I'd ask for help naming this dog but ...

When I found out his name is *already* "Coltrane" I knew we had to adopt him!

On the edit, as usual, I am unable to attach the picture so its not really the thread I wanted to start.

Anywhoo, my wife's grown quite distressed at the lack of an animal presence in our home since the demise of our beloved Bailey, and so it looks like we are heading to the Humane Society this weekend to pick up our new companion.

She went by herself yesterday and saw a schipperke mix, really adorable looking and when she looked up at the name and saw that it was "Coltrane" she knew she had to tell me about it. So, I'm going to see the dog this afternoon to make a decision, but because it was a stray that was picked up, the original owners have til Saturday to claim him before we get first dibs.

How am I gonna tell Coltrane that I really don't care for his namesake's later work? B)

Edited by Dan Gould

How long before the name becomes 'Trane? Coltrane's fine, but for the really hip jazz fan only 'Trane will do! I like the idea of naming your pet after your favorite jazz musician, though. A great way to spread the jazz message with non-jazz fans in the park, or on the sidewalk, or with visitors in your home! "Here, Trane, c'mon 'Trane, let's go 'Trane!" I'm sure you'd get some questions which would lead into a nice discussion. Think think of the possibilities - Miles, Newk, Max, Duke, Basie, Bird, Diz, Zoot(!), Lady Day, Ella, Bud, Woody...