Sam Rivers at Will's Pub in Orlando

LWayne

I will be in Orlando on business next Wednesday night. This date just happens to coincide with the scheduled weekly appearance throughout November of Sam Rivers & his Big Band at a Will's Pub in downtown Orlando. Admision is a ridiculously low $ 8 for a set.

Is this too good to be true? Has anyone been to Will's Pub and can send a report?

Thanks,

LWayne

:o

http://www.willspub.com/

I will be in Orlando on business next Wednesday night.  This date just happens to coincide with the scheduled weekly appearance throughout November of Sam Rivers & his Big Band at a Will's Pub in downtown Orlando.  Admision is a ridiculously low $ 8 for a set.

Is this too good to be true?  Has anyone been to Will's Pub and can send a report?

Thanks,

LWayne

:o

http://www.willspub.com/

Hi LWayne,

It's probably true... Sam lives in Orlando!

When I was going to the University of Florida in Gainesville, he used to come up and play fairly regularly at a place called the Covered Dish... cover was usually around $5 or so. And trust me when I tell you he didn't skimp on the playing... he'd often play two sets of about an hour-and-a-half each. Not bad for $5!!! :D

Have fun!

Cheers,

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

After a long flight into Orlando from Iowa, I was a little tired and re-thinking whether I should go see Sam Rivers at Will's Pub last Wednesday, Nov 16th. Boy, am I glad that I went!

Will's is your typical neighborhood bar with a lot of local atmosphere. Hardly the venue where you would expect a jazz legend to perform. With a cover of only $8, I was maybe expecting Sam to play a quick solo set. Instead, he brought his entire 16 piece RivBea Orchestra. Five saxes, four trumpets, three trombones, a tuba, electric bass, drummer and Sam, himself.

Sam described the set as a practice gig in preparation for taking the band on the road. Indeed, the band played many variations on the same theme; often starting and stopping mid-song at the behest of Mr. Rivers' direction.

Sam joked with the audience about the informality of the sessions offering that the cover would be much higher if were an actual performance in New York. No one asked for a refund. Great night and a chance to see a legend lead his own band.

LWayne