Phony eBay emails

Just to make sure everyone's awake when they check their email...

In the last two days I've received two phony emails from eBay designed to get my password and/or credit card info. One alleged that my file was out of date and I needed to "reregister"; the second offered a supposed shot at winning some gas guzzler. Ebay confirmed that both were phony after I forwarded them to their "phony email department" (spoof@ebay.com). Just thought I'd pass the word...

A friend of mine got one a week or two ago that claimed his account was going to be suspended due to illegal activity. He knew something was up since he hasn't used Ebay in months. He clicked on the link the email provided, which looked like a real Ebay link (ie, www.cgi-ebay.blahblahblah) but once there he realized the actual address had nothing to do with ebay in the domain name.

It wanted his name and address, and his account name and password. He's not computer savvy, so he forwarded the email to me and I said "DON'T DO IT!!" I had him forward a copy to Ebay.

A timely warning! As I posted elsewhere, my eBay account was hacked about two months ago, as well as the email address that I used with it. eBay reinstated my account with them, but I lost the email adress - glad that I only used it for eBay.

Use wierd passwords, never use the same one for two different things, and change them regularly.

I have a friend that really, and truly feels that this type of sorriness is worthy of the death penalty.chainsaw.gif

That's only logical, since one can already get a life sentence for spitting on a police agent:

Man gets life in prison for spitting (cnn.com) :o

I was going to say that was waaaaay too harsh, but then saw that one of his past convictions was for wife beating...so he is reaping what he sowed....

Edited by BERIGAN

According to the CNN article, the beating of his wife would have earned him "only" a year in prison and a $3000 fine.

The life sentence is for the assault of the policeman and the spitting, " because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease. " :blink:

This happened to me late last year and I lost my account for more than a month. Ebay realized what was up and froze my account. It was not a fun experience. Fortunately, nothing bad happened but my account was hijacked and that wasn't fun. After I got it back, Ebay warned me that these were phony. They look very real but avoid them at all costs.

At the time it was hijacked, I emailed the person who did and he actually responded to me with a "F*** you." Very nice. :angry: