WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

Things are getting better:

PARIS (AFP): A French lawyer plans to mount a legal challenge to the World Cup final result to establish whether the expulsion of Zinedine Zidane was within the rules.

Zidane, the French captain and playmaker, was sent off in the second period of extra-time of Sunday night's match in Berlin, for a blatant headbutt on an Italian player.

But the off-ball incident was missed by the refree and his linesmen and it was only after consulation with the fourth match official that the decision to red card Zidane was taken.

Italy went on to win the World Cup shortly afterwards 5-3 on penalties.

Lawyer Mehana Mouhou, however, said he intended to ask a Paris court to question the fourth official to ascertain whether he had illegally used videotape to check what had happened.

"If a judge determines that illegal methods were used, the proper consequences must be drawn," he said.

"That means that Zidane should never have been sent off and it would be impossible to predict what the match result would have been and it should be replayed."

Mouhou said he was acting on behalf of "several football clubs."

FIFA rules explicitly state that FIFA is above the lowly worldly courts so this will go nowhere, but it is interesting and I hope to see some video footage that shows us where the fourth had his eyes when the incident took place. And it would certainly be nice to have him look somewhere completely different as that is likely to force FIFA to act with respect to video proof.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PARIS (AFP): A French lawyer plans to mount a legal challenge to the World Cup final result to establish whether the expulsion of Zinedine Zidane was within the rules.

Zidane, the French captain and playmaker, was sent off in the second period of extra-time of Sunday night's match in Berlin, for a blatant headbutt on an Italian player.

But the off-ball incident was missed by the refree and his linesmen and it was only after consulation with the fourth match official that the decision to red card Zidane was taken.

Lawyer Mehana Mouhou, however, said he intended to ask a Paris court to question the fourth official to ascertain whether he had illegally used videotape to check what had happened.

"If a judge determines that illegal methods were used, the proper consequences must be drawn," he said.

"That means that Zidane should never have been sent off and it would be impossible to predict what the match result would have been and it should be replayed."

As a result, the whole World Cup tournament will have to be replayed :)

.... and maybe the Dutch won't make it to the second round!! :g;)

Probably not, with manager Marco van Basten's attitude; he's convinced he did very well...

Probably not, with manager Marco van Basten's attitude; he's convinced he did very well...

As long as they don't have that card happy referee, they should make it to the quarters!

From the BBC, here is a translation of the statement given by Zidane:

Interviewer: You know the Italian players well because you played in Italy for five years. Did you have any problem with any of them beforehand?

Zinedine Zidane: Not at all. You always have friction with certain players...that is the game, it has always been like that. But I never had any clashes with anyone.

Interviewer: Nor Materazzi?

Zinedine Zidane: No, never. There was nothing beforehand and nothing in the match until he started pulling my jersey.

He grabbed my shirt and I told him to stop. I told him if he wanted I'd swap it with him at the end of the match.

That is when he said some very hard words, which were harder than gestures. He repeated them several times. It all happened very quickly and he spoke about things which hurt me deep down.

Interviewer: Everyone wants to know exactly what he said...

Zinedine Zidane: They were very serious things, very personal things.

Interviewer: About your mother and your sister?

Zinedine Zidane: Yes. They were very hard words. You hear them once and you try to move away.

But then you hear them twice, and then a third time... I am a man and some words are harder to hear than actions. I would rather have taken a blow to the face than hear that.

Interviewer: He said these things about your mother and sister two or three times?

Zinedine Zidane: Yes. I reacted and of course it is not a gesture you should do. I must say that strongly.

It was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children.

It was an inexcusable gesture and to them, and the people in education whose job it is to show children what they should and shouldn't do, I want to apologise.

Interviewer: You apologise to them but do you really regret having done it?

Zinedine Zidane: I can't regret it because if I do it would be like admitting that he was right to say all that. And above all, it was not right.

We always talk about the reaction, and inevitably it must be punished. But if there is no provocation, there is no reaction.

First of all you have to say there is provocation, and the guilty one is the one who does the provoking. The response is to always punish the reaction, but if I react, something has happened.

