Are the Texas Board members getting ready for

BERIGAN

050923_traffic_hmed_4a.hmedium.jpg

That was a good move.

Yes, it's nice to see Gov. Perry and all have really thought this thing through. :blink: (Again, our goverment officials put on their thinking caps).

Maybe next time they could "Pre-position" some gas along with the MREs and Water. Just think if we go through 6 or 7 more of these hurricanes we might get all this figured out eventually.

Edited by Soul Stream

Houston's a maritime city, among other things!

It's also the 4th largest city (population) in America.

Many people don't realize this. Just behind Chicago, LA and NY.

Yeah, but its metropolitan area population is like 8th, and Philly's is still 4th. :P Not that it really matters--it's still a hell of a lot of people to be in the way of a hurricane.

Edited by Ron S

Maybe next time they could "Pre-position" some gas along with the MREs and Water. 

Dude - I live in Plano. about 20 miles north of Dallas, and there ain't no gas to be had right now. At least not as of this morning. People are going nuts filling up before there's a shortage, which is, of course, creating a shortage anyway. Go figure.

Maybe next time they could "Pre-position" some gas along with the MREs and Water. 

Dude - I live in Plano. about 20 miles north of Dallas, and there ain't no gas to be had right now. At least not as of this morning. People are going nuts filling up before there's a shortage, which is, of course, creating a shortage anyway. Go figure.

That's usually what happens when you hear on the news that the government is asking people not to fill up unless they need to.

All of a sudden, everyone needs to full up.

Come over near White Rock.

No lines and plenty of gas (well, I didn't see any signs that said they were out).

I'm set on gas until November. :lol:

I did do the regular grocery thing this morn and the shelves that normally have water are nearly empty- go figure :wacko:

Edited by rostasi

Hey, I should have looked before I laughed. Couldn't find any gas here in Austin either. Finally a station that looked like they were out but actually had Premium for just $2.79. I get the feeling that's going to be a bargain price for a long, long time.

Rather uneventful...

Not one drop of rain!

We had lots of gusty winds.

A few times while standing in the back yard,

I had to hold on to something so that I didn't fall over

and it wasn't even martini time!

One thing that was kind of sad: we had a really big tree

that was right in front of the house and it fell down into the creek.

I had the window open in my studio and I heard a really loud ~CRACK~ sound.

It was an old oak tree - about 60 ft (ca. 18 meters) tall with a trunk width of about 5 ft (1.5 meters).

It had to have been at least 50 years old. So, now we have this "hole" in our view of the trees.

In the morning when you open the front door, there's now a blinding amount of light! :o

notree.jpg

Got back to Corpus Christi yesterday evening, after our mandatory evacuation last Wednesday. The roads were fine, and I didn't experience any of the incredible "Staus" (traffic jams) like those in the Houston area had to contend with.

My brother-in-law left Houston Thursday morning at 3.a.m after boarding up his windows, thinking he'd beat the traffic out of town. But everyone else apparently had the same bright idea, and he got stuck. Stuck, as in taking over 9 hours to go less than 40 miles. He finally got to Austin Friday and said that despite the complete chaos of being stuck on the Interstate, people mostly remained civilized.

Anyway, I hope any of our board members in the Houston-to-Louisiana area are ok after this one.

Left Houston for Austin early Thursday morning. Thought I had the back roads and alternates picked out to avoid what I saw on the tube. WRONG! Ended up stopping at an alternate place to stay well short of Austin (La Grange -- about 100 miles out-- turned out to be quite far enough, with nary a drop of rain), and only managed to make it there after 11 hours and most of my tank of gas. From the sounds of it, I made out way better than the average. Am I sorry I did it? Hell no, that thing could have made mincemeat out of us, and I can only imagine the exodus from Houston if it only became obvious it would hit US as late as the poor folk of Beaumont/Port Arthur and points east realized that horrible fact. THAT would have been the ultimate mess, and it could happen next week.....maybe I should keep my "desert island" cd/book collection in boxes just in case! Sort of like carrying an umbrella to ward off rain.......

La Grange, eh? How CONVINIENT! ;)  :g  :lol:

Are you saying you would have stayed at the Chicken Ranch, if it were still doing business??!! :wacko:

Anyhow, this weekend the residents were more interested in picking grocery store shelves clean, and queing up for a tank of gas. Sad I couldn't make it as far as Austin to see some of the ACL festival, but I was lucky to have a place to stay closer to Houston before my gas ran out!