Philadelphia concerts

alankin

• 1 month later...

Hey isn't it about time for Organissimo to play Philly???

3 shows in August that look promising are

Bobby Zankel Thursday 8/2 at Tritone

NEGATIVLAND - It's All In Your Head FM @ International House Friday 8/3

and...

AN EVENING WITH THE JENNY SCHEINMAN QUARTET

with

JENNY SCHEINMAN, violin

NELS CLINE, el. guitar

TODD SICKAFOOSE, double-bass

JIM BLACK, drums

@ the IH Tuesday 8/7

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday, September 6 | 8pm

Matthew Shipp Trio

with

Matthew Shipp, piano

Joe Morris, double-bass

Whit Dickey, drums

Rose Recital Hall

Fisher-Bennett Hall

4th Floor

University of Pennsylvania

34th and Walnut streets (southeast corner)

$12 General Admission

Thursday, September 13 | 8pm

Ellery Eskelin, tenor saxophone

Vincent Courtois, cello

Sylvie Courvoisier, piano

Rose Recital Hall

Fisher-Bennett Hall

4th Floor

$12 General Admission

Thursday, September 20 | 8pm

Bern Nix Trio

with

Bern Nix, el. guitar

Francios Grillot, bass

Jackson Krall, drums

+

Charlie Ellerbee Trio

with

Charlie Ellerbee, el. guitar

others to be announced

The Rotunda

4014 Walnut Street

Free Admission

Sunday, September 23 | 4pm

Bobby Zankel and the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound

featuring special guests Odean Pope and Maugawane Mahoele

performing the premiere of

“A Force for Good”

Warriors of the Wonderful Sound

with

Dan Peterson, reeds

Elliot Levin, tenor saxophone/flute

Rick Iannacone, el. guitar

Patrick Hughes, trumpet

Dylan Taylor, double-bass

Bryan Rogers, tenor saxophone

Tom Lawton, piano

Larry Toft, trombone

Dan Scofield, alto saxophone

Bart Miltenberger, trumpet

Craig McIver, drums

Adam Hershberger

Dan Blacksberg, trombone

Church of the Advocate

18th and Diamond Street

Saturday, October 6 | 8pm

Marilyn Crispell, piano

Mark Helias, double-bass

Andrew Cyrille, drums

+

Paul Lytton, percussion/electronics

Nate Wooley, trumpet

Rose Recital Hall

Fisher-Bennett Hall

4th Floor

$20 General Admission

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday, September 6 | 8pm

Matthew Shipp Trio

with

Matthew Shipp, piano

Joe Morris, double-bass

Whit Dickey, drums

Rose Recital Hall

Fisher-Bennett Hall

4th Floor

$12 General Admission

Sunday, September 23 | 4pm

Bobby Zankel and the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound

featuring special guests Odean Pope and Maugawane Mahoele

performing the premiere of

“A Force for Good”

Warriors of the Wonderful Sound

with

Dan Peterson, reeds

Elliot Levin, tenor saxophone/flute

Rick Iannacone, el. guitar

Patrick Hughes, trumpet

Dylan Taylor, double-bass

Bryan Rogers, tenor saxophone

Tom Lawton, piano

Larry Toft, trombone

Dan Scofield, alto saxophone

Bart Miltenberger, trumpet

Craig McIver, drums

Adam Hershberger

Dan Blacksberg, trombone

Church of the Advocate

18th and Diamond Street

Saturday, October 6 | 8pm

Marilyn Crispell, piano

Mark Helias, double-bass

Andrew Cyrille, drums

+

Paul Lytton, percussion/electronics

Nate Wooley, trumpet

Rose Recital Hall

Fisher-Bennett Hall

4th Floor

$20 General Admission

I'm definitely interested in the Shipp and the Crispell, though I'm not sure how Mrs. Felser will do with either of those. The Zankel would be good, but I have a healthy fear of 18th and Diamond St. Anyone else from Phillyissimo interested in attending any of these? Any advice on how to safely park your car to attend the Zankel? I don't want to be paranoid, but I also don't want to be naive. That's arguably the worst section of Philadelphia there, and I'm a suburbs guy.

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday, September 23 | 8pm

From Between Trio

with

Jack Wright, alto/soprano saxophones

Michel Doneda, soprano/sopranino saxophones

Tatsuya Nakatani, percussion

Philadelphia Art Alliance

251 S. 18th Street

$10 General Admission

Sunday, October 14 | 8pm

Kidd Jordan Trio

with

Kidd Jordan, saxophones

Joel Futterman, piano/saxophone/Indian flute

Alvin Fielder, drums/percussion

Philadelphia Art Alliance

251 S. 18th Street

$12 General Admission

Monday, October 22 | 8pm

Burton Greene Trio

with

Burton Greene, piano

Ed Schuller, bass

George Schuller, drums

Bodek Lounge

Houston Hall

3417 Spruce Street

Free Admission

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/9916627.html

Posted on Sun, Sep. 23, 2007

Odean Pope carries jazz legacy gracefully

By David R. Adler

For The Inquirer

It's twilight, the evening before Labor Day, and the weather is ideal. Odean Pope's tenor sax resounds in the verdant hills of the Awbury Arboretum, the site of Germantown's second annual John Coltrane Jazz Festival.

Fronting his Saxophone Choir - a unique group consisting of nine saxophones, piano, bass and drums - Pope conducts and plays several signature pieces, attacking the breakneck tempo of "Prince Lasha," then easing into an unaccompanied solo on the dark, glowing ballad "Epitome." (These cuts and more can be heard on the brilliant 2006 release Locked and Loaded: Live at the Blue Note.)

Like the surrounding trees, and like Coltrane, Pope has roots deep in the Philadelphia ground. Born in 1938 in Ninety Six, S.C., he moved here at age 12 with his parents and older brother.

"It was a breath of fresh air," says Pope, who is performing today at a John Coltrane tribute at the Church of the Advocate in Philadelphia. "After being in the country, suddenly you're in one of the major cities. Bright lights, really inspiring. It changed my life drastically."

Pope's love of music, however, was kindled down South. Both of his parents were musicians in the local Baptist church. Starting on keyboard, then clarinet, Pope took up tenor sax after hearing Illinois Jacquet and Arnett Cobb with Lionel Hampton's band at the Earle Theatre (demolished in 1953).

Venturing into public with gigs in and around Philly, Pope soon gained an important mentor.

All modern saxophonists are in some sense Coltrane's heirs, but Pope was his friend. In the mid-'50s, the two transplanted Carolinians would practice together, often joined by the (obscure) piano innovator Hasaan Ibn-Ali.

"Coltrane got me my first major gig, with [organist] Jimmy Smith," says Pope, 68, seated at the kitchen table of his Mount Airy home, where he lives with Cis, his wife of nearly 40 years. His grown son and daughter live out of town.

Following Coltrane's example, Pope forged an identity as focused as it was multifaceted. He spent 1967 working with the legendary drummer Max Roach. In the early '70s, he co-led the early fusion band Catalyst, which recorded four albums. Then, in 1979, Roach invited Pope to join his innovative quartet - a gig that lasted until 2002.

Roach died on Aug. 15. Speaking two days before the New York funeral, Pope was mournful but full of gratitude: "There was so much information, traveling with this great man. When I reflect back on all those beautiful memories, I feel he's still here."

Pope's latest quartet album, To the Roach, is a poignant tribute to the last originator of bebop.

Mentored by the prophets of jazz modernism, Pope is now something of an icon himself, though he lives by Coltrane's humble creed.

"Trane made you realize you're only a small part of this whole thing here," Pope insists. But humility doesn't preclude what is arguably the most important task for a jazz musician: finding one's own voice, the quest of a lifetime.

"Every morning," Pope declares, "I get up and try to develop Odean Pope. It might mean taking one little fragment and drilling on it, over and over, until I can say, 'This sounds like me.' "

With a burly, low-register tenor sound, Pope works in the interstitial space between mainstream and avant-garde jazz, a space that Coltrane did much to create. He expounds radiant melodies, intricate themes and swinging tempos alongside more free-form concepts. In recent years, he has made a number of fine recordings for the audiophile CIMP label.

