Sports: 2005 NFL Season

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After last night, it appears the Raiders' biggest needs for improvement are pass defense and providing better pass protection for Kerry Collins. Randy Moss was largely responsible for making last night's game competitive. Collins needs to find a balance between getting the ball to Moss and using him as a decoy to find Porter, Curry, Whitted, etc. LaMont Jordan also looked very good for Oakland.

I was very impressed by the Raiders' improvement in rushing defense, limiting Corey Dillon to far fewer yards than I thought they would. Overall, despite the loss and a few glaring errors, I'd say this was a good game for the Raiders. That was the defending Superbowl champs they made look very beatable. :tup

Moss with Moss's work ethic is no big deal.  Sure he had 130 yds last night, but his team lost.  He should be the difference maker with his talent, and he's not.  Wasn't for the Vikings, and won't be for the Raiders.

...IMO.

The difference maker usually is having defensive pressure when you're facing a very accurate and smart QB. Obviously, Brady had all day to find his receivers with 20-30 yard laser beam passes. When that's the case, the Raiders could have had two Randy Moss receivers out there. Doesn't make any difference.

They Pats also proved that they still have a defense to reckon with.  Sure it was scary when Moss started the game with two huge receptions, but once the Pats threw their safeties out extra-deep they were able to throw Collins off his rhythm and it was all over.

Oh, I don't know if the deep safeties were the reason. I think it was the switch to the 4-3 defense. Once they did that, they were able to line up Seymour and Wilfork in the gaps. Collins was not the same after the switch.

I was so happy when I saw that switch to the 4-3. I have been telling everyone that the Patriots would be doing this. In fact, I thought that they would start out in a 4-3. Clearly they have the "4" to do a 4-3 whereas in the past, their "4" in the 3-4 was their strength. With the 4-3, they get Green on the field and it frees up the outside rushing lanes for Vrabel and McGinnest, two guys that can & do bring on the heat. The "loser" in this (so far) is Colvin but I think his time will come. He is getting close to where he was.

I knew Moss was going to give us fits. Once I saw Tyrone Poole was on him man-to-man... well, I could have made that pass. Just throw it high. Poole can't jump and he's shorter than I am. What a mis-match that was. Of course, from then on, Poole was nowhere near Moss (and may even end up on the Patriots injury report, if rumors are true).

Patriots are looking pretty beatable right now. Hopefully, Belichick can use the films from this and whip them into shape. A blocked punt? That was terrible.

BTW, it sure looked to me like Watson caught that ball. Also, I think if Wilfork didn't come down with that INT, I bet a video replay would have ruled Collins' arm motion as a "tuck". Wouldn't that have been funny?

Kevin

BTW, it sure looked to me like Watson caught that ball. Also, I think if Wilfork didn't come down with that INT, I bet a video replay would have ruled Collins' arm motion as a "tuck". Wouldn't that have been funny?

Kevin

Besides having the ball hit the turf, they also would have had to switch Collins' jersey to Patriots red, white, and blue to get that call. Cheaters. :g

Kevin

Besides having the ball hit the turf, they also would have had to switch Collins' jersey to Patriots red, white, and blue to get that call. Cheaters. :g

Bullshit roughing the penalty call against the Raiders in 1976, which resulted in allowing the Raiders to score and eventually win the Super Bowl.

Cheaters....

Noj and I go at it again...

:g

Moss with Moss's work ethic is no big deal.  Sure he had 130 yds last night, but his team lost.  He should be the difference maker with his talent, and he's not.  Wasn't for the Vikings, and won't be for the Raiders.

...IMO.

Not only that, but he caused an ill-timed penalty in the second half which hurt his team.

He screws up in critical moments.

Patriots are looking pretty beatable right now. Hopefully, Belichick can use the films from this and whip them into shape. A blocked punt? That was terrible.

Kevin

Give em a break, Kevin. It's only the first game of the season. They'll straighten out their kicking game. Belichick doesn't put up with that kind of crap.

I thought they looked good. They've got to tighten up their run defence and fix the problem on special teams, but aside from that they looked great.

I don't agree about the 4-3. Jarvis Green is awesome, but the problem is that they've got no depth should one of those linemen go down. Who would replace Green, Warren or Seymour if one went down? Maquise Hill? :o

I think Belichick is committed to the 3-4, but Beisel and Chad Brown have to still learn the system. He'll switch the defence around every game, so it probably doesn't matter how they start the game off.

Raiders stayed relatively close due to some dumb Pat penalties in the first half. I thought they pretty much dominated the Raiders, though the score didn't necessarily reflect it. Brady didn't show any hunger to pile up the score. We should have reminded him of Noj's comments...

^_^

WEEK # 1 Picks

browns pick

browns + 3.5 vs cincy

lock of the week

chargers - 4.5 vs cowgirlzzz

upset of the week

arizona + 3 vs ny giants

others

st louis - 5.5 vs san fran

houston + 5.5 vs buffalo (houston could be the real deal this season)

carolina - 7 vs saints (sorry)

vikings - 6 vs tampa bay

over 47.5 points in the ny jets/ kansas city game

sunday night

baltimore + 3 vs indy

tough close game

ray lewis is a bad mofo

monday

eagles pick em vs falcons

ss1

Exciting Dallas/San Diego game this afternoon! Not the prettiest game, but certainly hard fought by both sides. San Diego made some critical penalties on Dallas 3rd down plays, that kept drives alive that otherwise would have died.

And Bledsoe looked solid, for being a human pigeon target back there. The O-Line didn't protect him well enough, which will give Parcells something to chew on them for, even after a win. Patrick Crayton looks like the real deal at wide receiver. Key, Glenn, Crayton, Peerless, and Witten - Bledsoe's going to have plenty of targets out there, which will only help the running game.

And the D looked decent, but still not solid in their switch to a 3-4. Anthony Henry played great, but Ware looked like a rookie at times. He did have some good pressure on Brees though, and I think as he gets more seasoned he'll only get better and better.