RIP Ibrahim Ferrer

trane_fanatic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050807/ap_on_en_mu/obit_ferrer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buena Vista Social Club Singer Ferrer Dies

By ANITA SNOW, Associated Press Writer

HAVANA - Ibrahim Ferrer, a leading voice with the hugely popular Buena Vista Social Club of vintage Cuban performers, died Saturday, his representative in Cuba said. He was 78.

The Montuno production company did not give a cause of death, but Ferrer's colleagues said he suffered from emphysema and was feeling ill earlier in the week.

Known for his trademark cap and graying mustache, Ferrer was a wiry, animated figure who clearly enjoyed performing Cuba's traditional "son" music of the 1940s and 1950s for new generations of fans.

Among a group of older Cuban performers recruited by U.S. musician Ry Cooder, Ferrer performed on the "Buena Vista Social Club album" that won a Grammy in 1999, and was among those appearing in the film of the same name.

"I felt like he was my brother," said fellow Buena Vista performer, the guitarist Manuel Galban. "He was a great musician and a great companion."

Also in 1999, Ferrer was featured in one of a string of albums that followed, "Buena Vista Social Club Presents Ibrahim Ferrer," and won a Latin Grammy for best new artist in 2000.

Two other well-known members of the original Buena Vista group, singer Compay Segundo and pianist Ruben Gonzalez, died in 2003.

Originally from Cuba's eastern city of Santiago, Ferrer was born on Feb. 20, 1927, during a dance at a social club after his mother unexpectedly went into labor.

Ferrer was still a boy when he began singing professional with Santiago groups in 1941. By the late 1950s, he was a well-known singer performing regularly with the late, great bandleader Pacho Alonso.

He also made guest appearances with other legendary names, including Benny More and Orquesta de Chepin.

Alonso's group moved to Havana in 1959, and Ferrer came along, remaining with the group for more than two decades. By the early 1980s, Ferrer had left the musical scene, but came out of retirement to perform with the Buena Vista group.

The AP story (by Anita Snow, a good friend!) does not mention that Ibrahim Ferrer returned this week to Havana after a grueling one-month tour of Europe that ended last Tuesday at the Marciac jazz festival. Heard a live broadcast of his performance there and he sounded very good!

Sad to see these veteran Cuban musicians and singers from the Buena Vista Social Club disappear one after the other!

We did a mini-feature on him this morning, read the Times obit and played five tracks.

He really had a warm, approachable style compared to some of the "classic" Cuban voices (like More or Pio Leyva or Carlos Embale). And he exuded a sort of dignity that always made me for good for him (and me).

I am very happy he got his day in the sun before he left us, though I'm sorry he apparently had to work so hard once he hit the limelight.

--eric

Sad indeed. Saw one of the afro cuban all stars shows a few years back, and no Cooder made it even more impressive. The "circus" popularity of it pushing it over the edge for some musos, but truly an amazing night of music and (observed - not worthy would come to mind) dancing. Those folks were having the best of times and it was a privledge to watch them do so.

Interesting serendipity I read was that he was born in a social club during a dance when mom went into unexpected labor. Gather that music was very powerful seventy eight years ago as well.