Fritz the Cat Soundtrack

mikeweil

Anyone here that has the Fritz the Cat Soundtrack LP or its CD reissue on Fantasy? Cal Tjader is reported to have played on Mamblues. Is there any personnel for this track on the liner, details about the recording date and studio?

Or is this the version Tjader recorded September 21, 1954 - this one runs 2:24 - and first released on the Tjader Plays Mambo or Mambo With Tjader LPs?

Thanks as always!

mike, there is a 1+ minute real audio sample of the track here, should be long enough for a pro like you to identify...

sounds like 70s alright.

Thanks for searching and posting the link, John! :tup

You're right, that's 1970's sound, Tjader obviously recorded a new fourth version for the soundtrack. Vibes, guitar, electric piano, electric bass, drums, and congas - but doesn't sound like Tjader's regular sidemen of the time nor like the studio guys producer Ed Bogas employed for the Tjader studio LPs.

I'm afraid I'll have to buy that puppy to find out whether there's any session info in the liner ..... Nice track, and indispensable for a Tjader nut like me, anyway. :rolleyes:

First post. Here goes:

From the Fritz the Cat/Heavy Traffic OST CD on Fantasy/ZYX:

4. "Mamblues" 3:04

(Cal Tjader) Bandy Music BMI

Cal Tjader - vibes

Arthur Adams - guitar

Chuck Rainey - bass

Bernard Purdie - drums

Kenneth Nash - percussion

ISRC: DE-A31-96-01535

Produced by Ed Bogas and Ray Shanklin

Recorded between November 1971 and January 1972. Recording and remix engineer - Jim Stern

That's it for info - the liner notes are mainly about the film; the contributors to the soundtrack aren't mentioned until the next to last paragraph. (The notes from the original release of the Heavy Traffic soundtrack are not included.)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Christopher J

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but I was wondering about this track and have been for a while. (I have it on a BGP Acid Jazz Comp.) Are there more tracks from this session? The CD I have has no info about it at all, so this is more than I knew this morning, but I've always wanted to hear more from this group.