Blue Note "two-fers".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one I own is Back to the Gig. Being a big Booker Ervin AND Horace Parlan fan, it was a must own.

I've seen the Andrew Hill copy recently but I thought it was made up from material that has been released now. Isn't everything out of the vault now?

There's a copy of the Herbie Nichols album at a local store but I have the Mosaic box, so I didn't see any point in buying it.

There's a copy of the Herbie Nichols album at a local store but I have the Mosaic box, so I didn't see any point in buying it.

I got the Herbie Nichols album quite recently despite having the Mosaic set on CD. Worth the few pounds I paid, to have it on vinyl with all the tracks released by Alfred Lion gathered in one place. Vinyl nice and quiet but in reality not much better than the already good sounding Mosaic CDs.

Edited by Clunky

The only Blue Note twofer I own is BN-LA392-H2 Thad Jones/Mel Lewis in what Sidewinder called the "technicolor yawn" format. I bought it used long ago (early 1980s?) in the damp basement of Dobell's Jazz Record Shop, Charing Cross Road, London, staffed by the redoubtable Johnny Kendal, whom British jazzers of a certain age will recall!

The only Blue Note twofer I own is BN-LA392-H2 Thad Jones/Mel Lewis in what Sidewinder called the "technicolor yawn" format. I bought it used long ago (early 1980s?) in the damp basement of Dobell's Jazz Record Shop, Charing Cross Road, London, staffed by the redoubtable Johnny Kendal, whom British jazzers of a certain age will recall!

I think I hit the bins in that basement just the once. Shortly afterwards, it had closed down.

• 3 weeks later...

Not twofers, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I just picked up ten of these still sealed for $38 bucks. Seemed like a good deal. Any comments on this Best Of Blue Note Years Series? Apparently they were for Blue Note's 50th Anniversary, issued in 1989. Is this the full set of them? How is the sound?

post-11085-1225296335_thumb.jpg

So, this was an Ebay find. I received them short after and finally got around to listening this weekend. The records looked just as described, and I just broke the seal on them. Most of them look exactly as expected, but when I took one out of its Jimmy Smith LP jacket, it is in fact a completely different LP--Bobby Mcferrin-Spontaneous Inventions (BT-85110)!! This is definitely a let-down, as the album out of this set that I was most excited about was the Jimmy Smith best of Blue Note Years LP. I figured it'd be the only way to have "The Sermon" on decent vinyl because I've only seen scratched copies of other Blue Note legitimate issues. I realize there is no way the seller could have known because it was factory sealed and obviously a mistake from the plant itself. Has anyone else ever had this happen with a sealed LP that turned out to be something completely different? Hilarious but also tragic.

-Jay

Not twofers, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I just picked up ten of these still sealed for $38 bucks. Seemed like a good deal. Any comments on this Best Of Blue Note Years Series? Apparently they were for Blue Note's 50th Anniversary, issued in 1989. Is this the full set of them? How is the sound?

post-11085-1225296335_thumb.jpg

So, this was an Ebay find. I received them short after and finally got around to listening this weekend. The records looked just as described, and I just broke the seal on them. Most of them look exactly as expected, but when I took one out of its Jimmy Smith LP jacket, it is in fact a completely different LP--Bobby Mcferrin-Spontaneous Inventions (BT-85110)!! This is definitely a let-down, as the album out of this set that I was most excited about was the Jimmy Smith best of Blue Note Years LP. I figured it'd be the only way to have "The Sermon" on decent vinyl because I've only seen scratched copies of other Blue Note legitimate issues. I realize there is no way the seller could have known because it was factory sealed and obviously a mistake from the plant itself. Has anyone else ever had this happen with a sealed LP that turned out to be something completely different? Hilarious but also tragic.

-Jay

Lucky! The seller had another one! DON"T WORRY>>BE HAPPY indeed Bobby Mcferrin.

• 2 weeks later...

Are those old Blue Note "two-fers" particularly collectible? I have a few different ones in my collection, and nearly every one of them were cut outs.

Are any of them harder to come by? Just wondered.

As many have already said, this was an outstanding series. Fabulous music, a lot of it released for the first time then, and the pressings are very good too - no sonic problems at all.

For some reason, they are mainly easy to find on eBay and gemm.com, and they are not expensive, unlike the 50s and 60s LPs, yet they sound just as good. (All that fuss about the earlier albums is just a lot of hype, rather like today's "safety" regulations. Back in the 60s, they were just LPs, and we enjoyed them but didn't go bananas like the eBay bidders.)

Are those old Blue Note "two-fers" particularly collectible? I have a few different ones in my collection, and nearly every one of them were cut outs.

Are any of them harder to come by? Just wondered.

As many have already said, this was an outstanding series. Fabulous music, a lot of it released for the first time then, and the pressings are very good too - no sonic problems at all.

For some reason, they are mainly easy to find on eBay and gemm.com, and they are not expensive, unlike the 50s and 60s LPs, yet they sound just as good. (All that fuss about the earlier albums is just a lot of hype, rather like today's "safety" regulations. Back in the 60s, they were just LPs, and we enjoyed them but didn't go bananas like the eBay bidders.)

You have a habit of dropping these non-sequiters in your post that fascinate me. Care to elaborate? :lol: