I'm going to interview Anita O'Day!

ghost of miles

Congratulations....

I did a phone interview with Anita many years ago. When I called her, she asked me to call back, because she had just poured a martini and she didn't want it to go bad. I called her back and got a good interview.

Edited by Christiern

Those of you who have performed interviews in the past, I'm going to be joining the interview staff at a jazz website, and I'm a little nervous never having done it before. I actually passed up Nicholas Payton because I didn't feel ready. Any tips you guys can offer would be appreciated. I just don't want to ask the same old questions.

Any tips you guys can offer would be appreciated. I just don't want to ask the same old questions.

On a TV interview that was going slow, I asked Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson if they had a roach problem at their house--it generated into a lively, loose, informative interview. :g

My advice: do thorough research and come up with unexpected questions (preferably related to the subject(s)). Sometime dragging out a good name or incident from their past will trigger them. Mainly, the people you are interviewing should know that you know more than the average person. I have had my share of being interviewed, and the usual questions get routine ressponses from me--like, "how did Bessie really die? Throw me a curve and I'm off (in a positive way).

An important thing I learned in interviewing Eddie Higgins is that open-ended questions are best. Let the subject answer the way he wants to, let him feel that he is in some control over the interview. Also, don't pose questions in which you provide the answer, as in "X happened-was that because of Y?" The biggest thing is to get the subject to talk and the best way you can do that is to ask open-ended questions.

And another thing I learned was that a good closing question is, "Is there anything you'd like to talk about that I didn't ask about?" In Higgins' case, he had been so accomodating that I probably was on the cusp of wearing out my welcome (I knew that when he asked, 'Is that it?") but I went ahead and asked that final question and it netted me one of the nicest stories and quotes of the entire 2.5 hour interview.

And another thing I learned was that a good closing question is, "Is there anything you'd like to talk about that I didn't ask about?"

Excellent advice.

Yes, I always end my interviews with this question. (Great minds and all that, right, Dan? ;) ) I also agree with the comments about thorough research and finding or framing questions that, by virtue of being somewhat fresh, are more likely to generate thoughtful responses. Some artists and writers who are frequently interviewed may have (understandably) some pre-programmed responses to certain inquiries, simply because they've been asked so many times about incident X or person Y.

The toughest interview I've had so far was Odetta. It was a telephone interview, and we got off to a rocky start because she thought I was a print reporter and was asking her questions that were already answered in her press release... but I simply wanted her to talk a little bit about her childhood, as opposed to me reading some info off a sheet. First she became irate, then startled when she found out I was a radio interviewer--"Are we on the air?" she asked. I assured her that we weren't, and we ended up having a really good interview. But man, I was on edge for a few moments there! She's tough!

What Dan Gould said was good.

Also, read through your questions, and make sure none can be answered by a simple "yes" or "no."

And LISTEN to their answers. Don't be afraid to ask follow-up questions based on their answers that are not on your question list. People will tell half a story and go off on a tangent, and forget to finish the story. Give a gentle reminder to bring them back.

Also, be sure to tell her exactly what it is for, send her a reminder a week before it airs, and SEND HER A COPY. You'd be amazed how frequently I'll arrange an interview for a show, and the subject will say "I did an interview for [CNN, PBS, A&E, etc) and I never got a copy." It's only polite.

Edited by Adam

I'm surprised to hear that Odetta gave you a hard time. I have known her for over 40 years--she's really a very warm person.

Chris,

She was really warm--I think it was just that I was her third interview of four in one hour, and she thought I was a print reporter asking her to confirm her press release or something. After the first minute it went swimmingly.