Can't get sound out of my computer speakers

I had this happen once before, when I stupidly turned the sound down not on the speaker, but on the Media player itself. So, I thought I would find that was the problem this time, but Media Player, Quicktime, Realaudio are all set right, not muted or anything. We know power is getting to the speakers, and Dad played a radio though the secondary speaker. I can record a cd and play it elsewhere, so what can the problem be icon14.gif

Edited by BERIGAN

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Open volume controls". Check if something is muted or the volume is turned down.

And also check if the signal cable of the speakers is connected to the Line Out of the sound card.

Claude, thanks for the suggestions! I forgot to mention I swapped cables to see if that might be the problem, it wasn't. I made sure it was plugged in the the right port as well. I just checked the Volume controls, device and speaker settings are right in the middle, and nothing is muted. Never messed with sound cards, I guess it could go bad? (Need Johnny's shrugging smilie)

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 weeks later...

Open up your Control Panel and click on Sounds.  Make sure that your soundcard is set to the default playback device.

If that doesn't work, try re-installing the drivers.  Soundcards don't really go bad.  It is probably just an issue with Windows not talking to it.

Thanks for the info Jim!

I checked everything under Sounds and audio devices...can't find anything muted, speakers are set to desktop stereo speakers. SOUNDMAX digital Audio is the only choice under default device.

Did a search for drivers...didn't see anything that said audio drivers. :blush:

I have rarely had to mess with drivers, maybe once or twice for the printer, or networking...Any other suggestions???? :wacko:

• 5 years later...

and nearly 6 years later, same issue, different computer. Last time, I did put in a new sound card, and everything was Kosher again.

Everything claims to be working properly, testing speakers, etc...but I can't get sound even with my headphones. I have Vista, but haven't had one issue in all the years I've had Vista(that I can recall)

Any thoughts other than the card???? :shrug[1]:

I had a similar problem - turned I had deleted some essential system files when I deleted Windows Media Player. I re-installed the latest version, and it all works again. Sometimes different parallel working sound or burn software can cause such problems.

Edited by mikeweil

I had a strange audio problem with my PC last week. I installed a new monitor and to get the best picture, I hooked it up with an HDMI cable. Then I lost my audio. Initially, I didn't make the connection that new monitor=no audio. Why should I? There were no speakers in the monitor, right? Well, it turns out that Windows 7 installed an HDMI driver that includes an audio driver (because HDMI *can* carry audio) and that audio driver took control of my sound card. Weirdest thing. I had to disable the HDMI audio driver to get my speakers to work again.