Pope's next CIMP recording, slated for early next year, will feature alto saxophonist Bobby Zankel, another Philly-based musician. But before that, today at the Church of the Advocate (18th and Diamond), Pope will appear as a guest soloist with Zankel's big band, the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound. The performance falls on Coltrane's birthday and commemorates the 40th year since his death in 1967.

"I'd like to bring out the great variety of things that Odean does so beautifully," Zankel says. "Odean is a great example of someone who defied categories. We used to play Latin gigs together. He could play behind [soul singer] Millie Jackson, or with organ groups, or with Catalyst, or [avant-garde drummer] Sunny Murray. It was no problem."

If a single sound captures Pope's musical identity, is is the Saxophone Choir, formed in 1977. Liken it to a big band and and Pope will correct you: "It's a choir. It derives from my hometown in South Carolina. When I came to Philly, I was always looking for something that could recapture all the bright moments I shared in the Baptist church."

The tenor sax alone reminded Pope of church vocals. Adding eight more saxes seemed natural.

Over the course of 15 years, the choir released three compelling, if unheralded, albums (The Saxophone Shop, The Ponderer, Epitome) on the Italian Soul Note label. Then, in December 2004, during a three-night stint at the Blue Note in New York, the choir secured some of its rightful glory.

Subsequently released on the Half Note label as Locked & Loaded, the Blue Note shows featured three guest saxophone soloists: James Carter, Joe Lovano, and Philadelphia-born Michael Brecker, who was soon diagnosed with the blood disease that ended his life in January. In an immortal performance, Pope and Brecker go head-to-head on the feverish track "Coltrane Time."

Stocked with such players as Elliot Levin, Julian Pressley and Terrence Brown, the choir has a sinewy musical texture, robust without being shrill. It can blow with gale force or supple grace, as Pope's music demands. "I want my work with the choir to be coordinated and very thought-out," Pope says. "Sometimes it takes me a whole year to write one tune."

In preparing Locked & Loaded for release, Pope and his producers got a surprise: Ornette Coleman, arguably the father of avant-garde jazz, asked to write the liner notes. In the '50s, when the controversial Coleman came to play Philadelphia's Showboat Lounge, a young Odean Pope was in the audience. In 2004, Coleman reciprocated, coming to hear Pope at the Blue Note.

In his inimitably cryptic notes, Coleman praises Pope's "non-resolutional ideas" and hears the choir's music as a "sound map" for "the installation of new territories."

There's enough material in the can for a second Blue Note volume. The choir sings on.

To hear Odean Pope and his Saxophone Choir, go to http://go.philly. com/albums

If You Go

Jazz in the Sanctuary: A John Coltrane Tribute is at 4 p.m. today at the Church of the Advocate, 18th and Diamond Streets. Featuring Bobby Zankel and the Warriors of the Wonderful Sound, with special guests Odean Pope, Ruth Naomi Floyd, and Maugawane Mahoele. Tickets are $15 at the door. Information: 215-232-4485.

• 3 months later...

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment...p_classics.html

Old-school drummer shares laughs, post-bebop classics

By David R. Adler

For The Inquirer

You can't accuse Mickey Roker of taking himself too seriously.

At Ortlieb's Jazzhaus on Saturday night, the septuagenarian drummer shared laughs with the front-table customers and waitstaff. Bassist Mike Boone introduced the band, and when he got to Roker, the drummer began to boo himself.

If Roker is the "dean" of Ortlieb's, as it is said, then Boone is the club's provost, one of the many talents Roker has groomed over the years. With Sid Simmons on piano and special guest Joe Ford on alto and soprano saxophones, they set out to explore classics of the post-bebop canon.

Born in Miami in 1932, Granville "Mickey" Roker came to Philadelphia at a young age and went on to become one of the city's jazz ambassadors, a valued sideman to the best in the music. Many great recordings bear his name, including Sonny Rollins on Impulse!, Herbie Hancock's Speak Like a Child, Dizzy Gillespie's Dizzy's Big 4, and more recently, Rev.elation by Joe Locke's Milt Jackson Tribute Band.

When he's not backing distinguished visitors (like Von Freeman at the Kimmel Center in 2005), Roker flies under the radar in Northern Liberties, sticking to his old-school guns.

