Gambit Records

Bill B

Donald Byrd Sextet

Donald Byrd (tp) Bernard McKinney (euph) Yusef Lateef (ts) Barry Harris (p) Alvin Jackson (b) Frank Grans (d)

Detroit, MI, August 23, 1955

Parisian Thoroughfare Transition TRLP 5

Yusef -

Shaw 'Nuff -

Torsion Level -

Woody'n You -

Dancing In The Dark -

Blues -

Donald Byrd - Byrd Jazz (Transition TRLP 5)

That's the one that was put out on CD by Delmark:

61279.jpg

(cover of the 1991 CD)

Is it good? I have the Byrd Transition 2CD set on BN and it's pretty good, but I never came around getting this one - of course here I'd go with the Delmark, as the bonus cuts are of no interest to me and Gambit generally has too many items in their catalogue that float freely among collectors... (I think I have not one Gambit disc so far)

• 1 month later...

Posted the same in one of the Lonehill threads, and email from Jazz Loft, who seem to be unloading their illegal imports...

Classic Jazz Import Blowout!!

40-50% OFF THESE CLASSIC JAZZ IMPORTS.

Quanties are limited. First come first serve. Order as many as you like!

THESE LABELS ARE ON SALE UNTIL SOLD OUT! QUANTITIES LIMITED TO STOCK ON HAND...

Lonehill Jazz

Clifford Brown, Art Pepper, Eric Dolphy, Buddy DeFranco, Bill Evans, Art Farmer, Lee Morgan, Gerry Mulligan, Clark Terry, Sarah Vauhan and more!

Gambit

Cecil Taylor, Chet Baker, Art Blakey, Betty Carter, Donald Byrd, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and more!

Definitive

Louis Armstrong, Mildred Bailey, Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan, Ruby Braff, Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Earl Hines, Johnny Hodges and more!

Jazz Factory

Serge Charloff, Rosemary Clooney, Miles Davis, Lou Donaldson, Art Pepper and more!

Was $14.99-29.99

Now $7.99-14.99!

Interestingly, NO Gambit titles are currently available on eMusic - it looks like they've all been pulled. Coupled with Adam's post, I wonder whether legal action has been initiated against them.

They're still online in the European eMusic store.

• 4 years later...

eMusic added some new Gambit titles this week, including several by Bill Evans.

I don't know for certain, but Monk's Complete Live at the Five Spot 1958 appears to be Blue Note's Live at the Five Spot with Nutty and Ruby My Dear added from TM with John Coltrane.

I just found this on Amazon but can't tell if it's the same label. I downloaded the 2 cuts not on the Blue Note. The sound sucks, but hey it's

Coltrane and Monk!

eMusic added some new Gambit titles this week, including several by Bill Evans.

I don't know for certain, but Monk's Complete Live at the Five Spot 1958 appears to be Blue Note's Live at the Five Spot with Nutty and Ruby My Dear added from TM with John Coltrane.

I just found this on Amazon but can't tell if it's the same label. I downloaded the 2 cuts not on the Blue Note. The sound sucks, but hey it's

Coltrane and Monk!

Thanks Medjuck but that Live at the Five Spot is a notoriously poorly recorded date... not sure I want to judge Gambit based on that.

• 2 years later...

Is the Enlightenment label Fresh Sound/Lonehill also? Saw some Bill Evans 1956-62 set with his first (12?) albums that looked weird on Amazon.

Don't think so. They aren't up to the standards of the Fresh Sound crew - don't even give personnel info, let alone meaningful context, etc. of the recordings. They feel UK to me, basically a sub- "Real Gone Jazz" with (even) lower production values.