Bessie Smith

Alexander Hawkins

I did a search, and was surprised to turn up no general discussion about Bessie Smith...

I've just bought my first CDs (although I had listened to some old lps of my dad's) - vol.3 of the Columbia complete recordings.

I can already see that the rest of the volumes won't be far away.

I really enjoy the groups on this. Some unconventional formats, I guess - piano and an accompanying horn, for the most part - but wonderful players. I was surprised to hear Shelton Hemphill, who is great here (I tend to associate him with a decade and a bit after these recordings), and also Joe Smith, whose playing I've always liked (that tone... :wub: )

It's also good to hear a lot of Fletcher Henderson on piano...I don't know exactly why - it's not outstanding in any obvious way - but it's very appealing.

So, I was hoping to generate some discussion about Bessie Smith - to help me learn as much as anything else!

Some favourites of mine from this particular box:

Honey Man Blues

Send Me to the 'Lectric Chair

Pickpocket Blues

I'm a big Bessie fan, and have recently gone through the Frog label's eight volumes, which I really love. . . the sound is clearer than the Columbias, though the Columbia cds have those FANTASTIC notes from Chris Albertson with all those photos and record labels, etc. I confess, I have most of the Columbia sets, and all the Frog cds!

I love the sessions with Louis! And yes, that Joe Smith tone!

Oh, to have been in that audience!

AND HOW !

Any date on that, Chris?

Bessie is a gold mine of music that you can return to again and again. I've been listening to her since the late 50s when Columbia just had a 4 lp 48 track set. I bought the complete Columbia lp set that Chris wrote the notes to , and finally the wound up with the Frog set.

Red, Don't miss Chris' interview with Ruby Walker in the last volume of the Columbia cds and don't miss Chris' book - BESSIE. It's THE book on Bessie Smith.

I'm also waiting for the Dinah Washington sing Bessie Smith album to come in the post. I wonder how that is!

I like it - It swings and Dinah is ...Dinah.

I also like the "Lavern Baker Sings Bessie Smith" Atlantic album. You have Buck Clayton and Vic Dickenson on that - also a great version of "On Revival Day".

• 2 weeks later...

Actually - could anyone help me at all?

I'm taking down 'Honey Man Blues', but just can't for the life of me hear a couple of the lines. In particular,

My heart's on fire, but my love is icy cold,

[What comes here?]

Nor can I get any of the next verse, although I do get the last verse.

If anyone could take a listen and fill in these blanks for me, I'd be most grateful!

That 'heart's on fire' line is wonderful, I think.

Edited by Red

Actually - could anyone help me at all?

I'm taking down 'Honey Man Blues', but just can't for the life of me hear a couple of the lines. In particular,

[What comes here?]

Nor can I get any of the next verse, although I do get the last verse.

If anyone could take a listen and fill in these blanks for me, I'd be most grateful!

That 'heart's on fire' line is wonderful, I think.

This is the best I can come up with:

Well, I'm goin' right to his face and get him told.

I'll fix him if it's twenty years from now,

I'll fix him if it's twenty years from now,

I'll have him bellyin' (bellowing) just like a cow.

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like:

• My heart's on fire, but my love is icy cold,
    Well I'm goin' right to his place and get him told

I'll fix him if it's twenty years from now
    I'll fix him if it's twenty years from now
    I'll have him (bellowin'?) just like a cow

I was born in Georgia, my ways are underground
    I was born in Georgia, my ways are underground
    If you mistreat me, I'll hunt you like a hound

Just saw Stereojack's post--looks like we're on the same track.

Edited by Christiern

• 2 years later...

I know I'm kinda late to the party here with respect to Bessie. I hadn't paid her any attention until I recently got the Mosaic Lang/Venuti set which has three nice Bessie tracks. Yesterday I was lucky enough to pick up Vols. 2 and 4 of Christiern's CBS 2LPs (very cheaply)

Both unplayed sets on the Avan-Guard label ( Australian licensee?) on ultra flimsy vinyl but boy what fabulous music , hooked totally . These transfers sound pretty good to my ears but what a voice. As I say I'm late but I'm listening. Guess I'll go for the Frogs as that appears to be the received way rather than fill in the LP sets.

Edited by Clunky