Age Discrimination: Old Like Me

If you are over  40 or 45 and seeking a job you're going to have a tough time. "previous employment?" Don't sya musician. Your cooked if you do.

I've got stories to tell about this, good stories, freaking AMAZING stories :g , but not wanting to hijack Allen's thread, I'll save them for another time.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt companies prefer young for that start up the "corporate ladder". In addition to the points Jim brings up, the 'go-getters' that are already there don't want people around that remind them of their parents in any way. Think back to when you were in your early twenties and how annoying those old farts were with their pain-in-the-ass "experience" and all. And how stupid they could make you feel for pulling an understandable mistake like forgetting to order supplies or something...

No doubt companies prefer young for that start up the "corporate ladder".  In addition to the points Jim brings up, the 'go-getters' that are already there don't want people around that remind them of their parents in any way.  Think back to when you were in your early twenties and how annoying those old farts were with their pain-in-the-ass "experience" and all. And how stupid they could make you feel for pulling an understandable mistake like forgetting to order supplies or something...

That's not it Moose. It's really all about a corporate perception that older workers will expect more, not try as hard (won't fall for the coporate con), will take more sick days or may be struck by catastophic illness, thereby being a bad bet when it comes to benefits. It's all about a corporate view of older workers not being a good financial bet.

exactly, and ironically so, as, at least where I work, older workers have less absences and stay longer in their jobs -

Older employees tend to be more dependable and work harder than younger ones.

Companies, however, don't want to pay the higher health-insurance costs for older employees; plus companies usually let go the older emps because the defined benefit pensions pay out more for longer tenured employees.

• 2 years later...

Yeah, the level of ignorance in the general populace is painful. I've asked AP students what event took place in 1066 and they didn't know. I've talked to GRAD STUDENTS who didn't know the significance of 1066! One Brianiac actually said that the Magna Carta was signed in 1066! It's tragic, really...

For Christmas I received the SNL Season 2 DVD set and last night we were watching one of the last episodes with Eric Idle as host. The show-long gag was that they were running a telethon to "Save Great Britain" and had a Queen look-a-like on the stage. The number to call was 555-1066.