More Brit-Jazz Vocalion Reissues Coming Up

sidewinder

Just seen on AAJ that there's another tranche of rare British Jazz reissues imminent from Vocalion. Details as follows:

" More British Jazz Reissues From Vocalion:

*Shake Keane - "That's The Noise" (Ex Ace Of Clubs 1967)

*Michael Gibbs,Stan Tracey,Ian Carr et al - "Will Power" 2 CDs (Ex Argo 1974)

*Michael Garrick -"October Woman" (Includes Anthem/Wedding Hymn EP) - (Ex Argo - '65)

*Johnny Almond Music Machine - "Patent Pending" - (Ex Deram - 1969)

Due on the 21 October 2005 ("not long to wait")"

Apparently there will also be more to come early in 2006. Big :tup to Dutton Vocalion for making these available.

'Will Power' is a real rarity from 1974 issued originally as a 2LP set - Features the likes of Stan Tracey and Ian Carr in a tribute to the bard. Don't remember seeing a copy of this even when it came out so must be like gold-dust.

Looks like the Garrick 'October Woman' will also include tracks from the rare liturgical 'Anthem' EP recorded with church organ and with Keane and Harriott in the front line.

Never heard the Keane 'That's the Noise' ( :excited: )

and haven't a clue who the 'Johnny Almond Music Machine' are ( :huh: ).

Edited by sidewinder

Johnny Almond Music Machine is likely:

Johnny Almond (sax), Jimmy Crawford(g), Jon Mark(g), Roger Sutton(b), Alan White(ds)

1. Patent Pending: Ensingle

2. Before Dawn

3. VooDoo

4. Forest

5. Solar Level

6. To R.K.

7. Reversed For Two Horns 8. Pequeno

8. Nova

9. Tales Of Junior

Edited by jazzbo

Guest akanalog

i have seen a jap reissue of an album by this almond fella in virgin.

johnny almond music machine..yeah. worth checking out? probably a different album.

disappointing that this batch doesn't have any stuff in the vein of the henry lowther of the westbrook from last time. that is the stuff i like. or does it? i don't know these albums listed here.

will we ever see a CD reissue of westbrook's "citadel/room 351" or whatever it is called?

Guest akanalog

since someone on the board is calling me racist or ignorant for writing "jap" let me point out i meant no offense and meant it as "jap." as in not writing out the whole word japanese.

i will do this rather than just editing my post.

since someone on the board is calling me racist or ignorant for writing "jap" let me point out i meant no offense and meant it as "jap." as in not writing out the whole word japanese.

i will do this rather than just editing my post.

Horse shit!

I sent a pm stating: You used this term in the More Brit-Jazz Vocalion Reissues Coming Up, 'Will Power' etc.... thread. Most folks of Japanese heritage react to this as a number of Americans react to nigger.

This term is a "hold over" from WWII.

Guest akanalog

chuck i am sorry i offended you.

i dont understand really what you are getting at.

i know that is an offensive term.

this is getting pretty stupid.

i wrote jap reissue when mentioning a johnny almond disc i saw rather than write japanese because i was too lazy to write out "japanese". i wasn't using it as derogatory slang for people of japanese heritage though i guess could also be offending any women of jewish heritage as well. i think i have written brit reissue as well rather than write british in other cases.

if i had added a period as i guess i should have i am sure you would not be giving me a hard time.

or maybe you would as you seem to enjoy giving me a hard time.

either way...

sorry for offending you and anyone else.

i will not use abbreviations any more lest anyone think i am racist or ignorant.

akanalog - I don't think any of these reissues is in the Lowther or Westbrook vein of last time. The 'Will Power' album usually comes under Neil Ardley's name and that is the one I will be pouncing on when these hit the shops. If you like Neil Ardley I guess this one would be essential. I suspect that the Shake Keane will be more than worth checking out. It was originally on 'Ace of Clubs', which was a pretty obscure British budget label.

Anyway - back to further discussion of Vocalion UK jazz reissues...

Edited by sidewinder

Is the Ace of CLubs label the same which reissued British Decca classical music? If so I believe it was just a Decca subsidary which reissues at a lower price point. So was this LP originally on Decca or am I completely wrong...... To add to the praise of Vocalion. Suberb reissues with great sound. Kuddo's to Michael Dutton who owns Dutton/Vocalion.

• 2 weeks later...

What's this one?