On Saturday, the quartet picked songs as they went, and the familiar menu suggested little if any preparation time with Ford. No matter; the group found its stride, and Roker pushed the music forward with sportive determination.

The show opened at a moderate pace with the Johnny Burke

Jimmy Van Heusen staple "It Could Happen to You," and continued with Joe Henderson's Latin-tinged "Recordame."

Ford, a longtime associate of McCoy Tyner, rendered melodies with a casual flair and offered densely packed solos. His soprano on Jerome Kern's "All the Things You Are" and Freddie Hubbard's "Up Jumped Spring" was especially lucid. Frank Foster's "Simone," in a brisk 3/4 tempo, brought forth Simmons' most inspired statement, even if the out-of-tune piano did him a disservice.

It was the fast-swinging blues "Tenor Madness" that stretched the music to its limit. Roker thrashed at the kit as he traded solo choruses with Simmons and Ford. "I'm too old to play that hard!" he exclaimed afterward. Evidently not.

Joe Gloss (of organissimo), Rachel (of the Board), Leslie (of my house), and I are going to see the Maria Schneider Orchestra this Friday at Art After 5 at the Art Museum (5:00-8:45 PM). Any other Phillyissimo members planning to attend?

(And yes, this will be exactly one year after the triumphant debut by organissimo at the same venue. :excited: )

Joe Gloss (of organissimo), Rachel (of the Board), Leslie (of my house), and I are going to see the Maria Schneider Orchestra this Friday at Art After 5 at the Art Museum (5:00-8:45 PM). Any other Phillyissimo members planning to attend?

(And yes, this will be exactly one year after the triumphant debut by organissimo at the same venue. :excited: )

I'm gonna try to make it. Game time decision.

What's happening on Saturday? I'll be up for more music. :party:

Friday, 11 January 2008

Grant Stewart/Larry McKenna Organ Quartet

— Chris' Jazz Cafe, 1421 Sansom St, Philadelphia

Jan 11 (Fri) — 8 & 10 pm — $12

Jonathan Barnes Quartet

Jan 11 (Fri) — 11:30 pm - 2 am — $8

Saturday, 12 January 2008

Steve Lehman Quintet

— CD release for: On Meaning (Pi Recordings hear sound samples)

— Jonathan Finlayson (trumpet), Steve Lehman (alto saxophone), Chris Dingman (vibraphone), Matt Brewer (bass), Tyshawn Sorey (drums)

— International House, 3701 Chestnut St, Philadelphia

Jan 12 (Sat) — 8 pm — $12

The Antfarm Quartet

— CD release for "Dialogues Pt. 2"

— Paul Jost/Vocal and Harmonica Jim Ridl/Piano Tim Lekan/Bass Bob Shomo/Drums,

Jan 12 (Sat) — 8 & 10 pm — $15

Three Way Street

Jan 12 (Sat) — 11:30 pm - 2 am — $8

Richie Havens

Saturday 1/12/2008

7:30 pm EST World Cafe Live

Philadelphia, PA

Floor/Loge: $28 + $5 processing fee

Philadelphia Orchestra:

Bernstein Festival: West Side Story

http://www.kimmelcenter.org/cgi-bin/displa...2;event_id=2470

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Checking in from the shittiest hotel (emphasis on the "ho") I've ever stayed in--the Comfort Inn in beautiful suburban Toledo, Ohio. Four days into the trip east--and having a hell of a time finding labrador-friendly accomodations! Oh well. I'm only here for eight hours' sleep en route to New York tomorrow. Missed the pileup in Wisconsin by minutes because I pulled off the highway to get a bite to eat. Damn!

Anyway--yes, I do believe I'll be there! Can't wait to meet you guys!

Checking in from the shittiest hotel (emphasis on the "ho") I've ever stayed in--the Comfort Inn in beautiful suburban Toledo, Ohio. Four days into the trip east--and having a hell of a time finding labrador-friendly accomodations! Oh well. I'm only here for eight hours' sleep en route to New York tomorrow. Missed the pileup in Wisconsin by minutes because I pulled off the highway to get a bite to eat. Damn!

Anyway--yes, I do believe I'll be there! Can't wait to meet you guys!

Stop by Conn's house in Toledo for a quick game of chess before you leave!