Keith Jarrett on the NewsHour

Michael Fitzgerald

I happened to see a nice spot on Keith Jarrett by complete serendipity - the Jim Lehrer NewsHour on PBS tonight had it. Who knew?! In addition to a very good number of historical clips (from Charles Lloyd, Miles at Isle of Wight, playing Bach, with the trio, solo concert), KJ did a face to face interview, which is pretty rare. It was at his home studio in NJ. I was particularly interested to see him talk about his new record "Radiance" and actually recreate some of it for the interviewer after the fact to make a point about how it was improvised. Apparently the new record is available on DVD, so I may pick up that instead of the CD.

Mike

I happened to see a nice spot on Keith Jarrett by complete serendipity - the Jim Lehrer NewsHour on PBS tonight had it. Who knew?! In addition to a very good number of historical clips (from Charles Lloyd, Miles at Isle of Wight, playing Bach, with the trio, solo concert), KJ did a face to face interview, which is pretty rare. It was at his home studio in NJ. I was particularly interested to see him talk about his new record "Radiance" and actually recreate some of it for the interviewer after the fact to make a point about how it was improvised. Apparently the new record is available on DVD, so I may pick up that instead of the CD.

Mike

Supposedly the DVD includes the entire second concert which is only excerpted on the CD version. I might have to pick this up sometime in the next two decades...

Guy

Guest youmustbe

There are 2 DVD's. coming out. One is an biogaphy of Keith and the second is the Japan concerts, which are rather lame. I love his music, even did a record of his music and will be doing another one in string quartet form, but something happened to him. His solo recitals are like warmed over piss, 3rd rate Prokofiev sonatas with 2nd rate Ives 'Americana'.

He can still kill at Jazz, but Gary is actually deaf, and Jack De hates the gig, only does it for the money.

Sad but true...but hey, I was just looking in the mirror at my body at 60...not a pretty sight!

His solo recitals are like warmed over piss, 3rd rate Prokofiev sonatas with 2nd rate Ives 'Americana'.

He can still kill at Jazz, but Gary is actually deaf, and Jack De hates the gig, only does it for the money.

Wow, tough words my friend... Like do you know Jack personally to be able to say that? And as far as the solo concerts are concerned, I agree there are sometimes some uninspired moments (I don't really care for the the "pop'ish" three chord country stuff or the basic blues stuff he sometimes puts in there), but more often than not, there's some truly exhilarating and exceptional playing going on. But to each his own, I guess. To me, even some of his solo piano intros on the trio albums are pure gold, like My Funny Valentine on "Still Live".

Guest youmustbe

Still Live is great!! Everything from that time is great. I have tape from 86 from Avery Fisher that still thrills me.

But that was 19 years ago. The trio is still terrific, but think of Gary as Percy and Jack as Bags toward the end of MJQ's life. Happens.

As for his solo concerts, I mean listen to La Scala. There is really NO music there. The same with Radiance. It's really high class noodling. There is a lot of Emperor's New Clothes' in Keith now. But, he can still play a ballad like no one today.

Sad but true...but hey, I was just looking in the mirror at my body at 60...not a pretty sight!

I still want to know the source of these statements. When did Jack tell you that? Would Jack do anything for the money? When did Gary become deaf? He still plays remarkably well for someone who can't hear what's being played around him!