Age Discrimination: Old Like Me

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and furthermore - this thread was essentially hijacked in post 4, not much later than my post in that other thread - further illustrating my point -

Not really. In post four, which is located here, Weizen recounts that some young dummy thought Pearl Harbor was in 1066 and that she "then said something about having just received a big promotion at her principal place of employment.....some large insurance company." Obviously a joke, but it ties in to what you were saying.

For the record, I don't really care if threads go in different directions that originally intended. I do care when someone posts garbage with the sole intent of trying to derail the thread, which is what you did, even after it became obvious that the original post wasn't spam.

As for being clique-ish, of course this place is clique-ish. Go find a message board that isn't... I bet you can't. Go find a bar that isn't... I bet you can't. Go find any aspect of society that doesn't have its cliques.

I try to treat everyone as fairly as I can, but I can't read every post or reply. I'm sure I've missed some instances where someone has called out a post as being spam.

Jim - we'll have to agree to disagree, but you are completely incorrect that I continued to post garbage after it was clear that it was not spam - as a matter of fact I wrote an email to the creater of the thread apologizing, and than I participated in the discission - the fact that you did not notice this indicates to me that you really did not read the thread close enough -

Jim - we'll have to agree to disagree, but you are completely incorrect that I continued to post garbage after it was clear that it was not spam - as a matter of fact I wrote an email to the creater of the thread apologizing, and than I participated in the discission - the fact that you did not notice this indicates to me that you really did not read the thread close enough -

And you're 47? Am I going to be like this in a year and a half? :rfr

Uh oh...I'm 47 as well. You're doomed! :blink:

Uh oh...I'm 47 as well. You're doomed! :blink:

Damm. :rfr

Allen I apologize for making incorrect assertions, but I still don't see the correlation between this thread and the other.

no, I'm 51 not 47 - and are you going to be what? Articulate and well-reasoned? Able to write and speak a complete sentence? Well, no , it's unlikely if you can't do that now -

you wrote:

I went back into the job market at age 47

Sorry, I thought you were 47. It gives me another 5 1/2 years.

Get a grip Allen.

Jim - not a big problem in the scheme of things, I just get distracted here by some of the random nastiness, and than somewhat bothered if I am singled out for doing something that has been done in other threads and places - and note 7/4's very nasty original comment here, his fear of being like me at age 47 - mild, but a nasty little dig just the same - and he advises ME to get a grip. That's a classic tactic, attack the person, and than accuse them of being crazy when they react defensively - I believe, 7/4, that it's called passive/aggressive -

Jim - not a big problem in the scheme of things, I just get distracted here by some of the random nastiness, and than somewhat bothered if I am singled out for doing something that has been done in other threads and places - and note 7/4's very nasty original comment here, his fear of being like me at age 47 - mild, but a nasty little dig just the same - and he advises ME to get a grip. That's a classic tactic, attack the person, and than accuse them of being crazy when they react defensively - I believe, 7/4, that it's called passive/aggressive -

Oh dry up. At 45 I'm already having problems with customers with naive younger employees who are out to "get" me.

As for nasty comments, I learned a long time ago (12 years on the net) that criticizing another posters grammar or spelling is so uncool.

Chill out. It's Friday, listen to some cool tunes.

Well, ok. I'm 49+, have worked at the same company for over 6 years (only 2.5 full-time, though), and these people are peridocally recruiting me for management positions, even after I've let them know in no uncertain terms that I'm a musician who needs a straight job right now, not a musician lokking for a career change. So I've not personally been a victim of corporate age discrimination.

But I will say this - there's definitely a preference for younger folks when it comes to recruting for management positions. "They" like to get'em young and hungry, when they've not yet had time to find a sense of inner validation. The type they're looking for is the type who haven't yet figured out that they're being pimped big time, that this game is all about bait and switch, that you'll get used (and used well) up to the point where somebody decides that you've gone as far as you're gonna go and that it's time to get some new blood. Somebody higher up decides that they've seen all you got to give,and you go from Favorite Son/Daughter to Yesterday's News, and you become shamelessly expendable, often without warning. I've seen this happen repeatedly over the years, and not just in this company. It's just the way of the Corporate World.

Lives/minds/souls quite often get seriously fucked up by this shit, because you get a young, idealisitic soul without too much sense of inner identity, you treat them like "gold", pump'em full of promises and flattery (AWARDS! BONUSES! TRAVEL! MEETING THE CEO!), deliver on those promises for years, and before too long, these folks begin to believe that they're "special", that "the company" really cares about them, and all that bullshit. It's pimping, pure and simple, because it's all about mindfucking innocents, exploiting their psychological weaknesses (if not realizing that your own intrinsic worth offers you more validation than any "job" could isn't a weakness, then I don't know what is...) to use them up until it's time to throw them away.

A few survive well, but only a few. The rest either go nuts (seen it more than once) or plateau and stick around, becoming Corporate Barflys - dark, bitter souls with grudges against everything and everybody, people who want out but are too empty inside to muster the resources to get out (seen it more than once as well). That's what happens when you sell your soul to the Company Sto' - you become the Company Ho'. And how many ho's end up living happily ever after?

So yeah, they like 'em young. All pimps do. Are you sure you want to get in on this action, Allen?

Edited by JSngry

Trifling stuff. If you want to find real ignorance come to Tokyo. I asked a couple of 2nd year high school students to find The Philippines and Indonesia on a map and they had no idea. They also didn't know that Brazil was in south america, and naturally had never heard of Lenin, Marx, Roosevelt, Mao, Apollo moon landings or Einstein. God only knows what they are taught at ' school'.

I wish I were joking but I'm not. I'm 59.

I'm 58. The lack of historical knowledge is not the exclusive domain of the younger generation - I have seen a lot of contemporaries demostrate abysmal historical knowledge AND display a real lack of basic mathmetical skills. You can extrapolate into other areas of knowledge. I've seen younger people on both sides of the equation. A college degree seems NOT to really be any indication of intelligence or lack thereof.

People that want to be educated educate themselves (and some of the most educated and intelligent people I know may not have atteneded college) ....BUT you need that degree for the decent day gig.

Age discrimation is a reality. It happens all the time. The powers that be want to move an older (better paid) employee out in order to replace him/her with a younger (not as highly paid ) employee. If you are over 40 or 45 and seeking a job you're going to have a tough time. "previous employment?" Don't sya musician. Your cooked if you do.

I entered the public sector when I just couldn't get by any more on musician money. I'm glad I did and it's worked out well. The promotions (to a certain level)are contractual so there's no age discrimination there...but you can only get so far.

After that there are a lot of factors that come into play..and for the most part they are not working in an older worker's favor.

Edited by Harold_Z