MOLE JAZZ IS CLOSING

David Ayers

King's Cross is unrecognisable now from the days I used to call into Mole when passing through London. You can get any number of lattes and Americanos now....but no jazz records.

Yes, there used to be a huge transition from Euston/Bloomsbury to Kings Cross. East of the Shaw Theatre was, to me, a sort of frontier into the twighlight zone..

I see that interview mentions the builders supplies shop, which I think was situated not too far from the relocated Mole place. Remember seeing a framed 'Kind of Blue' 6-eye LP for sale in the window of that place (a bit of a diversion from selling tins of Artex..).

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading an article about the area in the New Statesman a week or so back. Suggested the area will be even more redeveloped with the new railway developments.

In fact it's here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/08/king-s-cross-derelict-wasteland-caffeinated-utopia

To be honest, I'm amazed that the 'Mole' building and its sign has lasted as long as it has. To my mind the area started to noticeably change and become less hostile around 10 years ago, when I stayed at that Ibis hotel towards the back of the station. Wouldn't have even contemplated such a thing in the 1980s. In fact, back then I used to view the Shaw Theatre as something of a 'frontier' on the way to Mole. Once you reached the environs KC station getting propositioned was a regularity, even as a student - and it wasn't to ask what Miles/Coltrane LPs you'd bought.. ;)

Edited by sidewinder

To be honest, I'm amazed that the 'Mole' building and its sign has lasted as long as it has. To my mind the area started to noticeably change and become less hostile around 10 years ago, when I stayed at that Ibis hotel towards the back of the station. Wouldn't have even contemplated such a thing in the 1980s. In fact, back then I used to view the Shaw Theatre as something of a 'frontier' on the way to Mole. Once you reached the environs KC station getting propositioned was a regularity, even as a student - and it wasn't to ask what Miles/Coltrane LPs you'd bought.. ;)

I never got propositioned there :g

In the eighties, nineties and early 00s I used to stay at a sleazy little hotel (which did the best breakfasts I've ever had) across the road and up the street a few yards from KC Station - thirty quid a night! Each visit I made to London included a trip around the corner to Mole.

There were loads of ne'er do wells around, I grant you. And not many decent places to eat after about six. But It was an OK place. With Sterns up the road past the British Library, it was a good location for me.

MG

MG

Must have been the student scarf that did it :lol:

MG

Must have been the student scarf that did it :lol:

I think I must have looked TOO prosperous for a slapper :D

MG

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Yes, I saw that. Seemed odd that they sold out of all sizes so quickly. I would have expected the smaller sizes to have hung around for a bit longer!

I wonder who has the copyright to the logo.

Anthony

When I looked there was just an XXL in white left. Ridiculous - I can only assume that it was listed earlier in the week and the word got round. 🤔

Edited by sidewinder

20 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

From this morning’s Trunk mailing: ‘I've had a load of emails about Mole Jazz tees as they sold out fast - more will therefore be made in 2023. So, something to look forward to already. 

Anthony

London

Yeah, saw that. We are in with a chance then !

To be honest, I prefer their sweatshirts and have a nice one on its way in the post.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...