Favorite performances of 'Take the A Train'

Can't beat the original, though the version on "Ellington Uptown" kicks my ass too.

One of the rules I've set for myself after years of club-hopping in Kansas City: There's no point sticking around after somebody calls " 'A' Train."

I heard that. Most people lose sight of the fact that it's actually an orchestral composition, not just a tune for blowing. It's a good blowing vehicle, but not a tireless one...

Can't beat the original, though the version on "Ellington Uptown" kicks my ass too.

One of the rules I've set for myself after years of club-hopping in Kansas City: There's no point sticking around after somebody calls " 'A' Train."

I heard that. Most people lose sight of the fact that it's actually an orchestral composition, not just a tune for blowing. It's a good blowing vehicle, but not a tireless one...

Quartet Out does a damn fine version!

Quartet Out does a damn fine version!

Yeah, but you notice we always save it for the end of a set and we always go out and visit with friends and/or fans and/or anybody else immediately afterwards...

Not "the" favorite, but certainly "a" favorite:

f16704q3334.jpg

Jimmy Rowles - Plays Duke Ellington And Billy Strayhorn - Columbia

Two excellent versions, indeed.

My favorite live version was part of a Benny Carter gig at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA, at least 15 years ago. Alan Dawson was the drummer, and he played an entire chorus as a drum solo, never losing the thread of the tune the entire time. In fact, he kept the audience on the edge of their seats. My favorite drum solo ever (in memory, at least).