Muse/Cobblestone

felser

Fields.

What I wonder is this - if a brand new hard copy of some 15-20 yr old records by some less than household names that sold not too many copies back then is only worth $4.99, what would be the "fair market value" for the same material in download form?

For Mr. Fields ( and all owners of material), it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Although I believe that those types of recordings are $2 less than a recent release.

I wonder what kind of profit DG is making from these titles. If they're selling them for $5, are they buying them for ... $2?

I purchased eight titles, a mix of Muse and Landmark, and am looking forward to hearing them. I remember when they initially came out in the early 90's, but at that time I was too involved with collecting "classic" jazz. I did buy about five Wallace Roney titles back then, but only kept Seth Air, which is still an album I like. It was recorded the day Miles Davis died, and apparently Roney was informed of this half-way through the session. I don't know if this charged the session one way or another, but, at least in my mind, Roney (who I consider, fairly or unfairly, an epigone) seems to have more purpose in his playing than usual.

I remember a Lester Bowie blindfold test in DownBeat some years ago. When a Wallace Roney track was played for him, he remarked that the trumpeter really had the "Miles bag" down. When he was told it was Roney, his tone seemed to change radically, and he proceeded to criticize Roney for not really doing anything with his talent.

Fields.

What I wonder is this - if a brand new hard copy of some 15-20 yr old records by some less than household names that sold not too many copies back then is only worth $4.99, what would be the "fair market value" for the same material in download form?

About what eMusic charges! ^_^

• 4 weeks later...