Brother Jack McDuff: "The Heatin System"

I have never heard this lp set mentioned in this forum- is anyone familar with this date. my copy is badly, badly scratched and worn, without the cover as well--(probably from being treated like an outkast cd at a hip-hop style dance club) i can tell its mcduff and definetly george benson on guitar- but who is on sax, bass and drums? it sounds to be as a live date but again i am not sure....

....my favorite thing about the record is that it is so different from earlier mcduff recordings- some songs even look foward to the 'smooth funk' benson so famously recorded a few years later...

This is what Lord says for 'The Heatin System'. May not apply to all the double though.

Jack McDuff

[M3894-4]

The heating system:

Bobby Alston (tp) Don Myrick, David Young (ts,fl) Brother Jack McDuff (org,p,melodica) Marty Roberts (g) Phil Upchurch (b) Sam Jones (b-1) replaces Upchurch, Greg Williams (d) Frederick "Derf" Walker (cga)

prob. Chicago, c. 1971

Yes, Upchurch plays Fender bass on this one - I'd rather hear him on guitar. He plays with a pick, so the attack is rather percussive, but the groove he lays down is good. That guitarist Marty Roberts gets a little too much solo space for my taste .....

Sam Jones is only on two tracks. McDuff plays bluesy piano on two others.

Overall, this is a nice album - I made a cassette for my car and still play it. None of the soloists matches the leader, but it doesn't matter very much, somehow.

One of my German pressed LPs is warped at the outer edge, so I'd buy a CD reissue any day - wonder why they skipped this one so far. I think all would fit on one CD.

Edited by mikeweil

Several of the sideman are interesting:

Percussionist Fred Walker is the guy who collaborated with Ramsey Lewis and Earth, Wind & Fire as Derf Reklaw Rahim (he plays a very good solo on the title track and lays down an excellent groove); Donald Myrick played with the latter as well and was a busy studio saxist on the Chicago scene. That trumpeter, Bobby Alston, wasn't too bad - never heard of him again.

Yup always look forward to this one coming out on cd I have a few trakcs from samplers such as the heatin system and two others I guess

Always look out for the samplers if your lp is getting worn.... I attach the lp for those who ain't seen it and the samplers for some of mcduffs cadet stuff including the heatin system

sorry soulstation1: the lp set i was referring to has no panther theme. the principal songs are called: boiler room/pressure gauge/heatin system/+ some shorter cuts....

--ps are you named after Soul Station the album? that happens to be the only Mobley record i have. I never really "got" Mobley that much-- what else would you recommend I pick up?

some mobley i have and like

caddy for daddy (i still don't have this one, but it's one to get)

roll call (rvg)

third season (connoisseur)

no room for squares (rvg)

the turnaround (rvg)

straight no filter (rvg)

blakey's at the cafe bohemia vol 1/2 (rvg)

hank's mosaic set gets great reviews around here

mobley

Don't forget "Workout" and "Thinking of home". "Hi voltage" is also nice because Blue Mitchell is such a welcome change from Lee Morgan. In fact, I think I'll get that out and play it later.

MG

.... "Hi voltage" is also nice because Blue Mitchell is such a welcome change from Lee Morgan. In fact, I think I'll get that out and play it later.

MG

Good idea!

BTW - I have all the Mobleys and like 'em all - if anyone likes his playing it wouldn't be too bad an idea to get the Mosaic box with his 1950's sessions as long as its available.

roll call (rvg)

the turnaround (rvg)

straight no filter (rvg)

mobley

Don't forget "Workout" and "Thinking of home". "Hi voltage" is also nice because Blue Mitchell is such a welcome change from Lee Morgan. In fact, I think I'll get that out and play it later.

MG

Welcome change cuz its Blue Mitchell or cuz its not Lee Morgan?

If the former, :tup cuz I dig Blue a lot.

If the latter, :blink::wacko:

roll call (rvg)

the turnaround (rvg)

straight no filter (rvg)

mobley

MG

Welcome change cuz its Blue Mitchell or cuz its not Lee Morgan?

If the former, :tup cuz I dig Blue a lot.

If the latter, :blink::wacko:

Lee is fine; but he made so many records with Hank. Hank and Blue were both very lyrical players and go so well together. Lee was sweaty and funky and hard and provided a big contrast with Hank. Those albums with Lee all have a similar sound. "Hi voltage" sounds different because of Blue.

MG

sorry soulstation1: the lp set i was referring to has no panther theme. the principal songs are called: boiler room/pressure gauge/heatin system/+ some shorter cuts....

Soulstation was referring to another Jack McDuff record, which is coincidentally also called 'The Heatin System'. That one is from 1995, Concord Jazz Label, and among others features Larry Grenadier on bass.

Edited by phil_space