JOS & TRANE

Sundog

I've been rereading Miles (Miles with Quincy Troupe) and I noticed a reference on page 195 to Trane playing with JOS in 1955 (prior to "late" September to be a little more precise). I'm wondering if any recorded material exists? I realize this has probably been discussed before, however my searches of the site have turned up nothing. Additionally, I didn't see anything listed at jazzdisco.org. Thanks in advance for any information on this matter.

My hunch is that the answer is "yes, they did play together; no, they did not record." After Trane joined Miles's quintet, he was replaced in Jimmy's group by Odean Pope. Anybody have Porter on hand to verify?

Even if they did record, I think the recordings would be primarily of historical interest.

Guy

Edited by Guy

all them notes screaming

That's fairly ironic in retrospect.

I've mentioned this before, but I think Jimmy Smith might have had more of an impact on Coltrane than most would care to imagine. In this sense, listen to Groovin At Small's Paradise by Smith and tell me who else had that concept on ANY instrument at the time. Coltrane came closest later, and Jimmy eventually honed his style down quite a bit. But in the mid-50's, Trane and Jimmy played together and, to my ears, Jimmy was playing "sheets of sound" before Trane was.... :cool:

Didn't someone post a link to an interview with Trane, done by some dude who invited him over for dinner at his house after a gig, where Trane talked about Jimmy? I swear, that's on here somewhere. I used to have the audio on my computer, but I don't think I do any more (had a harddrive failure).

Yes, Trane was part of Jimmy's group before Jimmy hit it big. Trane acknowledged the influence many times in interviews. But I don't think they were ever recorded together.

For further proof of Jimmy being ahead of his time, check out the Mosaic set. There is some spectacularily wild organ playing on there.