in the same way.

Edited by Mark Stryker