Bill Evans and Tony Bennett

Peter Johnson

I love the album, and I usually dislike singer/piano recordings. Last year I heard "Waltz for Debbie" for the umpteenth time on the radio as I was driving to the school where I was giving piano lessons. It was a dull fall day, like today, and Gene Lee's lyrics really struck me. Maybe because of my young daughter, and thinking about her growing up. But hearing Bennett’s phrasing in the last verse made my eyes well up. He really embodied the spirit of that tune.

I love the album, and I usually dislike singer/piano recordings. Last year I heard "Waltz for Debbie" for the umpteenth time on the radio as I was driving to the school where I was giving piano lessons. It was a dull fall day, like today, and Gene Lee's lyrics really struck me. Maybe because of my young daughter, and thinking about her growing up. But hearing Bennett’s phrasing in the last verse made my eyes well up. He really embodied the spirit of that tune.

There's a beautful version of that by Johnny Hartman on his album "The Voice That Is"

I've got 3 cuts from it on a Tony Bennet compilation. I love Some Other Time-- but then I've never heard a version of that song I didn't like. (Do you know they don't sing it in the film version of On the Town!!-- just like they don't sing My Ship in the film of Lady in the Dark!!) However my favorite song in the box is Bennet's singing Lost in the Stars backed by the Basie band.