Philadelphia concerts

alankin

Sooooo....I have no life anymore cuz of the music store gig....with rental season coming up I'll have less of a life.

Howsabout us Philly BB members plan a couple nights to catch a performance or two each month or so? We'll go, sip some beers, talk about life and hear some good music.

I'll be at Ortlieb's tonight checking out Tim Warfield w/ Mickey Roker.

I'm all over the Organissimo performance in October :excited:

Peace

Bill

Edited by Templejazz

Well, we're back to organissimo gig (singular) in October, for the moment. It turns out that the Blues Alley gig on October 11th was firmed up a few hours before I set up the Chris' gig, but somebody apparently forgot to tell me about it. :blush: However, I may be able to reschedule Chris' for October 4th, and I'm still working on other possibilities for October (and January). I'll keep you posted.

For the moment, though, the firm organissimo Philly dates are October 12th at Tritone, and January 19th at Art After Five. :tup

Edited by Ron S

Seraphic Light: Celebrating John Coltrane’s 80th Birthday

http://ihousephilly.org/SeraphicLight.htm

Seraphic Light honors the astonishing oeuvre and 80 th birthday of John Coltrane. Philadelphia’s adopted son, Coltrane was arguably the most influential musician in modern jazz, both technically and spiritually. Recording for the first time under Dizzy Gillespie, Coltrane gained recognition as a member of Miles Davis’ remarkable quintet, recording the seminal Kind of Blue (Columbia Records). A brief period with Thelonious Monk in 1957 effectively signaled the start of Coltrane’s career as a leader; and, over the next ten years his quartet – with McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones – brought about a seismic shift in jazz harmony, making use of every tonal distortion and timbral effect. Coltrane’s subsequent ensembles – often featuring Eric Dolphy, Rashied Ali, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane, among others – released and performed some of the most radical and exploratory music in jazz. Pivotal albums such as A Love Supreme, Giant Steps, and Interstellar Space remain legendary accomplishments. This series commemorates and continues Coltrane’s legacy through unique performances featuring musicians who continue to explore and celebrate the outer boundaries of jazz and improvisation. We invite you to join us as we pay tribute to John Coltrane.

Saturday, October 14 at 8pm

Philadelphia Four – World Premiere performance

with Dave Burrell, piano; Reggie Workman, bass; Muhammad Ali, drums; Rashied Ali, drums

Saturday, November 4 at 8pm

Cecil Taylor

Friday, December 8 at 8pm

Spiritual Unity – Philadelphia Premiere performance

with Marc Ribot, guitar; Roy Campbell, trumpet; Henry Grimes, bass; Chad Taylor, drums

Friday, January 12 at 8pm

David S. Ware Unit – World Premiere performance

with David S. Ware, tenor saxophone; Mat Maneri, viola/violin; Keith Witty, double-bass; Whit Dickey, drums

Saturday, February 10 at 8pm

Rova: Orkestrova =Electric Ascension – East Coast Premiere performance

with Rova Saxophone Quartet – Bruce Ackley, soprano saxophone; Steve Adams, alto saxophone; Larry Ochs, tenor saxophone; Jon Raskin, baritone saxophone; and Nels Cline, electric guitar; Jenny Sheinmann, violin, Carla Kihlstedt, violin/efx; Andrea Perkins, keyboard/electronics; Trevor Dunn, electric bass; Andrew Cyrille, drums; and others TBD

:party::party::party::party::party:

Edited by Chalupa

IF you're looking for something to do this Saturday.... And the price is right too! :D:D

Saturday, 2 September 2006

John Coltrane Jazz Festival

— "Giant Steps over Philly" sponsored by the TraneStop Resource Institute

— Awbury Arboretum, 800 E Washington Ln, Philadelphia

Sept 2 (Sat) — 1-8:30 pm — Free

The John Coltrane Jazz Stage, Awbury Arboretum Meadows, 800 E Washington Ln (next to Washington Lane R7 Septa train station near Chew Ave), Philadelphia

— 2:00-3:15pm — Search for the New Land Quintet: A Tribute to Lee Morgan

Duane Eubanks (trumpet), Jymie Merritt (bass), Ronnie Burrage (drums), Sid Simmons (piano), Stanley Wilson (tenor sax)

— 3:45-5:00pm — Tenor Love: A Tribute to John Coltrane

Charles Bowen (tenor sax), Don Braden (tenor sax), Tyrone Brown (bass), Sid Simmons (piano), Byron Landham (drums) with Ella Gahnt (vocals)

— 5:15-6:30pm — Philadelphia Brigade Quintet: A Philadelphia Artists Homecoming Celebration

Willie Williams (tenor sax), Robin Eubanks (trombone), Eugene Jackson (drums), Sumi Tonooka (piano), Don Moore (bass)

— 7:15-8:30pm — The Pioneers Quintet

Archie Shepp (tenor sax), James Spaulding (alto sax), Jymie Merritt (bass), Stanley Cowell (piano), Allen Nelson (drums)

The John Myers Blues Stage, Awbury Arboretum Haines Field, 6000 Arleigh St (at Haines St), Philadelphia

— 1:00-2:00pm — Fidla's Philly Blues Funk Experiment

Owen "Fidla" Brown (violin), Marc Johnson (keyboards), Robert Landham (alto sax), Leon Jordan (drums), Charles Baldwin (electric bass), Derrick Washington (violin), Ginger Smith-Jones (cello), Michael Ireland (violin & viola), Madeline Glen (violin), Jamillah Meekins (viola)

— 2:30-3:30pm — Phillies Intruders

Tony Strong (vocals), James Townes (bass), Michael Piper (drums), Lorado Williams (congas), Robert Summers (keyboards), David Hicks (guitar), Phil Davis (trombone), Xavier Fleming (saxophone), Jerome Burton (trumpet)

— 4:00-5:00pm — Lou Taylor Urban Collective

Louis Taylor (alto sax), with Doug Gribb, Pete Rudd, Dave Garden, Brian Williams, Henry McMillan, Lawrence Newton, Shirley Light, Darrel Burgess

— 5:30-7:00pm — The Billy Paul Revue

Another date just added to organissimo's Philly--er, um, I mean East Coast :P tour:

Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 8:00 PM, at North By Northwest, 7165 Germantown Ave.

One more recap of organissimo in Philly:

Wednesday, 10/4/06--Chris' Jazz Cafe

Tuesday, 10/10/06--North By Northwest

Thursday, 10/12/06--Tritone

Friday, 1/19/07--Art After Five, Philadelphia Art Museum

Come to all of these and show your support (or else be kicked off the Board :g ).

Another date just added to organissimo's Philly--er, um, I mean East Coast :P tour:

Come to all of these and show your support (or else be kicked off the Board :g ).

He's talking to ALL members, not just Philly-area ones.

:lol:

Ron's going to be soooo sick of organissimo by the end of all this. :P

Especially after we pull a Keith Moon on his house.

He's talking to ALL members, not just Philly-area ones.

:lol:

Ron's going to be soooo sick of organissimo by the end of all this. :P

Especially after we pull a Keith Moon on his house. Hey Ron, do you prefer glue or nails to put furniture on the ceiling?

• 3 weeks later...

Friday, September 22 | 1pm

SERAPHIC LIGHT / JOHN COLTRANE'S 80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION EVENT

Tower Records, Broad and Chestnut streets

FREE

Visit Tower Records tomorrow to see a special performance from pianist

DAVE BURRELL, celebrate Coltrane's 80th (September 23), see your

favorite WRTI personalities, and be the first to purchase a series

subscription to SERAPHIC LIGHT, the upcoming series at International House

featuring Mr. Burrell, Cecil Taylor, Reggie Workman, Nels Cline, Rova

Saxophone Quartet, Marc Ribot, Henry Grimes, David S. Ware, and many others.

Don't be late.

Advance on article on Grachan Moncur/Khan Jamal show .....

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-09-21/music2.shtml

After Grachan Moncur III answers the phone at his Newark, N.J., home, there is a long pause while he puts in his dentures, the end result of a series of torturous dental operations that kept the 69-year-old trombonist away from music for large portions of the 1990s.

"I really started to throw in the towel about five or six times. That's how bad it was," says Moncur, the frustration of having to relearn his instrument evident in his voice. "I had to start totally from the beginning just to get my sound back. For me to be able to control it and to be able to do what I knew I was supposed to do with that sucker and to sustain that shit, it took so goddamn long, I swear to god, I couldn't believe it. And I wasn't gonna do nothing until I could do that."

On Monday, Moncur continues his long association with Philly vibraphonist Khan Jamal in a trio show at Penn (completed by Sun Ra Arkestra tenorist Yahya Abdul-Majid). Given the unconventional lineup, this set will likely venture further out than Moncur's quintet performance at New York's Vision Festival this past June, which also included Jamal. That show, which featured renditions of Miles Davis' "So What" and Wayne Shorter's "Footprints," was surprisingly traditional given Moncur's history with the jazz avant-garde and the context of the experimental festival.

But Moncur came to free jazz only after spending a considerable amount of time playing hard bop, including a famed stint with Jackie McLean. His father was a bassist with the Savoy Sultans, house band of the legendary Harlem nightclub, and gave Moncur his first trombone after his initial gift, a cello, didn't hold the youngster's attention.

"I got hooked on the music because I heard a record by Lester Young when I was a kid, and that shit just fucked my mind up," Moncur recalls. Once he picked up the trombone, his father couldn't get him to stop practicing. He latched onto the music of J.J. Johnson, who remained his major influence until many years later, when he first began hearing the music of the avant-garde.

"There was a lot of controversy about it," Moncur says of the new music. "I said, 'Oh, wait a minute, man, this stuff is interesting, and there's no other trombone player exploring it, so I might as well extend myself towards it.' I didn't cut my other roots off, I didn't alienate myself from anything, I just wanted to be able to deal with any type of musical situation that I liked."

