Mulgrew Miller Recommendations

LWayne

Mulgrew Miller will be coming to Pittsburgh at the end of February for a winter jazz festival. While I have enjoyed his playing live with the Buster Williams Quartet several years ago, I do not presently own any of his recordings. Looking for recommendations where to start & his key recordings.

Thanks.

Happy Fetivus!

LWayne :)

I recommend Wingspan. Recorded in 1987, with Kenny Garrett, Steve Nelson, Charnett Moffett, and Tony Reedus (and percussionist Rudy Bird). Strong playing by all, but especially the soloists, throughout the album. Not easy to come by, I think, being a 32 Jazz release, but a good one (The Sequel on MaxJazz really pales in comparison)

Edited by gnhrtg

I'll fourth the Yoshi's sets - fantastic trio material, energetic and exciting. These would probably give you a good sense of what you'd hear live these days.

I'd also recommend two early trio albums, Keys to the City (1985) and Work (1986), both of which were originally released on the Landmark label, but later offered as a two-fer on 32 Jazz under the title Chapters 1 & 2: Keys to the City / Work.

But yeah, the Yoshi volumes are great, and what I'd go for first.

I haven't heard the Yoshi's sets. In general, you won't go wrong with any of the Landmark dates (many reissued on 32jazz). Much of the Novus stuff sounded like a rehash to me. Of the Landmarks, one other that I really like is 'The Countdown', a quartet date with Joe Henderson. In addition to his work with Tony Williams in the late 80's, l liked his mid-80's work with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers (many recordings, the most easy to acquire are 'New York Scene' and 'Live At Kimballs', both on Concord).