Neighbors who play horrible music too early/late

Catesta....hmmmm, how do I put this politely....my upstairs neighbor is exceptionally "bouyant", if you catch my drift. If that's your thing, she's all yours.

BTW, I had the lyrics to that song wrong. The actual lyrics are "How you gonna act like that, how you gonna act like when I'm making love to you". Definately a lot less strange than what I thought I was hearing this morning. I guess the whole bit about concerning death came from me being really tired and pissed off at 7:30AM.

J Larsen you are probably handling this in the right way.Retaliation while understandable can bring about repercussions.It's been my experience that you generally don't have to deal with this kind of person for too long,usually this kind of situation takes care of itself.However if you think or know this is a long term situation(god forbid)then you might want to brush up on your diplomacy skills.

I used to live in an apartment in Ann Arbor and my next door neighbors were this really old couple who had their 30-something son living with them. I constantly smelled pot whenever I walked by their door or opened my patio... and I think it was the old people, not the son. Oh and the best part is this son, who was at least 35, had a beautiful, brand new black Monte Carlo all tricked out with booming sound system.

Yeah buddy! Go pick up a hot date and bring her back to your parent's apartment for some good lovin'!!!

Anyway, I had a Hammond organ with a 31H Leslie. This is the model that is about 5 feet tall (much bigger than the ones Jimmy Smith uses on the road, for example) and produces an enormous amount of low end. I had in right against the wall that was their living room wall. I used to practice during the afternoons and the old dude would come over and bitch and me and say he couldn't hear his TV. I told him to fuck off... it was 2 in the afternoon.

I really wanted to get up one Sunday morning at about 7am and take them to church. You know, play some nasty gospel on that organ at top volume. But the apartment flooded and we moved out of there before I had the chance. :(

In one of the Paris apartments where I lived before I settled in my current one, there

were these neighbors. Nice, polite, friendly. About once a week, they had allnight parties.

Music was played at reasonable loud levels. I managed to get some sleep.

But invariably around 4AM, they would play 'Just a Gigolo' by Louis Prima at FULL blast.

And play it to death.

After they did this a couple of times, I knocked on their door to ask them to turn the

sound level down. I was met with smiles, offered a glass of champagne and

asked to join the party. But I just was not in the mood for that since I had to go to

work a couple of hours later.

These parties went on for some time until the girl got pregnant. They put a stop totheir allnight parties.

Can't stand hearing Prima's 'Just a Gigolo' since.

But as I student I lived together with 6 other people in an old house in Brussels. The walls were so thin you could hear every fart (and sometimes smell it).

He he. I remember reading a similar description in Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London".

Must be the Brussels sprouts.:)

Guest Mnytime

Now this might be dangerous to your health but a track I would try is off Aphrodite's Child record 666. The track in question has the Infinity symbol as it's title.

You know the scene in Harry Met Sally where she is faking an orgasim. This tops that by 1000%. The danger part is this might turn on your neighbor and she might never leave you alone. :g

Edited by Mnytime

Don't know the tune Mny is referencing but it brings to mind the Yoko track from John Lennon's final album, the one where she has a three and a half minute orgasm. Brutal.

My wife and I had upstairs neighbors who blasted music about 11 pm on a weeknight, and after we complained to the apartment manager, who told them that the law on such noise was 8 am to 10 pm, well, shockingly, the very next night, promptly at 10 pm, we heard a table saw roar to life as they started cutting wood! We'd hear, over and over again, "REEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR-THUNK" so we called the police and while it took thirty minutes or so, an officer showed up, we told him what had happened, and he assured us he would take care of it and if they don't get the message tonite, if he has to return, someone's going to jail.

Well, he definitely made an impression on that couple, because a week later, a young lady appeared at the door, and she said to me (no introduction, so I have no idea who she is) "Hi, ummm, its my birthday and I'm having a party tonite (I'm thinking, what, are you inviting me?) so, if we make too much noise, please, PLEASE, here's the phone number, just call and let us know and we'll stop." (So now I've figured out who this chick is and I also realized that the cop put the fear of God into her and I knew we would have no further problems with these people :g

Don't know if that will help-I'm not sure if the cops are particularly vigilant about enforcing noise restrictions in seedier parts of town (not that they shouldn't be, its just that they may devote more of their time to more pressing matters).

Wonderful thread! It made my day! Best was the phrase "early rising polka fan". Imagine having to listen to music like that at the crack of dawn. Remember the John Candy polka bit in "Home Alone 1"? ("Polka, polka! No?")

I just posted about borrowing my son's boom box. If you do decide to hit back, ah garontee that that would do the trick, mon ami. For an album, I would use "Free For All", by Art Blakey.

Seriously, I think I have the answer, J. It's already been mentioned, but I'd like to enlarge on it. Wax earplugs are the way to go. I started using these in the 70s, when I lived in an inner city apartment with lots of noise. These really do the job! They are fairly hard when you get them out of the box. You soften them a bit with the fingertips and push them gently into the ears. After they have warmed up, you give them a firm final push, and bye bye noise. They won't help with the neighbor's fart, though. These are mainly made in England, and I have imported many a box. I have not seen them in the U.S. or Canada.