Strip club stirs outrage with less-than-subtle

vaginas_r_us.jpg

Strip club stirs outrage with less-than-subtle sign

What's obscene and what isn't? Frankly worded billboard infuriates merchants along Century Boulevard near LAX, but the owner says he's merely promoting his business.

By Andrea Sudano

Daily Breeze

A McDonald's near LAX has a big poster outside showing hamburgers, and a neighboring gas station mini-mart ad displays its snacks and beverages.

And now a nearby strip club and adult shop on Los Angeles' Century Boulevard is advertising exactly what it has to offer -- in very plain language.

Passersby on the busy thoroughfare were greeted Tuesday with a freshly posted sign outside the Century Lounge proclaiming "Vaginas R' Us."

As no surprise, the less-than-subtle advertisement has heads turning and adjacent businesses calling for the sign's removal.

"We don't appreciate the signage and we're working with the city (of Los Angeles) to make sure this establishment is adhering to all codes," said Laurie Hughes, executive director of Gateway to L.A., an association that promotes airport-area businesses along Century Boulevard.

The association has urged its board of directors -- mostly managers and owners of surrounding hotels and businesses -- to write letters to the city government and the owner of land on Century and Aviation boulevards.

Juan Garcia, a manager at the Carl's Jr. restaurant next door to the club, said it was just a matter of time until he receives complaints from customers about the sign.

"It'll bring some comments," he said. "It shouldn't be up there."

But Century Lounge owner Howard White insists he's simply advertising his business, and says it's no different than a Broadway marquee hawking a popular play.

"In sort of a naive way, I felt that there was nothing terrible about it since the 'Vagina Monologues' was on Broadway forever," he said. "I didn't feel there was anything terrible about it."

And technically, there isn't, Los Angeles city officials say.

"The word 'vagina' is not an obscene word and we're not in a position to question the First Amendment," Councilman Bill Rosendahl said.

But White won't get off that easy.

Pasted over a portion of the original sign heralding "Live Nude Nude Nudes," the addition is made of plastic vinyl. The material is combustible and violates municipal code standards for pole signs.

White was served with a citation Thursday, and has until close of business Sunday to replace the sign, said David Keim, chief of code enforcement for the city.

White, whose family has used the corner of Century and Aviation boulevards for various businesses for almost 70 years, does not own the land.

Joe Lumer, a representative for landowner LRW Investment Co., declined to comment on the sign but said, as a tenant, White has his rights. His lease from LRW expires in 2009.

The business association has also contacted popular toy store chain Toys "R" Us in hopes a cease-and-desist letter might speed the sign's removal.

Susan McLaughlin, a Toys "R" Us spokeswoman, said the company was aware of the situation and would be "looking into it immediately."

But surrounding businesses better not get their hopes up. While White says he'll change the materials, the wording is staying -- even if Toys "R" Us' Geoffrey the Giraffe is breathing down his neck.

"If I hear anything from them, I'll just change 'us' to 'Vaginas is Us' or 'Vaginas Are Us,' " he said.

This isn't the first time White has pushed the envelope.

In the 1980s, he was told he couldn't use "nude" in a sign. Instead he displayed "N-U-D-E" in big letters and placed a small "g" between the "d" and "e."

No "nude." Just "nudge."

He kept it up for two weeks.

Association members argue the newest sign only reinforces a seedy image the area has worked hard to shed, and shouldn't be one of the first things visitors to Los Angeles should see after leaving the airport.

Toronto resident Martin McCann has spent the past two weeks traveling throughout California with his wife and two sons.

The Century Lounge wasn't on the family's list of attractions to visit while in Los Angeles, and McCann thought the sign was offensive and unnecessary.

"The 'nude, nude' part already gives you a good idea of what's inside," he said.

But some tourists took a more lighthearted approach.

"I love it," said Andrew Mates, from Sydney, Australia. "It's hilarious. I've never seen anything like it. It's the first thing I saw when we got here."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/1775087.html

Reminds me of the time I driving back from Pineknob at about 2:00 A.M. There, right along I-94 just before Jackson, someone had change the marquee

on a motel to Free Cunt on one side and the other side was Truckers get your box lunches filled here. I wondered how long that stayed up, who put it there, and how much controversy that caused. This was about 25 years ago and I still chuckle whenever I drive by.

Reminds me of the time I driving back from Pineknob ....This was about 25 years ago and I still chuckle whenever I drive by.

Here's my (close to) 25 year old memory of a similar thing. Going to Pine Knob from Windsor (for Blue Oyster Cult). I think near Troy taking I-75. Big Beaver Road at Exit 69. When you are 14 and stoned this kind of thing gives you a chuckle. Of course I've grown up now :g