Leonard Feather presents Jazz from Two Sides

(1959)

Vic Lewis & His Jazz Group

Pennsylvania Turnpike (Lewis)

Stanhope Place (Lewis)

Les Condon (trumpet);

George Chisholm (trombone);

Roy East (alto sax);

Ronnie Scott (tenor sax);

Ronnie Ross (baritone sax);

Alan Branscombe (piano);

Bill Sutcliffe (bass);

Dave Pearson (drums)

Two tracks only!?

tooter?

What's this one?

Leonard Feather presents Jazz from Two Sides

(1959)

Vic Lewis & His Jazz Group

Pennsylvania Turnpike (Lewis)

Stanhope Place (Lewis)

Les Condon (trumpet);

George Chisholm (trombone);

Roy East (alto sax);

Ronnie Scott (tenor sax);

Ronnie Ross (baritone sax);

Alan Branscombe (piano);

Bill Sutcliffe (bass);

Dave Pearson (drums)

Two tracks only!?

tooter?

I think those are bonus tracks added to the end of the 'Vic Lewis & His Big Band: Tea Break, Back Again & Jazz from Two Sides" CD. Saw in the notes to a Tubby that Dave Pearson was the British Blakey!

So how is this Garrick "October Woman"?

Oops, didn't see how old this conversation was... never mind!

I'll keep a look-out for these when they hit the shops and report back. The Garrick and the William will be top of my list.

Having said that, I've still to spot a copy of 'Chitinous' ;)

I've said this before (not here so bear with me some of you folks) and I'll say it again, the Garrick is excellent and the 'Will Power' one is stupendous. By the way, Sidewinder is right 'Will Power' was a very, very rare album that I only ever saw on eBay once. Silly really because it's such a good album. Yes, well done Vocalion. Their reissues this year have been fantastic. My personal favourite so far (apart from 'Will Power') is Alan Skidmore's 'Once Upon a Time' but be warned its a slow grower, so after you've played it about four times it gets stuck in the memory bank!

Edited by RogerFarbey

Hi Roger ! Yes, the vinyl 'Will Power' is very rare. One copy of the Argo 2LP went on ebay from a US buyer last week for over $200. I paid £11.99 for the 2CD the other day - much more like it. A great little set - the lovely Neil Ardley tune on CD1 is very similar to the key theme on 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows', indeed the music as a whole is somewhat reminiscent of that recording. Highly recommended .

I have vague recollections of possibly seeing a copy of the vinyl 2LP in a deletion rack for a couple of pounds many, many years ago - not sure if I have mentioned this, might have been at Mole. Maybe I'm imagining it (I'm thinking I've seen this as the brown cover is sort of familiar). If true, I could almost weep....

The Alan Skidmore is a wonderful session that is easily my favourite of the first batch of Duttons. As I think was mentioned this month in 'Jazz Review', if it had come out at the time on Blue Note, it would have caused quite a stir on the US scene. One of the very best UK late 60s/early 70s sessions, I think.

Edited by sidewinder

Guest akanalog

i don't like the skidmore. i find some of the compositions annoying-the one that speeds up and slows down, for one. and the oxley one...

i did find the lowther and the cameron in the last batch to be very eye-opening and are among my favorite jazz albums right now.

i am listening to will power right now. some of it doesn't grab me, but i really like the ian carr parts. maybe the rest of it will grow on me since this is my second listen.

i think tony levin is my favorite of this era brit drummers (or maybe second behind john webb).

i listened to nucleus' labyrinth today, which he is on. roy babbington's wah'ed bass sounds incredible on labyrinth too. i love that album.

Guest akanalog

ok update-will power is growing on me.

the neil ardley part is a little slow...sounds like my least favorite part of kaleidoscope of rainbows with vocals added.

but the carr part is so good. it is nice to hear the song heyday with lyrics. they go well.

That Ardley track on CD1 of 'Will Power' features some nice duet vocals by Norma Winstone and Pepi Lemer. If my memory is right they were teamed up quite a bit in the 1970s along with Maggie Nichols. Recall hearing Pepi Lemer featured quite a bit back in the 1970s on BBC Radio live jazz sessions (I think she was/is married to pianist Pete Lemer).

• 2 weeks later...

I think that first Skid is kinda weak, too - sort of trying to be like Mexican Green but not hitting the mark. The Philips is much better, in my opinion. When given the chance, the dude takes it there, but he just seemed lackluster when setting up his own bands half the time.

I found with the Skidmore that you have to play it several times through before it clicks into place (unlike TCB which hits you straight away). I found 'Once Upon a Time' very good indeed but you have to work at it - but the work pays off. 'Will Power' is great but still have to play 'October Woman' all the way through but at first play is great. Reminds me of Trevor Tomkins adage, 'so many drummers, so little time.