September 13th RVGs

mgraham333

• 3 weeks later...

I have all of these already from along time ago in some cases and also with the help of TOCJ releases but still good to see them all coming out again as that Lonnie Smith took me years to get after I traded the lp I had in...I was lucky enough to have two copies of that too!

Could not get enough Lonnie Smith in those days......still can't :cool: although I never really got into Drives in a bid way

Listening to the latest batch. Already had the Mitchell material on the Mosaic and had the Spanish Leo, but the rest of it is new to me.

Sorry, got to say it. Enough with the Jimmy Smith RVGs! Move on to some other equally deserving artists. Maybe it was organ overload, having started with the Lonnie Smith, but I found SOJS to be grating on the nerves. I like most of his other stuff, but I had to hit the SKIP DISC button midway through.

Sorry, got to say it.  Enough with the Jimmy Smith RVGs!  Move on to some other equally deserving artists.  Maybe it was organ overload, having started with the Lonnie Smith, but I found SOJS to be grating on the nerves.  I like most of his other stuff, but I had to hit the SKIP DISC button midway through.

Not Yet!

Man, Blue Note needs to RVG Back At The Chicken Shack and Midnight Special, and do it quick!!!

Look, I dig SOJS... but it ain't no Chicken Shack or Midnight Special! Please, Blue Note, release these as RVGs soon!

Cheers,

Shane

• 3 months later...

I'm listening to Mobley's REACH OUT! this evening. On a first listen I sensed 'Hank Mobley does easy jazz.' No, it's not Mobley's best. However, something about the easy vibe of the set has caught my attention. I've been through the disk three times in one sitting.

Mobley sounds like he's nearly at the end of his Blue Note run (which is true). He also reminds the listener of how great he was and still is.

AMG gives the album two stars. :mellow:

Edited by wesbed

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tellin' ya... this REACH OUT! thing. It's not Hank's best. But it's a damned good set of tunes. I catch myself playing it all the time. :tup

Yeah, I'm a "Reach Out" fan also. As far as playing time for Hank goes, it's in my top 5. I know that sounds ridiculous to most. Certainly many, many, many other Hank albums are "better." That said, the fact is I listen to it more than I do say "No Room For Squares." I guess it's one of my "guilty pleasures."

Really looking forward to "Dippin'" being RVG'd soon. That is my second favorite Hank disc right under "Soul Station."