That musical open-mindedness continues, to the extent that Moncur expresses the desire to assemble and train a group of young people into "the hippest marching band," which would perform traditional Sousa marches alongside the trombonist's own compositions. Despite his recent struggles, he retains the desire to explore new avenues. "I'm glad I took the pains, and when you get as old as me and you still have the enthusiasm, that's a blessing right there."

Grachan Moncur III plays Mon., Sept. 25, 8 p.m., free, Houston Hall, 3417 Spruce St., www.arsnovaworkshop.com.

Email from Jamaaladeen...

Got the taste for a great cup of gourmet coffee or tea and a wonderful

assortment of delicious cakes and pastries, join Jamaaladeen This

evening at the Latte Lounge. He will be doing something a little different this Thursday evening there. He will be hosting an event called "MY FAVORITE THINGS" He will be sharing his favorite rare grooves on CD and Records that inspired him with the public at The Latte Lounge 816 North 4th Street Philadelphia, PA 19123, 215-629-9808.

7:00 P.M. until. From Jazz to Funk to Groovy, Groovy. Come out and be inspired. He might just bring his Bass guitar and serenade you with an Intergalactic Bass Solo. Check out Jamaaladeen's Myspace page at

http://www.myspace.com/jamaaladeen

Edited by Chalupa

• 1 month later...

This is gonna be fun... Roscoe Mitchell returns to Philly!

SoundExchange_2007

Friday, April 20 | 8pm

Horns of Hathor featuring Roscoe Mitchell and Samir Chatterjee

with

Horns of Hathor:

Pauline Oliveros, electronics/accordian

Ione, voice

and

Roscoe Mitchell, reeds

Samir Chatterjee, tabla

+Sunday, April 22

An Evening of New Works by Pauline Oliveros and guests

Details TBA

Event Description:

SoundExchange, presented by the American Composers Forum, Philadelphia Chapter, and Ars Nova Workshop is an annual event designed to bring leading composers representing the most influential and distinct stylistic schools to Philadelphia with the purpose of presenting new work and conducting artist workshops with local composers and performers. This year, SoundExchange has selected the composer/master improviser Pauline Oliveros and her Deep Listening Band to hand-select a Philadelphia-based ensemble as well as four local composers. This SoundExchange Ensemble will develop a specific practice through a series of workshops with Oliveros and her unique theories and approaches to performance.

SoundExchange programs feature the work of a master artist along side Philadelphia’s brightest emerging artists and seasoned musicians. Performing together exclusively for this engagement will be a Philadelphia electro-acoustic ensemble that will present four new experimental compositions plus a piece by Pauline Oliveros.

Since the 1960's Pauline Oliveros (b. 1932) has influenced American music profoundly through her work with improvisation, meditation, electronic music, myth and ritual. She has been celebrated worldwide, and many credit her as the founder of present day meditative music. One of the original members of the Tape Music Center at Mills College (along with Morton Subotnick andTerry Riley), her outstanding body of work includes collaborations with Anthony Braxton, Sonic Youth, Roscoe Mitchell and Alvin Curran, among many others.

Pauline Oliveros' life as a composer, performer and humanitarian is about opening her own and others' sensibilities to the many facets of sound. All of Oliveros' work emphasizes musicianship, attention strategies, and improvisational skills. She has been celebrated worldwide. During the 1960's John Rockwell named her work Bye Bye Butterfly as one of the most significant of that decade. In the 70's she represented the U.S. at the World's Fair in Osaka, Japan; during the 80's she was honored with a retrospective at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C.

The 1990's began with a letter of distinction from the American Music Center presented at Lincoln Center in New York. In 2000, the 50th anniversary of her work was celebrated with the commissioning and performance of her Lunar Opera: Deep Listening For_tunes. Oliveros’ work is available on numerous recordings produced by companies internationally. John Cage said of Oliveros, "Through Pauline Oliveros and Deep Listening I finally know what harmony is…It's about the pleasure of making music."

Really! :rolleyes: And I'm sure most of those Penn students have absolutely no idea what incredible music is being played regularly on and right next to their campus. ( I can say that having been one decades ago. :P )

I was one, too, Wharton '76. Saw some amazing music at the Empty Foxhole Cafe in the basement of St. Mary's church on campus back in that era (mostly right after I graduated). Cecil Taylor, Clifford Jordan, Jimmy Heath, Richie Cole with Eddie Jefferson, Archie Shepp, Richard Davis, and more that I can't remember at this point. Leo Gadsen also had a great series at the Ethical Society downtown (10-15 blocks away) in those days - Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers. Juju, Jackie McLean, George Adams & Hannibal Marvin Peterson, and others I can't remember. He used really good local talent like Monette Sudler and Sumi Tanooka as opening acts. At both venues, admission was incredibly low, like $5 or something. Good days (music-wise, that is - I have no desire to relive them otherwise).

Really! :rolleyes: And I'm sure most of those Penn students have absolutely no idea what incredible music is being played regularly on and right next to their campus. ( I can say that having been one decades ago. :P )

I was one, too, Wharton '76.

I'd forgotten that--Wharton '77 here. We probably passed each other a lot on campus. :rolleyes: