Welcome Back, Larry Kart!

catesta

Brian Priestley kindly sent me a copy of his review in Jazzwise. Here it is:

Jazz In Search Of Itself

Larry Kart

Yale U.P.        £20.00

Kart has been commenting on jazz since the late 1960s, when he started contributing to Down Beat under the editorship of Dan Morgenstern.  Less of a name on the international critical scene, and perhaps even in his native country, his work has appeared most regularly in the Chicago Tribune.  So it’s appropriate that the cover photo and one of the early chapters both feature saxist-trumpeter Ira Sullivan, who also failed to gain a wide reputation through remaining in Chicago.

It’s our loss that Kart isn’t better known, since he writes thoughtfully and often provocatively on a wide span of music, from Earl Hines to Roscoe Mitchell and from Frank Zappa to Tony Bennett.  The book’s title suggests a heavy thesis but, instead, the pertinent questions about what jazz is (and who it’s for) come up in straightforward artist profiles, grouped in chronological order of significance, rather than their order of first publication.  Even within a brief piece, Kart often focusses on significant details and, in his less enthusiastic comments (for instance, on Peterson and Jarrett), is helpfully specific.  He’s also one of the only writers to identify the similarities between Wynton Marsalis and David Murray, and to deplore the influence of Coltrane and Bill Evans.

Some of the portraits of early-jazz figures are fairly short obituaries or book reviews.  But, as the chronology moves on to “Moderns And After”, the coverage becomes more expansive and, in the case of people like Miles and indeed Marsalis, the author’s reactions from different periods gives a more rounded picture.  It’s a shame the only essay-length entry is from a boxed-set reissue of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh, because Kart is clearly capable of lengthier considerations of several artists here.  But maybe Chicago-based writers don’t get those opportunities.

thanks for posting this, I was just about to type it up !!!

glad you're back Larry, and though that review was friendly, it does not BEGIN to describe the importance of Larry's book - I do not exaggerate when I say that Larry is one of the best writers on jazz that Ive ever read, and I have read just about everything and everyone. And I mean this not only in terms of the quality of his ideas but in his WRITING ability, which is rare in any cultural field.

I hope they disentangled the "Consequence" notes for the CD issue. I wrote them for the initial issue (on LP) of this material in 1979, submitting maybe four numbered sheets of typescript. In the event, someone at Blue Note mixed up the sheets, and in the liner notes as printed, several paragraphs are out of order. Specifically, on the LP issue the first four graphs are in correct order, but the next graph, which begins "As evidence of this..." and the one that follows it ("The rhythm section is 'up' too...") should be preceded by the graphs that begin "Immediately striking here..." and "But Morgan turns..." (That is, graphs seven and eight of the LP notes are graphs five and six in my typescript.). The "rhythm section is 'up' too..." graph then should be followed by the one that begins "Somewhat overshadowed in critical esteem...". From there on, the LP notes are in the right order.

Soul Stream, could you take a look at the CD notes and see if they straightened this out? I think I mentioned what happened here to Cuscuna back in '79, but that was a long time ago, and he has a lot of stuff on his mind.

I hope they disentangled the "Consequence" notes  for the CD issue. I wrote them for the initial issue (on LP) of this material in 1979, submitting maybe four numbered sheets of typescript. In the event, someone at Blue Note mixed up the sheets, and in the liner notes as printed, several paragraphs are out of order. Specifically, on the LP issue the first four graphs are in correct order, but the next graph, which begins "As evidence of this..." and the one that follows it ("The rhythm section is 'up' too...") should be preceded by the graphs that begin "Immediately striking here..." and "But Morgan turns..." (That is, graphs seven and eight of the LP notes are graphs five and six in my typescript.). The "rhythm section is 'up' too..." graph then should be followed by the one that begins "Somewhat overshadowed in critical esteem...".  From there on, the LP notes are in the right order.

Soul Stream, could you take a look at the CD notes and see if they straightened this out? I think I mentioned what happened here to Cuscuna back in '79, but that was a long time ago, and he has a lot of stuff on his mind.

Sorry Larry,

Your originally screwed up liner notes from 1979 are still screwed up in their originally screwed up way. I did notice upon reading them that there seemed to be some incontinuity(sp?), but the general vibe came right through. Especially thought your observations about Lee Morgan were dead on. Great session, and would love to see more of your writing on these Blue Notes.

Thanks for checking, Soul Stream. Hadn't re-read those notes in some time; fun to read them again, in part because the "me" that wrote them (he had some bright ideas abut Jackie and Lee, I think -- and that's a hell of good record) seems kind of distant in time now. For instance, that reference in the notes to Jackie playing a great solo on "My Old Flame" at the Jazz Showcase in Nov. '78 -- I remember being knocked out by that solo but don't remember much else about it anymore.

Thanks for checking, Soul Stream. Hadn't re-read those notes in some time; fun to read them again, in part because the "me" that wrote them (he had some bright ideas abut Jackie and Lee, I think -- and that's a hell of good record) seems kind of distant in time now. For instance, that reference in the notes to Jackie playing a great solo on "My Old Flame" at the Jazz Showcase in Nov. '78  -- I remember being knocked out by that solo but don't remember much else about it anymore.

Funny how time drastically changes our opinions and opinions of ourselves. Just think if we lived to be 1000 years old! Lord knows what we'd think looking back. Anyhow, great writing, even if it was of the Larry Kart '79 variety. ;):D