Do you imagine that in a World Cup final like that, with just 10 minutes to go to the end of my career, I am going to do something like that because it gives me pleasure?

Interviewer: No of course not. But at the moment you exploded...

Zinedine Zidane: There was provocation, and it was very serious, that is all. My action was inexcusable but you have to punish the real culprit, and the real culprit is the one who provoked it. Voila

In the end of the interview, Zizou gave the confirmation that he would stop his career but admits "I hope I'll not change of decision". He announced that perhaps he would play in Marseille with his friends as an amateur.

Maybe he's thinking that's a bad way to end a career and he'll keep in shape for a possible Euro 2008 farewell. Of course, he'd probably have to serve a ban of probably four matches.

Maybe he's thinking that's a bad way to end a career and he'll keep in shape for a possible Euro 2008 farewell. Of course, he'd probably have to serve a ban of probably four matches.

He could help us for the qualification to Euro 2008.

Specially the 6 september at the Stade de France, qualification match for Euro 2008 : FRANCE vs ITALY.

It could be a Zidane vs Materazzi match :crazy::crazy::crazy: !!!

:g

...Zinedine Zidane: Yes. I reacted and of course it is not a gesture you should do. I must say that strongly.

It was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children.

It was an inexcusable gesture and to them, and the people in education whose job it is to show children what they should and shouldn't do, I want to apologise.

Interviewer: You apologise to them but do you really regret having done it?

Zinedine Zidane: I can't regret it because if I do it would be like admitting that he was right to say all that. And above all, it was not right.

:unsure: Maybe he does need more time to think this through. He "can't regret it"... so, in the above comments, is he telling these millions of children that when they grow up, it's really okay to head butt if they are provoked seriously enough? :wacko: He should regret it. He has a right to suggest that Materazzi also be punished, but he should regret the head butt.

IMO.

Edited by Jim R

:unsure: Maybe he does need more time to think this through. He "can't regret it"... so, in the above comments, is he telling these millions of children that when they grow up, it's really okay to head butt if they are provoked seriously enough? :wacko: He should regret it. He has a right to suggest that Materazzi also be punished, but he should regret the head butt.

IMO.

actually, I think it shows the guy knows how his own personal clock ticks. He did tell the kids not to act like him and he told the grown ups that he could not have acted differently. There is much more behind that than any of us will be able to fathom I guess.

Somehow the novelty of the incident completely wore off on me.

Basically I'm gearing up for the Euro 2008. Perhaps we'll see the old Zidane yet again.

Italy and France are in the same group.

Probably getting tiresome, but here's an interesting little article from the BBC, Zidane: Victim or Villain?

To me, that article comes across as kind of sensational and cute, as opposed to serious and insightful. It seems obvious to me- Zidane is both (victim and villain in this incident) and Materazzi is both as well. I still put more blame on Zidane. He resorted to physical violence (at an unthinkable time and place) in return for verbal provocation (not an equal exchange), and he is (or should be) the more mature of these two individuals. Materazzi being punished would please me (I hope it happens), but Zidane should accept any and all blame that he gets; should fully regret his action; and shouldn't bother to spend any more energy blaming Materazzi. It's childish. We can all csee what happened.

Somehow the novelty of the incident completely wore off on me.

Basically I'm gearing up for the Euro 2008. Perhaps we'll see the old Zidane yet again.

Italy and France are in the same group.

Probably getting tiresome, but here's an interesting little article from the BBC, Zidane: Victim or Villain?

To me, that article comes across as kind of sensational and cute, as opposed to serious and insightful. It seems obvious to me- Zidane is both (victim and villain in this incident) and Materazzi is both as well. I still put more blame on Zidane. He resorted to physical violence (at an unthinkable time and place) in return for verbal provocation (not an equal exchange), and he is (or should be) the more mature of these two individuals. Materazzi being punished would please me (I hope it happens), but Zidane should accept any and all blame that he gets; should fully regret his action; and shouldn't bother to spend any more energy blaming Materazzi. It's childish. We can all csee what happened.

:tup What Jim said!

Cheers,

Shane

Lippi: "Listen Marco, don't try to tackle or beat openly Zidane as you usually do with your opponent, okay?.

