Sports: 2005 NFL Season

I think too much is being made of NE's injuries.  They didn't look good at the beginning of the year, either, when more people were healthy.  NE won over the last 4 years with schemes and game-plans as much as their actual talent, and their performance this year has more do with with the loss of their coaching staff than the loss of any players, IMO. 

I don't agree at all.

Rodney went down in the Pittsburgh game, and they've played like crap after that.

Carolina manhandled the Pat secondary, and I will agree that the weaknesses were showing then. On the other hand, they thoroughly outplayed a good team when they beat Pittsburgh the following week. Again, it has been downhill ever since.

I do agree that injuries don't tell the whole story, but they did lose Bruscke for the first half of the season, and Ted Johnson suddenly retired during training camp. There were too many personnel issues to patch them all up effectively.

If the team can replenish with next year's draft and free agency period, you will definitely see the Pats as a real championship contender again. It is very possible, but this year is out.

In 2002 after winning their first Super Bowl, the Pats finished 9-7 and couldn't stop the run. The following season, they signed Ted Washington and even though they stumbled at the start when they suddenly released safety Lawyer Milloy, they went on to win two straight Super Bowls.

The team looked really bad in 2002. Really bad. Next year is another story.

Colts obviously look good, but the NFC has some good teams this year with NY Giants, Washington, Dallas, Philly, Carolina, Atlanta, Seattle. I wouldn't hand over the crown to the Colts just yet. They still haven't played anybody tough. (NE wasn't tough.)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's Boston Globe:

A sorry predicament for T.O.

By Jim McCabe, Globe Staff  |  November 11, 2005

Terrell Owens looked at the list and shook his head.

''Drew, baby, I'll apologize to Nicollette Sheridan. Fine. But why do I have to apologize to Brad Pitt?"

Drew Rosenhaus, Owens's super agent man, said, ''T.O., sweetheart, it's all part of the entertainment game. Maybe you came between Brad and Jen, maybe you didn't. Just apologize. We're on an apology roll. We've got the press at our feet."

''Fine," said Owens. ''I'll do it. And on your list here, you've got all those fans in Detroit at the NBA game a year ago. I'll apologize to them, too, but that wasn't me. It was Ron Artest and the Pacers who went into the stands."

''I know that and you know that, T.O., but we've got to stick to the script. Let's just keep saying sorry until we've covered just about everything. Then reporters will ask me questions and I'll say, 'Next question,' " said Rosenhaus. ''Young football players will look at me and think I'm one tough cookie. You're toast, T.O., but it's no longer about you."

''Jerry Jones? Why do I have to apologize to him?"

''You embarrassed the Cowboy star, remember?"

''Jeff Garcia?"

''You questioned his . . ."

''Yeah, yeah, I remember," said Owens. ''But why am I saying sorry to Mike Sherman?"

''The cellphone during his weekly press conference, remember?"

''It wasn't me," said Owens.

''Maybe not, but it makes up for the Sharpie incident after scoring that touchdown. You never did apologize for that."

''You've got to be kidding me with this list. The price of gas? The leaks in the CIA? Why would I take blame for those?"

''Trust me, T.O. I'm Super Agent Man. This is the way to go, unless you want to apologize to Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid."

Owens thought for a moment, shook his head, and said: ''I'm sorry I hired you."

:g

week 10

Browns pick

dilfer is not better than most of the qbs in the league, but he's better than charlie batch.

plus he owns a super bowl ring

browns + 8 vs da steelers

lock of the week

detroit - 4 vs arizona

upset

kc + 3 vs buffalo

others

san fran +13 vs chicago the bears are not that good

houston + 17.5 vs colts the colts are that good, but i'll roll with the points

wahinton - 1 vs tampa bay

vikings + 9.5 vs ny giants

j-ville -6.5 vs ravens the ravens are just plain terrible

carolina - 9 vs jets

denver - 3 vs raiders

seattle - .65 vs st louis

Edited by Soulstation1

Wild ending to the Cowboys/Eagles MNF game! Cowboys were dominated by the Eagles, offensively and defensively for 56 minutes, but scored a late touchdown to get within 6, then McNabb throws an INT to Roy Williams, who runs it in for the winning score.

Eagles found a running game that I didn't think they had. The receivers were ok, but nothing special. Hard to say whether T.O.'s absence cost them the game or not (he didn't affect the outcome in the first game between these two teams).

For the Eagles fans on the board, you have my sympathies today. Dallas stole a win from ya at the end. But it has happened to the Boys as well - Redskins got one from us in Week 2 like that. In fact, 7 of the Cowboys' 9 games have been decided by 6 points or less, so they've been in a bunch of nailbiters.

T.O. is an idiot, no doubt, and he should have kept his mouth shut and collected his salary. But I honestly began wondering last night if he didn't have a point when he said the problem with Philly was at QB. (Not that I think Favre is the answer by any means- he's pretty much done in my view). But I watched the first three quarters last night and though the Eagles were leading at that point, I didn't think McNabb looked all that impressive. He didn't seem to be playing with a lot of confidence and he wasn't as dominating as a championship quarterback must be, especially at home. The Eagles have a lot of problems.

WEEK # 11

browns pick

browns - 2 vs miami

i think miami will willll this one for real

lock of the week

j-ville -4 vs tenn

upset

bengals + 5 vs colts

should be a good game

others

carolina - 3 vs bears

st louis - 9.5 vs cards

oakland + 5.5 vs washington the raiders win straight up

dallas -8 vs lions

san fran + 11.5 vs seattle

baltimore + 3.5 vs pitts low scoring game

Arbitrator upholds T.O. suspension

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Terrell Owens' season is effectively over after an arbitrator ruled Wednesday that the Philadelphia Eagles were justified in suspending him for four games.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch wrote that the Eagles clearly proved that the suspension was justified, and were within their right to pay their All-Pro receiver but not allow him to return "due to the nature of his conduct and its destructive and continuing threat to the team."

The Eagles did not immediately comment after the decision was announced.

"We are pleased that the arbitrator has upheld the right of a club to suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the club," said Harold Henderson, the NFL's head of labor relations. "The ruling makes clear that Terrell Owens and his agent engaged in conduct that was disruptive to the Eagles and that coach Reid's decision to suspend the player was appropriate."

Bloch heard more than 13 hours of testimony last week. Owens' side argued the penalty is excessive and the Eagles' decision to deactivate him is too severe. Owens wanted to be reinstated to the Eagles or released so he can sign with another team.

Owens was suspended Nov. 5 after he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization "classless" and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team "ambassador."

Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return. The reigning conference champions are 0-3 without Owens and 4-6 overall, last in the NFC East.

Owens has five years remaining on a seven-year, $48.97 million contract that he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004. His problems started when he demanded a new contract after an outstanding season in which he caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.

With Owens, the Eagles are 17-5 over two seasons. Without him, they're 2-5, including two meaningless losses and two playoff wins.