Because, soon or later, you'll be send off, Marco.

The best thing to do with that bloody muslim, his to pull his shirt from start to end and hit his unkle as much as you can.

And, most of all, you MUST insult him all the time. But with lot of calm, Marco, more like you're speaking to yourself than to him, you get the picture?

I know the guy, I've been his coach for for five too long years.

Believe me, he'll crack down at one time or another.

In particular if you put the word "sister" or, even better, "mother" in every of your insult, son."

Materazzi: "I can't do that coach. I'd rather break his leg than insult his mother. You know that. I can't insult somebody by using the name of his mother. I really can't do that coach!"

Lippi: "Don't be stupid, Marco. You have to do it for your squad, for your country. If you succeed to get him send out, France will collapse, Marco. And the World Cup will be ours. Do you understand what it means to be CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, son ?"

Materazzi: "Please coach, not about his mother. I like all mothers. Mothers is sacred to me, coach. You know that I can't do that (Materazzi starts to cry.)

Lippi: "Listen Marco. You're in the team because I'VE CHOOSE YOU TO BE IN.

Your true mother IT'S ME, MARCO. I'm the mother and the father of every ITALIAN PLAYERS who's in that team, Marco, do you understand?

Let me tell you something else, Marco. If you don't do what I've ask you, my son, I mean my REAL son, will get you quick out of INTER.

Do you want to be transfered to JUVENTUS Marco? And play fduring two or three years in B or C seria with that bastard french Deschamp as coach? With a salary cut by four?

Materazzi: "No coach, not that, not with Deschamp. And I need the money coach. I really do. Please... All rigth, I'll do like you say coach (Materazzi crossed himself many times, tears flow from his eyes)."

Lippi: "Good, very good, my boy. This is how I like you. Now you're going to learn by heart a sentence that I want you to tell him near the end of the game, Marco. Listen carrefully, son..."

Lippi whispers some words in the ear of Materazzi who have stop to cry and listen now carrefully.

Lippi: "Okay? Get It? If we win this World Cup, maybe I can ask my son to help you to double you salary to. After all, you'll be an hero, you 'll be CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, Marco! No one can refused something to a player who just win the World Cup for Italia, Nobody.

And you'll stay in the national team as long as I'm the coach, son."

Lippi moves away, speaking to himself:

"Now, I'm going to say to every media that Zidane is the World best player I've seen since, I don't no, since ever... Yes, this what I am going to say to everybody: Zidane is the best player, ever."

Lippi lights his first cigar of the day.

" And I'll resigned immediately after the Cup, especially if we have win it. One thing that I don't want to see, anymore, is the rat face of that son of a bitch again. That Materazzi gives me the creeps everytime I see him play. After all, I'm an esthete. The real "zen maestro" of the world, it's me, not that French muslim. They are going to see what looks like REALLY, their so-called "World's coolest man" when push to his limit."

After have taken some puff from his cigar, Lippi walks rigth into the room of Cannavaro.

Edited by P.L.M

This is a rather well thought out article by Rob Hughes, who writes for the International Herald Tribune, Hughes on Zidane.

Now that one I do agree with, for the most part (obviously, as I already mentioned some of the same key points he mentions regarding regrets, non-regrets, and childish explanations). The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the notion that FIFA ought to strip Zidane of his award as player of the tournament. The issues seem separate to me... it's an award for skillful play throughout the tournament, not a sportsmanship award. If he was the best player, he was the best player. No need to strip that away to try to set some kind of example, when he's already endured plenty of criticism and negative attention in the media. The saga has already unfolded for everyone to reflect on as they see fit. No need for FIFA to try to assert any more of their rather inadequate brain power to the situation. I would say again, though, it would still help if Zidane would express full and unconditional regrets for his action to all adults and children alike. I'm sure there are plenty of adults that are just as much in need of a good example set by Zidane as the children of the world (I played with plenty of childlike adults in my days in the recreational leagues). :rolleyes:

As far as the issue of this putting a big negative stamp on his career, I think that's overblown. It was just one brief example of a few negative incidents that occured over a long and illustrious career. He should simply be remembered for the great career and the vast predominance of positive and inspiring things he did.